Anyone know about Plantar Faciitis?

Options

Replies

• LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Yes I have it. Stretches with exercise band will help over time. there is no quick fix. good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • eandrsmom
    eandrsmom Posts: 119
    Options
    1) good shoes all the time. I am an Asics junkie.
    2) stretching three times a day if you can.
    3) Advil and ice massage when inflamed. Mine would be visibly swollen, red and hot to the touch.
    4) roll on a tennis ball when you are sitting around.

Mine was horrendous for about 6 months. Killed my tennis and walking workouts. But it is recoverable. :) Good luck!!!
  • kimmy3000
    Options
    The best thing is to get an arch for your shoe. It's caused my the lack of support on ur arch. The cost abit though!!!
  • pstaceyca
    pstaceyca Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    bump
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Go see a podiatrist and do a round of physical therapy.

They need to do an x-ray to see if you have a heel spur too.
  • msqdpie
    msqdpie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am the Extreme Side of this, Heal Spur, I tried all Kinds of things, I ended up having Surgery, I'm Recovering from right now, For me it was the Only thing I could do, I had to Stop working~out. And Re~gained all I'd Lost Plus a New 10 lbs, Go see a Good Podiatrist. All the Above Advice is Good as well.
  • chelovik
    chelovik Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Had it for 1.5 years, one word.....DANSKOS

They are orthopedic clogs, corrected my issue in three days!
  • jackiebo
    jackiebo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    All the above advice, including the icing, stretching, massage with a tennis ball, and the thing that really helped me was arch supports. It takes time.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Thank You for all the good suggestions. I never thought of Crocs! I have been trying to find a good pair of house slippers that dont make noise and wake everyone up when I get up in the night. I did notice that when I started stretching in the morning it is getting better. I am hoping to start working out harder and dont want to cause it to get worse. Im sure taking some weight off will help too.

Nooooo don't use Crocs! I went to the foot doctor when I had plantar fasciitis (sp?) and he said that was the WORST shoe for a condition like this because, while comfortable, they have no support. Find a good, supportive shoe, use inserts, do the stretches others have suggested. If it doesn't get better - see a doctor. I ended up getting a cortisone shot to help with the pain and inflammation and it really helped as well - hopefully stretches work before you head down that route!
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Don't scare yourself by reading too much about it. Do what the doc says and stay positive
  • robynbjohnson
    Options
    I had this a while ago and bought Birkenstock sandals and Alegria sandals. I think any of the heel lower balancing kind of sneakers are probably good too. When it is bad, don't walk or stand in bare feet as it will make it worse!
  • sthem5
    sthem5 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I dealt with this for about 5 years off and on. It is very painful. I would echo the others in getting a good pair of shoes with great support. I practically Iive in tennis shoes with special made orthotics that you can move from shoe to shoe. DO NOT get a cortisone/steroid shot!! They break down your muscles and tendons and make things worse over time. It isn't worth the instant pain relief for more long term problems. I have had a night splint that really helped me too. (Got that at the ortho doc) It's kind of like a lightweight cast that keeps your toes in a slight stretch all night thus getting rid of the "First morning pain". It took about a month in that and that is when I felt the most improvement. My friend, who is a runner, also developed this and the orthopedic doctor taped the bottom of his foot. There are YOU Tube vids that show you how to do this. He swears it worked for him. NEVER stop stretching your feet even when it gets better. I also agree that ice, rolling your foot on a tennis ball or deep tissue massage and Aleve will help you through it. If all this fails, I have heard that a therapy called Prolotherapy will help this type of problem. You can look it up on the internet. It is a series of shots given 4-6 weeks in between time. It is all natural shots that create a controlled inflammation and tells your body that you are hurt there and it sends healing to the area. It is supposed to build up weak muscles and tendons too. I'm all for helping the body heal itself. I have had chronic tennis elbow for a year and I just started with my first set of injections yesterday. (13 shots in the area, but today it hasn't been very bad at all, just a little sore). Hope you find what works for you!
  • liveforfriday
    Options
    I suffered with this for mmonths. it was getting worse every day so I did go to a foot doctor. She told me to stop wearing crocks (which I was wearing at work all day as I work in a hospital) and gave me some exercises to do. The best was to step on a stair and bend the heel down and stretch. Do it several times a day. It worked. Completely gone!!! No more pain. Hope this helps.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Yes, it hurts!!!

The best thing for me was to wear shoes ALL the time. Even if I got up in the middle of night and walked to the bathroom I put shoes on.
    Try advil and some ice for immediate relief and wear shoes!

I had a wicke case of PF, but I was just the opposite. I started doing everything barefoot, including working out. I rarely wear shoes around the house, and I just got a pair of Merrell Barefoot shoes to wear to work. My feet are completely pain free now, and have been for 9 months. Going barefoot strengthens all the little tendons and stabilizers in your feet that go unused when wearing shoes.
  • JustTracyB
    Options
    All great advice above! I have battled PF for a couple years and found out last year I had heel spurs as well. I have more of an extreme case though. Do the stretches. See a foot doctor and get xrayed and go from there. Your doctor will guide you from there.
    There's lots of different therapies. Shots, cortisone, other steroid type shots, ultra sound heat, electro (TENS), and in extremes cases surgery, but it doesn't usually end up this far. I had a visiciously long/sharp spur.
  • Dianak005
    Dianak005 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thank You for all the suggestions. Just when I think it is starting to get better it gets bad again. I have now been getting very sore legs from the way I walk to avoid the pain. I am thinking I should maybe see a doctor just to make sure nothing else is going on. the doctor I saw was at an after hours clinic and I was there for another reason and just happened to ask him what he thought was wrong wtih my foot. So anyone know if its better to see a podiatrist or a chiropractor?
  • txlissa62
    txlissa62 Posts: 128
    Options
    PODIATRIST. Definitely a podiatrist.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Had this last year - very painfull - got some good quality arch support inserts for my shoes - huge relief to the point where I have not had issues since... they cost about $38 - but well worth the money!!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Thank You for all the good suggestions. I never thought of Crocs! I have been trying to find a good pair of house slippers that dont make noise and wake everyone up when I get up in the night. I did notice that when I started stretching in the morning it is getting better. I am hoping to start working out harder and dont want to cause it to get worse. Im sure taking some weight off will help too.

Nooooo don't use Crocs! I went to the foot doctor when I had plantar fasciitis (sp?) and he said that was the WORST shoe for a condition like this because, while comfortable, they have no support. Find a good, supportive shoe, use inserts, do the stretches others have suggested. If it doesn't get better - see a doctor. I ended up getting a cortisone shot to help with the pain and inflammation and it really helped as well - hopefully stretches work before you head down that route!

^^^^ Totally agree - BIG No - no -no to Crocs - they are the shoes of the devil when it comes to foot issues!!
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Doctor for sure. I speak from experience. I remember how bad it was, good luck to you.