How many carbs?!

Options
I seem to have a TON of conflicting info. According to MFP I'm supposed to have 186-219 grams of carbs.

Now, I want to lose weight and fat and I do 40 mins 5 days/week cardio, as well as strength training 5 days/week.

I've read I'm only supposed to have 70 grams!

I'm hungry and confused :(

HOW MANY CARBS?!

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    I lose and gain on about 250 carbs. I know, I know, I'm a special snowflake.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, MFP puts the protein percentage too low. Especially if you are doing strength training. Most people recommend changing your macros to 40Carb/30Pro/30Fat. So however many carbs that works out for you at your calorie level.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I have about 200-230 a day. I am on maintenance now but I did that for weight loss too. I am a vegan though (so I eat lots of lentils, potatoes, quinoa, beans, rice, fruits, veggies.....stuff that has carbs)
  • gwicks54
    gwicks54 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Unless you are carb sensitive or other medical reason you can have as many as you like within your calorie goals. I am on 100 or less per doctors orders because of tryclerides and I still watch my calories.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Unless you are carb sensitive or other medical reason you can have as many as you like within your calorie goals. I am on 100 or less per doctors orders because of tryclerides and I still watch my calories.

This! And hello fellow carb triglyceride sufferer :)
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I seem to have a TON of conflicting info. According to MFP I'm supposed to have 186-219 grams of carbs.

Now, I want to lose weight and fat and I do 40 mins 5 days/week cardio, as well as strength training 5 days/week.

I've read I'm only supposed to have 70 grams!

I'm hungry and confused :(

HOW MANY CARBS?!

MFP macros are set according to standard healthy eating guidelines and the protein is the minimum so technically the carbs are a maximum. Aside from that there are numerous different medical commercial diets, from sensible to downright crazy, it's up to you which you follow but I'd suggest one that is based on a large body of scientific research not cherry picked studies or half baked theories. Many people set the amount of protein and fats they feel they need and let the carbs take care of the remaining calories. Setting carbs too low often means a very regimented or very restrictive diet and can risk not getting all the nutrients your body needs.

If you are hungry you are not eating the right balance of protein,. fibre, water and healthy fats, all of which work together to confer satjety. Be sure you are eating a balance of all the nutrients you need for health - nine servings of low sugar fruits and non starchy vegetables, three servings of reduced fat dairy, oily fish regularly, plenty of fibre and mineral rich foods, protein and fats little and often starting with breakfast. If you choose to cut down on or eliminate starches like grains, beans and lentils you must substantially increase the amount of nuts and seeds to compensate, don't underestimate how much.
  • whenday
    whenday Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have my carbs set low to around 25% of my calories. I feel better cutting out sugars and processed grains. I feel like I have my eating under control since cutting that out which is most likely due to the satiety I feel when I have a higher amount of protein and fats in my diet.

Another thing to consider if you are hungry all the time is that you exercise a lot but what are your calorie goals for the day? Are you getting enough calories with your exercise calories figured back into what you are allowed? You may want to figure out your BMR and TDEE and increase your calories accordingly to your activity level. See this group for more information:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less

Or

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/7965-in-place-of-a-road-map