Need ideas for my kidlet

Options
I have an overweight 8 year old.
I need some help with food idea.
He was diagnosed with Sensory Integration Disorder which entails very strong textural aversion.

So, with that...
He only eats DRY CRUNCHY foods.

I've tried the deceptively delicious cook books... but he doesn't eat any of the recipes.

It also doesn't help that all my inlaws and husband are morbidly obese and say that he's still to thin and sneak him soda, chips and DON'T try to help me.

I've tried bribing him.
I've tried paying him.
I've tried charts.
I've tried having the DR talk to him about at least trying fruits and veggies.
I've tried only cooking one meal and if he doesn't eat it then go to bed hungry.

He plays basketball in the winter...
And he is one of the fastest kids on the team.

I've tried some of the playstation move games...

He knows he's overweight.
I think the gym teacher was giving the bigger kids a hard time.

I don't want to start an eating disorder or anything... But he knows he's not allowed soda and it never fails everyday when I get home from work he tries to hide his pepsi and says well nanny let me have it.

What would be some creative ways to try and get some more nutrition in there?
All he eats is sugar and starches...

Replies

• fanarad
    fanarad Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    As I'm reading this I am actually eating a dry crunchy low calorie food - air popped popcorn with just a little melted butter and salt on it - delicious especially when just warmed and not too bad for you! Lately I've been dealing with trying to get my boyfriend to eat healthier (and he is JUST as stubborn as a kid when it comes to eating healthy foods) and some things that have helped me so far are steamed veggies with a little margarine and salt on it, pasta with homemade tomato sauce (I have a great recipe if you want one), veggie chips (HALF the calories of regular chips and awesome!), Crispy minis, and dessert flavoured fat free yogurts (only 35 calories per cup and the flavours out there are amazing). I know that most of these are still junk food but at least they're a healthier alternative to the full fat foods out there! Oh also if he likes french fries try baking them in the oven on a baking sheet (either the frozen ones or real fresh potatoes cut into strips). You can also do that with sweet potatoes and they are delicious! If they're crispy enough he just may eat them :)
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Get a twitch off of a tree and light his butt up. Don't give him choices. Be the authority. Be the benevolent dictator that mothers aught to be in these situations.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I've read that sometimes it takes 15 tries to get kids to like new things. Keep trying! Kiwis? Strawberries? Satsumas? Those taste like candy! LOL I would definitely cut soda and juices. I wouldn't even have it in the house so it's not an option. If it's there and he's used to it, he'll want it. If it's not in the house and he gets hungry, he'll eat. Can you start with making him eat 5 bites of something to try it?

I'm trying to think of stuff that is dry crunchy....pepitas? Almonds? Maybe RAW veggies would be better than cooked because they are crunchy still? Carrot? Apple?
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    He was diagnosed with Sensory Integration Disorder which entails very strong textural aversion.

So, with that...
    He only eats DRY CRUNCHY foods.

What would be some creative ways to try and get some more nutrition in there?
    All he eats is sugar and starches...

Urgh. Well, first off, I feel for him. I have sensory issues and *cringe*. Anyway...

My first thought was wasabi peas which led to freeze dried fruits and veggies. I know Gerber sells freeze dried strawberries and bananas. Still sugar but possible more nutritious than other options, also worth noting (imo) ridiculously expensive. Though they are my first thoughts. I'm sure I'll be back, this is the kind of thing that will have me thinking for a few days.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Get a twitch off of a tree and light his butt up. Don't give him choices. Be the authority. Be the benevolent dictator that mothers aught to be in these situations.

So you suggest she beat her child who has a disorder?! WTF?!
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Twitch off a tree? I thought it was a joke because surely no one does that, right?! Yikes.
  • ladymiseryali
    Options
    Well first you need to get your husband and other relatives to stop sneaking him food. They're not helping him at all. If they can't do that, then you have every right to rip them a new one whenever they do.

