Frustrated!

Options
Okay, I have been at this workout/eating right thing for about 4 weeks now. I realize that I don't have much weight to lose to get to my goal weight, but I expected the scale to move a little more quickly than it has. I workout at least 40 minutes 5-6 times a week and am usually 200-300 calories under my daily allowed caloric intake. What am I doing wrong and what can I do to make the scale move??? Anybody???:huh:

Replies

• bride2be
    bride2be Posts: 6
    Options
    Okay, I have been at this workout/eating right thing for about 4 weeks now. I realize that I don't have much weight to lose to get to my goal weight, but I expected the scale to move a little more quickly than it has. I workout at least 40 minutes 5-6 times a week and am usually 200-300 calories under my daily allowed caloric intake. What am I doing wrong and what can I do to make the scale move??? Anybody???:huh:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    You're in a 700-800 calorie deficit since MFP builds in a 500 calorie deficit for you. Go ahead and eat your allotted calories; it will have a positive influence on the hormones that regulate your metabolism. The less weight you have to lose, the more precise and careful you have to be. Also, if your training hasn't changed yet, add intensity or resistance training or change it in some way to make it more challenging.
  • mcross105
    Options
    I know the feeling- it took me several weeks of following the MFP routine before I lost any weight, and I was getting really frustrated. Then, it took off and I've slowly been dropping 1-2 pounds, then plateauing, then losing some more.

It might be that you are not eating enough, and your body is conserving those extra pounds, thinking you are in starvation mode. If you're eating less than 1200 calories, that could be the case.

Also, I noticed that I started losing more weight when I stopped killing myself at the gym. We picked up a treadmill on Craigslist and I've been walking on it about every day, using inclines in intervals. It's funny that working out more gently would increase my weight loss, but maybe it's just my body's way.

Anyway, hang in there- besides, a slow weight loss is more sustainable in the long run.
  • Tgeorge
    Tgeorge Posts: 49
    Options
    Hang in there. I just posted something similar last week. I too have 15 pounds to goal and the scale has not budged.. but when the trainer measured me I lost 3 inches in the abdomen and 1 inch on the hips and dropped 1% body fat.

I don't know why we are so tied to the stale but I too just want it to move- just even a pound...I believe the scale is just evil......
  • bride2be
    bride2be Posts: 6
    Options
    I definitely make sure that I eat my 1200 calories a day, it is the additional calories that I get when I work out that I tend to not fulfill. MFP has told me that I have not eaten enough for the day, so I make sure to increase my caloric intake to take care of this. I have also adjusted my daily workout, so as to not do the same exact thing everyday. A new problem that I am dealing with, is shin splints. I was running 3 miles a day, now I have to walk 3 miles because of the pain. I don't feel like I am getting as good of a workout when I walk. If anybody should know a cure for shin splints I could use some help with that too!
  • TheTimeIsNow
    Options
    Dont believe there is a "cure" so to speak. I used to deal with them in highschool . If there is anywhere you could use a pool....its alot less work on your legs....and IMO pushes for alot more intensive workout.
  • Autopsy
    Autopsy Posts: 2
    Options
    i would say that eating the alloted daily calories would be the correct approach, but you MUST eat a balanced diet. i'm relatively new to this site, but i have had some exposure to people on all kinds of diets (i worked at GNC for 5 yrs). i still have to tell my mother that she cannot just count calories.. it's all about where they come from: carbs (C), proteins (P) and fats (F). the alloted calorie intake suggested for me by myfitnesspal was split into 55/15/30 meaning 55% of calories come from C, 15% form P, and 30% from F.

BTW, you can always make these calculations knowing only a couple of things:

there are 4 calories in any 1 gram of carbs,
    there are 4 calories in any 1 gram of protein,
    there are 9 calories in any 1 gram of fat.

now, knowing what i know about my body and my exercise routine i am most effective at loosing weight by eating a 50/30/20. the reason why is simple: when you are very active and exercise a lot, often, and with high intensity your body needs more protein per day, to rebuild lean muscle (that you ultimately need to burn fat). this is especially true you do cardio AND strength training. IMO, 15% P is simply not enough... i need more. for you it'll be a little different. that's why nutritionists help tailor diets for individuals on a case-by-case basis. i would start with a 40/30/30 diet if i were you and do both cardio and strength training. check out the zone bars if you ever see them amongst nutrition bars... or http://www.zoneperfect.com/nutrition_4030.aspx

also, be patient with yourself and don't give up. in my 5 yrs at GNC i have seen the most incredible results and learned one thing: you just have to stick with it... sticking with it is the key

hope this very long answer is of some help.