1500 calories a day Scale not budging (Male)

Options
I started off at 290 about may of last year and am now down to 190.
I am 18, and have cut my calories to 1500.
The scale is not budging even after my cut calories.

I run everyday, and weight lift for wrestling.
What the heck am I doing wrong.

I signed up hoping for help and inspiration, because it's been 4 weeks and I actually gained a lb.

Replies

• emilyc85
    emilyc85 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    If you eat too few calories, your body will hoard them and turn them to fat because they think they are starving. You need to be eating more, and eating back your exercise calories.
    I know it sounds backwards, but that seems to be the way things work :)

Good luck to you in your fitness goals!
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options

What the heck am I doing wrong.
    You aren't eating enough! Figure out your TDEE and eat 10-20% below that.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    take a diet break if you haven't. It's been about 8 months. Your activity levels are probably too high as well
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of weight for a short period of time, it tends to slow as you get nearer your goal, and yes you are eating too little, eat more real, raw foods.
  • vizsla99
    vizsla99 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your profile pic. Don't confuse weight loss with loss of body fat. Judging from your arm, you look pretty buff with not a lot of fat. At your age, I doubt you have much more you could lose.
  • lamos1
    lamos1 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your profile pic. Don't confuse weight loss with loss of body fat. Judging from your arm, you look pretty buff with not a lot of fat. At your age, I doubt you have much more you could lose.

This^^^^^^! You look like you're in great shape and any more of a weight loss may be too much! If you're in a healthy range of your BMI, I wouldn't worry about it! Like I said, You look to be in Great Shape! Good job on all the hard work!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Trying eating 1000 calorie more
  • Josiahc
    Options
    Are you trying to gain or lose? If you're trying to gain, at 18 yrs old and training/wrestling, you definitely need a higher calorie intake! If trying to lose, cut about 250 calories out of your diet and see what happens. If you lose weight, than you know you're in a deficit and you're doing the right thing. Hope that helps!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to completely ditch the "weight" goal. Start focusing on some fitness and physique goals and start learning more about nutrition. You're 18, male, and 190 lbs. 1500 calories is not even close to enough for a man your age and size to maintain the level of fitness you're going for.

More food + a good strength training and fitness routine = faster, stronger, leaner you.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to gain or lose? If you're trying to gain, at 18 yrs old and training/wrestling, you definitely need a higher calorie intake! If trying to lose, cut about 250 calories out of your diet and see what happens. If you lose weight, than you know you're in a deficit and you're doing the right thing. Hope that helps!
    You want an 18 year old man who weighs 190 pounds who is currently eating only 1500 calories to eliminate an additional 250 calories? Wha???:noway:
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    DO what we did when I was wrestling, wear the garbage bag suit for running and take lots of laxatives... :flowerforyou:
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    If your wrestling coach is telling you to eat 1500 calories, tell him to go F himself.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    take a diet break if you haven't. It's been about 8 months. Your activity levels are probably too high as well

This would be my advice. Take a few months and eat maintenance. Maybe even a slight surplus while you bulk up a bit. Then resume your cut after a few months. You've been in a deficit for too long.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    You're a man. Men get to eat 1800 a day MINIMUM! So up your exercise and eat more! Yes I'm jealous. Girls get 1200 a day MINIMUM. Enjoy your extra cals --- DUDE!
  • akhilton
    Options

Think I agree - run every other day and x-train the other day, swim or cycle... you need to give your body a kick start.

That said - if that photo is of you, you look very slim with muscle, it could be the weight training is building muscle especially well at the moment...

Also, you are male and 18....have you checked your height recently? don't forget you can carry on growing until about 21...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

^^this. Assuming you have been at a consistent caloric deficit (ignoring the odd day or two here and there).

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html

When you come off the diet break, estimate your TDEE and take a 15 - 20% cut off that.
  • akhilton
    Options
    @emanyalpsid I keep seeing you in forums and wanting to say that your before/after is brilliant!