skipping breakfast

Replies

• KarenJean91
    KarenJean91 Posts: 283 Member
    I have to skip breakfast in order to stay under my calories... kinda lame, but it works for me... i just eat when i get off work. Between 1-3
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    :flowerforyou: Breakfast is your most important meal-It jump starts your day-As long as your healthy you should be eating 3 meals a day-you need the calories, especially when you workout!
    If you're not aware, there are peer reviewed clinical studies to show that breakfast neither jump starts metabolism or is needed. Totally daily calorie intake at the end of the day is what's important whether you do it in one, two, five, or seven meals.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Perhaps by kick starting you day 'they' are referring to the energy supplied to your brain for optimum functioning! Not your metabolism.
    I believe breakfast is important. It gives you a good start to the day. If you're not waking up hungry then you've probably eat too late or too much before you've gone to bed the night before. The natural endorphins released with exercise will curb your appetite a well. Better to reduce your evening meal, especially if you're not very hungry, and enjoy a good breakfast.
    (Practice Nurse with postgrad studies in exercise and nutrition.)

OMG!!!

I love the bodies that are commenting on this discussion!!!-thank you from the Nurse-Sry I was just helping !!-It seems these people are more into fitness & training than actually having a battle with their weight all their lives-

so what are you saying?
    this makes NO sense.

I have battled my weight for a long time ( look at my pics), and now am close to where i want to be through watching my calories ( I eat 1500 to 1800 calories), hard work in the gym...

and having nothing but coffee for breakfast.
  • GoddessG
    GoddessG Posts: 175 Member
    If it works for you, it works for you.

duriing my time on the diet, I've gone from skipping breakfast (that was my pattern) to having breakfast because everyone said I should, to having a late breakfast or skipping it altogether.

MY body does best with two meals a day. If I try to do many mini meals, I think about food all the time. I am doing low-carb, so I'm naturally not hungry. I like 10AM and 4PM. That's how MY body works.

this is a good time for you to learn how YOUR body works.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    And I got fat whilest skipping breakfast. I had four boiled eggs, four egg whites, and three cups of a green smoothie this morning. I'm garbage without breakfast.

You're a science experiment; fiddle with your variables.:wink:

(Then again, don't listen to me, I've just been lucky. To try different things. Then find out what works for me. And then do them consistently. Over a long period of time. Successfully. :happy: )
  • rvicini
    rvicini Posts: 252 Member
    Completely agree! In my 1350 cal budget, a 450 cal breakfast is what it moves me! And it should because otherwise you would be very hungry by 10 am without much food you can manage...
    I would say its important. Why? It keeps you from not snacking as much throughout the day! This may not be for everyone, but I have noticed when I skip meals I snack more often than if I have 5 "mini meals" a day.
    What I do is eat every three hours. Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, and dessert on occasion. (Before I have lost 20-40 pounds by doing this, so it does work!)
    Also make sure you eat three hours BEFORE you go to bed. It's not good to eat right before bedtime.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,902 Member
    Also make sure you eat three hours BEFORE you go to bed. It's not good to eat right before bedtime.
    That's dependent on the person. Some may not be able to rest correctly, but personally I can eat right before going to sleep and be fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • I'm not sure what the right answer is and I won't pretend to know. I normally eat a light breakfast so that I can have a bigger lunch and dinner. It's what works for me, personally, as the afternoon and evening is when I tend to struggle with temptations to overeat, and feeling full is important.
  • Florawanda
    Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
    I eat breakfast because if I don't I tend to binge later on in the day at a fast food joint. Oatmeal and yogurt are easy to keep around.

This... And studies with children at school show that children who have breakfast (in breakfast clubs or at home) concentrate better in classes.

It probably depends on what work you go off to do. But most of the books I have read suggest a steady pattern of meals and healthy snacks through the day to keep you fuelled up.

There is a proverb "Breakfast like a king, lunch like a lord and dine like a pauper" - which is a pretty good rule for most people. But if you are going to the gym in the evening, you may need more to restore your energy levels, and if you are sitting in an office all morning, you don't need so much at the beginning of the day.

