Really need help with protein powders?

Options
13»

Replies

• jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    There seems to be a few ignorant ppl on this thread... Claiming "ridiculous" with such bias on a topic that is and never will be definitive.

The egg whites "thing" was not shot down. Your body can't digest those proteins as effectively - almost 50% LESS effectively. Getting the protein value of 6 eggs would require 12 to do so in that method.

The guy who said all this misinformation - why don't you read instead of just skim over everything and then add your two cents in?

There is plenty of debate on the topic of protein - how much is needed, when to take it, which ones are "complete" cycling, etc. None of us are going to come to any real conclusion to this topic. The great thing about the internet is all the info is right at our fingertips. The bad thing - anyone can write the info and edit it. Much of the stuff we learned 20 years ago has been proven wrong - x amount of sets, reps (also a topic we can not fully agree on).

It seems that everyones opinion is "fact" to them (myself included at times). The best we can do is not go searching for info to support our opinions (why would we do that? We already think it anyway!). We should instead - look for info to dispute our opinions and try to see topics from all sides instead of being just plain ignorant.

As for the cycling - search around and you'll see... - so why should your powders be any different? Not just with proteins, but with a lot of foods, if you eat the same things over and over you can start to lack the enzymes needed to effectively break down other foods and need a re-introduction period before you cans tart eating them normally again. This also has been shown to be an affective way to avoid developing intolerances and/or mild allergies to your regular protein source. It's the same in humans as it is in dogs. Changing their food every now and then is best too. Googling "protein cycling" may not give you the results and thinking it's proving your points - dig deeper.

I was not afraid to be proven wrong (we were both 1/2 wrong) and none of you should either. if you knew it all you wouldn't be on a chat site trying to learn more info and arguing with the mass ignorance that runs wild here.

I did search around as I said and did not see anything with regard to whey protein. Again I ask, please could you direct me to where you saw it as I cannot find anything.

The reason I said you should cycle whey is because most vegan based protein powders have 3-4 different protein sources instead of one. It's not a whey thing, it's an all food thing. Even people who take vegan protein of one kind should cycle. I thought it was cleared up with the last post. all food in your diet in rotation is healthy for you - as some of you like to say "everything in moderation".

It's possible that we are digging too deep on these topics for the average person who will not have more than 1 shake a day...

Credible research is hard to find on all of these topics, which is why most of us find it on websites with no doctors saying one thing or another (doctors don't make money on healthy people too...). So for people to say - post a link - maybe we should also ask how the particular study was funded as well? Just because there are studies (even the one supporting my claim that egg whites are not (as) digestible as cooked or liquid egg whites - I didn't dig that deep in the study.
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    .... *sigh*

First of all, regardless of the raw egg thing (which has been plenty shot down) I said my protein powder had egg in it. That's FAIRLY different from cracking an egg into a shake. Way to reading comprehension bro.

Second of all, I specifically and CLEARLY stated 'while dieting' and 'to prevent muscle loss' for that protein requirement. Someone not eating a deficit doesn't have to worry about muscle loss as much and therefore doesn't need the extra protein (but it also won't hurt them and muscle synthesis requires SOME protein although not many studies exist that study hard core muscle building populations)

....never mind, I just looked at jjrichards profile. I'm just going to....stop talking to him.

OP - sorry your thread got derailed, but you'll notice almost all of us said the same thing. You may not NEED any protein powder at all, but if you decide to go that route just go to a big nutrition store and ask what they sell in sample sizes to try.

Ignorance is bliss. "but you'll notice almost all of us said the same thing" said the blind woman.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking. - G.S Patton

I'm not going to get in a flame war about diet/nutrition to someone who's losing 1.7 lb monthly. Whats that 250 calorie deficit daily? Well here is a compliment - good for you that you were able to keep it up for 19 months! takes some serious dedication to remove 2 slices of bread from the diet every day!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    There seems to be a few ignorant ppl on this thread... Claiming "ridiculous" with such bias on a topic that is and never will be definitive.

The egg whites "thing" was not shot down. Your body can't digest those proteins as effectively - almost 50% LESS effectively. Getting the protein value of 6 eggs would require 12 to do so in that method.