As for getting him to eat better, have you tried giving him Kashi Go Lean Crunch? It's got as much protein as an egg, and it's VERY crunchy. I love Kashi, and if you give him a serving size, it's only about 200 calories. Does he like granola? You can probably find some good crunchy granola bars. Nuts are crunchy and good for you too.
  • ladymiseryali
    Options

So you suggest she beat her child who has a disorder?! WTF?!

Well, FWIW, I would do the same thing to my child if he was sneaking pop, behind my back when he dang well knows he shouldn't. (Which is something OP mentioned in her original post.)

She also said that her husband and relatives sneak him the soda. If anyone should be scolded, it's them. And since I don't believe in hitting kids as discipline, my point still stands.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Hmm...sounds like you could use some help from a dietitian who may have better suggestions for introducing new foods to children who are picky eaters. Or perhaps even a psychologist since he has a diagnosed condition.
  • JustJennie13
    Options

I am sure this was so helpful.... READ the post... diagnosed with a disorder.... maybe you should have kept your comment to yourself and kept scrolling.
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    dehydraded foods? Beef jurky
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

What the heck?
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

Pretty harsh for a kid diagnosed with Sensory Integration Disorder. He can't help it. Beating him won't fix anything, except maybe make him hate you.

OP, try beef jerky, baked potato rounds/hash browns (no oil) with pureed vegetables mixed in before cooking. Shredded Wheat cereal with just a little sugar on top, homemade Chicken in a Biscuit crackers (made with chicken broth) homemade goldfish crackers or homemade Cheez Its, fruit leather, dehydrated veggie sticks, or air-puffed veggie chips.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I think your first step has to be to get the rest of the family on board. You're fighting a losing battle if you're doing one thing, and other family members are doing the opposite. You might need to have the whole family meet with the doctor or nutritionist or whoever. Give them articles to read about childhood obesity. Have them watch your child and other children in his peer group so they can see that he struggles with stamina or agility. You need their support so that you are all supporting your child. Because otherwise, you're just playing good cop/bad cop.
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Another thought, I don't know your situation but have you consulted an OT (occupational therapist) regarding the sensory issues? It might be extremely beneficial. And definitely much less stressful on you... because yeah, you could totally cater to his "tastes" for dry and crunchy foods (and I think you should to a point) but it doesn't help him grow into the person he needs to be. I mean... I don't like clothes touching me but it's not practical that I walk around naked when it was 8F here this morning. (And I'm sorry if any of that sounds like I'm trying to parent your kid or be pushy and say, "you need to do this" ... I'm just thinking as a former kid that would have an all out fit over things touching me. I'm totally grateful for my mom and my OTs and everyone else in my life that's helped me get to where I am today).

Dry and crunchy sweet potato "fries".... regular fries can get all dry and crunchy and delicious... why not it's more healthy counterpart??

ETA: scrambled eggs cooked *really dry* with bits (I'm thinking grated small) raw vegetables in them...

Broccoli slaw. It's dry and crunchy.
  • cleomouri
    cleomouri Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Roasted chickpeas have become my 'go to' dry crunch snack.

In terms of crunchy snacks it's better for you than a lot of others. I'm not a huge fan of popcorn as it gets stuck in my retainer and is a PITA to get out. Best things really is that since chickpeas don't have a lot of flavor on their own you can season them with just about anything! I prefer mine tossed with a little salt and garlic powder. Mmmmmm. Even my 20 month old eats them. They're also pretty inexpensive. I get mine by the can and they average about 85cents a can in my area.

I'd highly recommend eliminating things from the house that you don't want him to have. Like another poster said, if it's in the house, he'll find a way to get it. Heck, I did that for myself!

I'd also recommend sitting down with your husband and having a discussion about your sons eating habits. Outline your concerns. Even if you don't get him on board with your plans at least get him to agree to not sabotage your efforts. Then tackle the in-laws. Now, I hate confrontation, and the conversation you have with them is likely not to be pretty if your husband isn't backing you up 100%; but be blunt with them. Tell them there is a legitimate health concern and your asking for their help in regulating his diet. If they don't feel they can help you with that then you have no choice but to limit his visits to their house. The conversation probably will go better if THEIR son (your husband) runs it, but it'll depend on how much he's willing to back you.

