Chick Peas

Options
JayStu
JayStu Posts: 332 Member
I bought a can of chick peas as a recipe called for them and I am lucky if I used 1/4 of the can, so I wanted to know. How do you all like to use chick peas?

Replies

• 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    I put them in salads & chili. I have also mashed them into my hamburger to make a patty.
  • FGVC1188
    FGVC1188 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I eat them out of the can. Pour a little red wine vinegar in there, shake it around and just eat it with a spoon.
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    roast them in your oven with a bit of olive oil and salt, delicious snack :)
  • henkemonica
    henkemonica Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Make humus with chick peas. You will have to look up a recipe. I make mine in a small food processor.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    One can garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
    One avocado, sliced small
    One container grape tomatoes, cut in halves
    Light drizzle of Italian dressing.

That's my dinner at least once a week. Sometimes I add corn.

Roasted garbanzo beans are really good too. Spread them on a cookie sheet, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with garlic salt, bake.

Plain out of the can with just salt on them is good too! Finger food!
  • sbrooks0387
    sbrooks0387 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    i coat mine in a little olive oil, parsley and garlic powder. Then i eat them plain or add the to salads/soups, or i mix them into pretty much everything (millet, just them with some sunflower seeds and/or almonds is a yummy snack)
  • AmyDee2
    AmyDee2 Posts: 29
    Options
    I love to eat them plain, but chick peas are a great substitute for kidney beans in chili.
    I also take my chick peas and make a tahini sauce and pour a little bit of the tahini sauce over the chick peas (yummy).
    I have made my own homemade vegan burgers with chick peas and also made homemade hummus.

I will have to try the roasting them in the oven now.

I buy my chick peas in a bag and I soak them overnight and then boil them the next day....I get more for my money that way!!:wink:
  • cleomouri
    cleomouri Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Roasted Chickpeas are my go-to crunchy snack now.

A 1/4 cup of those typically kills any cravings I've got. I try to get an air tight container in my kitchen at all times for cravings. Stops me from snacking on other things like Goldfish crackers.
  • jesekelynne
    Options
    When you roast them make sure to dry them well first. olive oil, salt, garlic and paprika YUMMM! I make my hummus with chick peas, lemon, garlic, tahina, and you can add other things to taste like sun dried tomato, roasted peppers, or calamata olives. There is also a seasoning that a friend of mine brings me from Israel called Zartar (sp?)...I don't know where to get it around where I live, but it def makes it taste great.
  • cleomouri
    cleomouri Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Check online for spices.

There's a garam masala blend I fell in love with that our grocery store randomly stopped carrying. I found it online on Amazon for a fraction of the cost as compared to what I was paying for it at the store and that's with the shipping.

My MIL has a subscription to some spice club too. I don't know how often she gets packs from them, but she's gotten to try lots of new spices that way.
  • janetcomeskey
    Options
    If you have a food whiz put rest of can into it add squeeze 1 lemon, clove of garlic, bit of salt, table spoon of tahini paste (optional but better consistency) and a drizzle of oliv oil and whiz until smooth. (hummus) great to spread on toast or healther to dip veges into. Ifts too thick just add a bit of water.

OR
    add chickpeas to roasted pumpkin, kumera, spinach leaves and feta cheese to make a salad - low fat greek yogurt dressing.:tongue:
  • JayStu
    JayStu Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. With all these different suggestions, I'm sure I'll be able use them up
  • apittmanrn
    apittmanrn Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    roast them in your oven with a bit of olive oil and salt, delicious snack :)

this....
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I combine olive oil, chili powder, season salt, basil and oregano mix with the peas and roast in oven for 20 minutes. Keep in a zip lock bag.