Girl Scout cookies...

Options
2»

Replies

• ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    A trend in my area is for the Scouts to offer the option of sending cookies to military stationed overseas. Maybe the Scouts in your area could start something similar?
  • rjbalcer
    Options
    Not buying any!!!!!! My kids love the thin mints and so do I, and if they are in this house they will be calling me from the freezer.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    My husband bought 9 boxes of cookies! I wanted to kill him!
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    As soon as I get hit up by one of those little girls, I'm taking the bait. Forget chicken soup, Girl Scout cookies are good for the soul!
  • dan_IRL
    dan_IRL Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I buy four boxes from my bosses daughter every year. Two for me, two for charity. The two for me, I allow myself to plow through one box over the first couple of days. Then the second box I label with Sharpie "DO NOT OPEN UNTIL AUGUST!!!!!"" (My birthday). Then they go in the back of the freezer and are opened in August.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

Why couldn't he just buy one more box and make it 10? Ugh..odd numbers. lol
  • MacSkillz
    MacSkillz Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I'm not buying any at all because I know what will happen if I do... I'll eat the whole freaking box in one day. I was in girl scouts myself and I was always that one in my troop that sold the most cookies (thanks to my parents bring the order forms to work). But a few people at work have their daughters in Girls Scouts... so when the came around asking, I politely told them that I didn't want any cookies, but gave them a $10 donation.
  • dawncolleen0120
    dawncolleen0120 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    As a former GS leader and cookie mom I believe that cookies are sold in different parts of the country at different times. Because it's really snowy up north cookies are sold in the winter in the south and here in Texas they're sold in January. When our troop was selling them our troop earned about 35% of the sales price. The rest of course went to the national organization in general and to the manufacturer. Someone mentioned just making a direct donation to the troop and I think that's a great idea. That way you've got no guilt not supporting them and no guilt or temptation with the cookies being in your house. I don't know about you, but if I've got cookies in the house, I'm gonna eat them. And calorie-wise, a sleeve of cookies ain't cheap. What do you mean you don't eat a sleeve of cookies all at once? :) So no cookies here either.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options

Why couldn't he just buy one more box and make it 10? Ugh..odd numbers. lol

I don't know... He did get some for my mom too, but he said they have a bunch of new ones he wanted to try and accidentally ordered 9 boxes... yeah okay lol
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I caved this year. I have not had any in over 10 years, and somebody at work came around selling them. I got 3 boxes. I will take 1 or 2 cookies out, and freeze the rest.
  • linbein
    linbein Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My daughter is a Girl Scout. Thin Mints are the devil for me for sure. But I ordered some to support her, and I will just limit them. However, I have read some other good ideas on here, and our troop does the some of them. You can check the box to donate the boxes. You are still supporting scouts, but you don't have to have the cookies in your house. Our troop takes them over to the USO at the airport and hands them straight to soldiers waiting there. It makes their day, and it's good for the girls to get to do it personally.
  • amez1974
    amez1974 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    As a former GS leader and cookie mom I believe that cookies are sold in different parts of the country at different times. Because it's really snowy up north cookies are sold in the winter in the south and here in Texas they're sold in January.

We're in Northern Ohio and we are selling right now--cookie booths can get pretty cold!

I have two girls in Girl Scouts, I'm a leader and the cookie mom! I will have nearly 2000 boxes of cookies sitting in my house for a few days and then a few hundred until our booths are over. My house will even smell like Thin Mints!!
  • sukatx
    sukatx Posts: 103
    Options
    I hate to add fuel to the fire, but...

I found a cookie. They're Fudge Mint cookies by Back to Nature. You really can only find them in gourmet-type grocery stores. They taste JUST like Thin Mints.

Thin Mints are 160 calories for 4, and these Fudge Mint cookies are 150 calories for 4.

So, after my daughter goes to bed, I have 2 Fudge Mint cookies and a sugar free hot chocolate (50 calories) for a nice before-bedtime snack for 125 calories.
  • morf13
    morf13 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I can see from the posts here that we have alot of girl scout cookie fans :) I actually never thought of just telling the girlscouts that I could make a donation instead of taking the cookies,good idea