I get that he has a sensory disorder. I don't, so I can't begin to imagine what trying different things is like for him. In our house growing up we had to have at least one bite/year old we were for everything on our plate. If we did at least that and still didn't like it then we were allowed to leave the rest on our plates.

From the little reading I did via Google it seems one of the treatments for tactile disorder is stimulation. To create a 'diet' of stimulation to get the brain use to the new signals and learn to understand them. Now, I've no medical background and I'm sure you know more about the disorder than I since, after all, he's your son; but it would seem to me that it's important to start now with getting him to try new things. As some else said earlier, it can take 10+ offerings of whatever it is for them to really decide if they don't like it or not.

Other than that, tough love. You can't cater to his every whim and quirk. If he REALLY wants options then I'd do this. Make dinner for the family and offer it. If he doesn't want it then tell him his other option is a PB&J sandwich. Those are his two options. If he doesn't like either, oh well. You aren't a short order chef. I don't know if he uses his disorder as an excuse not to try new foods, but if he does I'd see it as just and excuse and a way to have some leverage to get his way. Be firm. Don't give in.

He's got to learn someday. If not now, when?
  • leopardjunkie
    Options
    I am sure you have an OT, but maybe not maybe the ot can reccomend some food suggestions :)

Our kids pretty much only eat crunchy too. I am with other others how bout nuts, pistachios, sunflower, pepitos, homemade trail mix with preztles and dried fruit, popcorn with minimal butter or some minimal sprinkle flavors. dried fruit in moderation as it can be high in sugars. wasabi peas are great fun :) almonds all crunch and have some great qualities. rice thins with humus if he will eat it for protien. Cut out juice and pop to the best of your ability.

granola, carrots, celery brocoli are krunchy dried edamande

will he eat other stuff it if is in somthing crunchy? for instance if you put some protien inside a wonton wrapper and lightly fry it in coconut oil it will get super flaky and crunchy not ideal, but it could be used to reaplace somthing less ideal and get some protien that is not found in lots of the crunchy foods. Toasted egg sandwhich the crunchy on the toast might help east the egg.

if you can not win the battle on food with the inlaws (shame on them) and with the child UP his exercise. bike or walk with him anywhere you can. if he holds onto or ride in the cart at the store..he now gets to walk. Find an indoor trampoline park in your area it is super fun outlet for sensory kids, not to expensive and great exercise!!!!

don"t use food as bribes if he has food issues, you could set your self up possibly for further issues, if he associates food for a reward. not saying that you are, but if you are proceed with caution

I am assuming the inlaws watch your kid after school and that is where he is getting sugar and other stuff that is not helping, will they give him better stuff if you keep a stash for him at their place :) Or take them to the dr with him, maybe the dr will embarss them enough talking about the damage they are doing that they will get the point. If they don"t listen and it is with in your means I would look at finding someone else to watch him if even temparaily so they get the point that you are serious and not playing games and will protect your child :) Maybe a nice young fit sitter that has a dog ha ha and they can all go for walks until you get home!

probably too young for the peer presure and life lesson of public swim lessons :) to help change his ways
    how bout pita chips with humus ? you can even make them homemade for a decent price

use the swtich for the inlaws!! HA HA
  • leopardjunkie
    Options
    homemade kale chips, healthy salty crunchy :) and you can even add dry flavors like ranch or others :)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Get a dehydrator, then veggies and some fruits will be crunchy.

Also, nuts for protein.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I am the mom of a challenging child too so i can empathize. However, I don't have any non-dinosaur foods (meat, vegetables, fruit, nuts, minimal dairy) in the house. It's made a big difference on her health already.

I'm hoping that the struggles we have now will be worth it in the long run. She might not continue to eat this way as an adult but she will always know how to get healthy again when she chooses.

So how is your child, who is 8, getting his hands on Pepsi? Is it in the house? Why? Or if he is at someone else's house, why do they refuse to honour your instructions when it is in the best interest of his health? Perhaps you need to point out that they are sabotaging his health, that it isn't a small thing, and that it must stop or you will find alternate care.

A little harsh, I know, but that's just me.