The guy who said all this misinformation - why don't you read instead of just skim over everything and then add your two cents in?

There is plenty of debate on the topic of protein - how much is needed, when to take it, which ones are "complete" cycling, etc. None of us are going to come to any real conclusion to this topic. The great thing about the internet is all the info is right at our fingertips. The bad thing - anyone can write the info and edit it. Much of the stuff we learned 20 years ago has been proven wrong - x amount of sets, reps (also a topic we can not fully agree on).

It seems that everyones opinion is "fact" to them (myself included at times). The best we can do is not go searching for info to support our opinions (why would we do that? We already think it anyway!). We should instead - look for info to dispute our opinions and try to see topics from all sides instead of being just plain ignorant.

As for the cycling - search around and you'll see... - so why should your powders be any different? Not just with proteins, but with a lot of foods, if you eat the same things over and over you can start to lack the enzymes needed to effectively break down other foods and need a re-introduction period before you cans tart eating them normally again. This also has been shown to be an affective way to avoid developing intolerances and/or mild allergies to your regular protein source. It's the same in humans as it is in dogs. Changing their food every now and then is best too. Googling "protein cycling" may not give you the results and thinking it's proving your points - dig deeper.

I was not afraid to be proven wrong (we were both 1/2 wrong) and none of you should either. if you knew it all you wouldn't be on a chat site trying to learn more info and arguing with the mass ignorance that runs wild here.

I did search around as I said and did not see anything with regard to whey protein. Again I ask, please could you direct me to where you saw it as I cannot find anything.

The reason I said you should cycle whey is because most vegan based protein powders have 3-4 different protein sources instead of one. It's not a whey thing, it's an all food thing. Even people who take vegan protein of one kind should cycle. I thought it was cleared up with the last post. all food in your diet in rotation is healthy for you - as some of you like to say "everything in moderation".

It's possible that we are digging too deep on these topics for the average person who will not have more than 1 shake a day...

Credible research is hard to find on all of these topics, which is why most of us find it on websites with no doctors saying one thing or another (doctors don't make money on healthy people too...). So for people to say - post a link - maybe we should also ask how the particular study was funded as well? Just because there are studies (even the one supporting my claim that egg whites are not (as) digestible as cooked or liquid egg whites - I didn't dig that deep in the study.

You mentioned whey - whey was specifically asked about. I have not looked into it in any detail but did see suggestions to cycle other protein powders.

Your quote
    As far as powders go- I really dislike whey, however if you must use whey, you should cycle it (just as you would cycle greens).

What I have seen when I did google, as you suggested, specifically stated you do not have to cycle whey.

ETA: I find it ironic that you are implying some type of bias from research done be people who do not recommend slamming a protein shake after a workout. What possible benefit would there be to them to do that - if there was, they are definitely not being paid by the supplement industry.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    .... *sigh*

First of all, regardless of the raw egg thing (which has been plenty shot down) I said my protein powder had egg in it. That's FAIRLY different from cracking an egg into a shake. Way to reading comprehension bro.

Second of all, I specifically and CLEARLY stated 'while dieting' and 'to prevent muscle loss' for that protein requirement. Someone not eating a deficit doesn't have to worry about muscle loss as much and therefore doesn't need the extra protein (but it also won't hurt them and muscle synthesis requires SOME protein although not many studies exist that study hard core muscle building populations)

....never mind, I just looked at jjrichards profile. I'm just going to....stop talking to him.

OP - sorry your thread got derailed, but you'll notice almost all of us said the same thing. You may not NEED any protein powder at all, but if you decide to go that route just go to a big nutrition store and ask what they sell in sample sizes to try.

Ignorance is bliss. "but you'll notice almost all of us said the same thing" said the blind woman.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking. - G.S Patton

I'm not going to get in a flame war about diet/nutrition to someone who's losing 1.7 lb monthly. Whats that 250 calorie deficit daily? Well here is a compliment - good for you that you were able to keep it up for 19 months! takes some serious dedication to remove 2 slices of bread from the diet every day!

How on earth do you know what peoples goals, starting points, lifestyle impacts are?. Your edit is rude and ignorant.