Sugars

Options
I have been eating 5 servings of fruit (2 apples, 2 oranges, 1 banana) daily which is puting me over of my sugar totals for the day. Is this good sugar or bad?

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar, you're fine if it fits in your macro goals for total carbs. (Unless you have a medical condition that dictates otherwise, ie. diabetes)
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Some nutritionists advise not to eat more than one or two servings of fruit a day, and to make sure the rest of your 10 servings of produce comes from veg.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar, you're fine if it fits in your macro goals for total carbs. (Unless you have a medical condition that dictates otherwise, ie. diabetes)
    This. Sugar is neither good nor bad. Molecularly, sugar is all identical, wherever it comes from. Stick to your total carb limits and don't worry about sugar, barring a specific medical need (and even diabetics watch carbs, not sugar.)
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Added sugars is what you need to worry about, not the natural fruit and veggie sugars. Unfortunately MFP does not split the two out. Obviously if you are a professional athlete or people with medical conditions are might need to monitor their fruit/veggie sugar intake as well, but the majority of people on here don't need to worry about it.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    This. Sugar is neither good nor bad. Molecularly, sugar is all identical, wherever it comes from. Stick to your total carb limits and don't worry about sugar, barring a specific medical need (and even diabetics watch carbs, not sugar.)

This!! All the way around and I am a type 2 diabetic and do not track sugar just focus on Carbs(first for me), Protein, and Fats.....
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Not to nitpick, but sugars are far from molecularly the same.