Gloves for lifting weights?

Options
Hi everyone!
I'm relatively new to lifting, only been doing it for the last 3-4 months. I also have an issue with my hands - really rough, dry and cracked skin from years of working in hospitality.

Lately as I've been lifting heavier the rubbing on my hands from the barbell is really aggravating the problem. I was wondering has anyone had any similar issues and found relief when gloves are used? There are a couple sports shops in town I was going to have a look at and check out prices, maybe talk to someone there also.

Love to hear from anyone with any advice. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I don't use gloves and I lift heavy...only chalk, we are allowed to use chalk in my gym. I cannot feel what I am doing with gloves, even the fingerless ones.

p.s. I have 6 nice big callouses (calluses? not sure of spelling) though.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Gloves can make things hard to grip. Pretty much anything with a barbell I use chalk and anything with dumbbells I use gloves. This is just because the dumbbells at my gym start to tear up my hands with a few workouts.
  • BorosStrongestMan
    Options
    Check out RDX gloves, can be had on Amazon and also they have their own website (free postage at the moment too). They are good quality at a reasonable price.
  • LibbyCaramia
    LibbyCaramia Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies so far. I guess I'd have to try them and see what it feels like for me - mostly the issue is the condition of my hands and trying to lessen the friction and rubbing from gripping the barbell.

Does chalk help with preventing callouses or is it more of a thing to improve grip?
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies so far. I guess I'd have to try them and see what it feels like for me - mostly the issue is the condition of my hands and trying to lessen the friction and rubbing from gripping the barbell.

Does chalk help with preventing callouses or is it more of a thing to improve grip?

grip
  • dragonfly_em
    dragonfly_em Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    chalk helps grip but it really dries up your skin!
    gloves no gloves ... all sorts of opinions...buy a pair and see how you feel...decent low cost pair
    now barefoot...give that a try!
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I wear vinyl gloves all day so my hands are really soft. I use those fingerless mitts you can buy from sports shops or online. I haven,t dropped anything yet.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I use fingerless leather gloves, they work well for me as my hands tear up easily. It really is an individual thing though
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I quite like my fingerless leather gloves... Miss them when i forget to bring them to training
  • 4mrunner
    4mrunner Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    When I was lifting in the late 90's, everyone wore gloves in the weight room. Now no one does, not at the gyms I've been to anyway. Do what you're comfortable with.
  • 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Any sporting good store has a variety of gloves that you can try on to gauge comfort. Some use gloves, some don't...that's their preference, if you can't work through the discomfort, then get gloves. I use a standard glove that I could find at any Academy or Sports Authority.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Chalk helps with grip, but calluses(sp?). Gloves help with the calluses and also help me with grip, because if my hands don't hurt my grip improves.

Most commercial gyms don't allow chalk.
  • omidiano
    Options
    if u dont wear gloves u get torned hands
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i wear gloves. i also get taunted a bit in crossfit when i run to my bag to get them :laugh:

but whatever, i dont want callouses. some people are OK with their hands feeling like sandpaper, i however am not
  • LibbyCaramia
    Options
    Sounds like it's a personal preference thing. Definitely going to check it out and see if gloves are the way to go for me :)

Thanks all!
  • myers0machine
    Options
    If ya want pretty hands go with gloves simple I like to no my hands are getting tougher so I don't use gloves like squatting some use a pad for the back why your body is amazing will learn and improve and get strong and tougher train hard eat clean and your body will improve and get stronger you don't need to buy anything it's all media ****

Train mind body and soul simple
  • MN_Runner2012
    Options
    I think this is a personal preference. I lift heavy but I am very much a girly, girl. Meaning the callouses do not look good with my pretty nails. LOL

So I wear fingerless gloves. You might have to try a few pair to find the ones that work best for you.
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I use gloves because I feel I have a better grip on the bar since my gym doesnt allow chalk :)

Ive dropped kettlebells more then a few times because I lost my grip lol Now I wont workout without them!
  • LibbyCaramia
    Options
    If ya want pretty hands go with gloves simple I like to no my hands are getting tougher so I don't use gloves like squatting some use a pad for the back why your body is amazing will learn and improve and get strong and tougher train hard eat clean and your body will improve and get stronger you don't need to buy anything it's all media ****

Yeah, thanks for that typical manly man response - I don't really care that much about getting calluses etc., but as I said in my original post I have some pretty bad contact dermatitis on my hands (from hard labour at work thank you!) that takes a lot of effort to keep in control. Unfortunately the rubbing from the barbell exacerbates the problem so I was merely wondering if gloves would help keep that from happening.

Health issue, not vanity.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Yeah, thanks for that typical manly man response - I don't really care that much about getting calluses etc., but as I said in my original post I have some pretty bad contact dermatitis on my hands (from hard labour at work thank you!) that takes a lot of effort to keep in control. Unfortunately the rubbing from the barbell exacerbates the problem so I was merely wondering if gloves would help keep that from happening.

Health issue, not vanity.

Nicely done.