Is my old or new workout schedule good?

Options
I got bored with too much gym. So I made some changes by adding yoga in my new schedule. I eliminated rowing machine by seeing a decrease in my bust size after exercising. It used to put pressure on my chest. So I am afraid to go more down. Well below I am listing my schedules in great detail. Please don't get bored.

My old workout schedule burning about 3190 calories per week:
M-F (Gym; 20 minutes on rowing machine, 20 on elliptical, and 20 on treadmill burning about 520 calories per day).
M, W, F (Gym; 30 minutes of strength training)
M-Sun (Home; 20 minute walk after dinner burning about 590 calories all 7 days)

My new workout schedule.burning about 2015 calories per week:
M, W, F (Gym; 20 minutes on elliptical and 20 on treadmill burning about 363 calories per day).
M, W, F (Gym; 30 minutes strength training)
T, Th (Yoga center; 1 hour of yoga burning about 336 calories both days)
M-Sun (Home; 20 minute walk after dinner burning about 590 calories all 7 days)

I am really wondering if my new exercise regime is still good for weight loss. I lost 26 pounds through the old workout schedule and consuming 1200 calories daily. Further weight loss can be slow and gradual I agree. How many minutes on cardio is good to do? And how many calories should I burn doing cardio? Well above all, is my new workout schedule good?

Replies

• Heitor70
    Heitor70 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Your new work out seems good. If you lost 26lbs steadily you must be doing something right, congratulations! I don't know all the details of your diet or your goals. I am just guessing, if you want to continue losing at the same pace you might want to eat back your work out calories but not everyday (on non-lifting days) The last lbs are always the hardest because the process is slower. Adding strength training is an excellent decision. Eating at a calorie deficit, at the end of the day, is what makes us lose weight. However, cardio and strength training is what makes the process natural, healthy and rewarding. Good luck!!
  • StrongLife
    StrongLife Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    My current routine is surprisingly similar to your old routine. I just love the rowing machine! I think you have a good balance in either one so I applaud you in shaking things up. Personally I like to change things up every 3 months and feel more people would see results if they do that too. I just get too bored doing same things all the time.
  • iqbalkaurthin
    iqbalkaurthin Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I would recommend that you add High Intensity Interval Training to your elliptical and treadmill workouts. If you dont know HIIT, just google and you will find a lot of material on internet. This will help you build twitch muslce. It has been proven that cardio in steady state heart rate zone actually makes you fat over time (by increasing fat %). There are other ways of doing HIIT if you get bored of gym, (like circuit training videos by Jillian Michaels)

I personally feel that your weight loss may not be an issue but maintenance can become one since 1200 calories a day is not sustainable for ever. You can't always refuse going out for meals or attending parties. After I reached BMI of 24.5 I increased my calorie intake (started eating back exercise calories) and focussed more on building muscle/ reducing fat.

I havent lost any pounds in last 5 months but I have dropped a size. I am just 5 feet and I eat on an everage 1500 calories a day now. It allows for certain treats like chocolate or wine in moderation and keeps me from binging. And yes its better to zig zag calories, 1200 for couple of days and 1600 for couple of days. Our body is very smart and it just drops metabolic rate if we eat too less every day. This is damaging to weight loss and maintenance goals.

In summary, add HIIT to your workout and atleast 2-3 days a week eat 1600 calories, you will get to your goal faster and stronger!
  • manjila
    manjila Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    wow...I think you are on right track....The point to keep in mind is not to get bored...so if this new regime works for you stick to it...all the best !!!