Basically, listen to your body, but don't let it lead you astray towards the biscuit tin!!!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    I never skip breakfast... it's just that my breaking of the fast might be what other people call "lunch". </smart *kitten*>
  • RevNimue
    RevNimue Posts: 66 Member
    Do whatever works the best for your body as long as you are meeting your nutritional needs that's all that matters. Personally I eat 5mini meals a day starting my day off with 8 oz of lemon water then 16 oz of water because I crave the water when I wake up. This is just works the best for me. Due to each of us being individuals and having different needs we have to fill them differently. Don't allow yourself to be apart of a cookie cutter eatting regiment as it may not work best for you.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Just EAT.

Edit to say: Don't worry about the time. Even if it's something small throughout the day. You should be worried about upping your total intake than worrying about the timing of your intake.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Eat at the times you are hungriest.

If you don't eat in the mornings and you're more hungry in the evenings ... then save the calories.

IMO, you should eat breakfast just to add extra calories because 1,000 sounds low... especially when you are working out.
  • My PT always wanted me to eat breakfast before I came to her for workout in the morning. I also had to eat something like a protein bar or smoothie after workout. Have to say it worked for me and lost weight and inches. I think it was to keep my body in some fuel burning mode. The few times I didn't have food fuel during workout, I was sluggish and could not perform as well. If I were you, I would at least get a protein snack before evening workout to see if it helps with your overall workout. You might find you have more energy to power through your workout.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    I am no expert, though I have really enjoyed this discussion. thanks to all participants. I am a diabetic and hypothyroid. I have to manage my meals around my medications. If i do not eat some sort of breakfast my blood sugar drops too low. I know that is not the case for non-diabetics. But it is a thought for all.
  • Hi
    Skipping breakfast is a No No! It kick starts your metabolism and let's your brain know your body's ready for action.
    Try and eat carbs at the end of the working day as this tells your body it's time to slow down and rest.
    This was what I was told by a nutritionist.
    I hope this helps????
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    In my opinion, if what you're doing is working for you (you're not super hungry, you have enough energy), and you're making healthy choices and fueling your body when you do eat, I don't see any problem with your schedule. I don't think when you eat makes much difference as long as your meals are working for you (ie, giving you enough energy to get to the next meal and keeping you satisfied during that time).

If I were you, I might add a healthy snack mid-morning, but that's only because I'm a breakfast person and I can't imagine going till 1pm without food :P My favorite snack is a nut/fruit mix.... 30g of whole natural almonds, 20g of raisins, and 20g of dried cranberries. it's delicious, it's about 300 calories (depending on your brands) and it keeps me satisfied for a long time.

Good luck! Enjoy your new journey!
  • keenesmom
    keenesmom Posts: 115 Member
    I never skip breakfast...not because I think it jump starts my metabolism or whatever but because I'm an early riser (workout early too) and if I don't eat by 8:30 or 9:00 I get nauseated. I think it boils down to whatever your body is used to having...mine is used to having breakfast.
  • WhyLime113
    WhyLime113 Posts: 104 Member
    Honestly, if you feel like you have trouble eating healthy, try forcing yourself to eat breakfast and see if it helps.
    I force myself to eat breakfast at 7:30, at least on weekdays. Always. I'm a college student, and I don't get another chance to eat until 1pm. For me, it's about having a consistent schedule and keeping me relatively full throughout the day. That way I'm not in the middle of class having a hard time concentrating because I'm starting to get hungry. I eat better when I have breakfast too. It's my most important meal to be honest.
    So I'd say give it a go, but if it doesn't help, then go back to what you were doing before. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day--but only for some people, not everyone.
  • ejay90
    ejay90 Posts: 42
    ifr i skip breakfast im not hungry until the evening!! its good :)
  • BranMuffin947
    BranMuffin947 Posts: 104 Member
    I wish I could be that way. Honestly, I try to save all of my calories for later in the day when I eat dinner with the boyfriend. But I usually wake up and need something in the morning.

:heart: