Smartphone apps (Endomondo, MapMyRun, etc)

Options
Hi, all. I've been using Endomondo while cycling and I'm generally pretty happy with it. I'll also use it occasionally for walking. If you use a smartphone app, what is it, and what do you like/dislike about it? I'm one of those guys who is always looking for something better. :)

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    On my android phone I will try out a few apps at a time.

Endomondo is my current favorite. It links seamlessly to mfp.

I've tried runnkeeper and cardio tracker. Both work great, but I keep coming back to Endomondo.

..and run zombies.
  • SteveCro
    SteveCro Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I am interested as well. I use MapMyRide only because I was using the app to record my mileage on desk top com. before I got a smart phone. Would like to see whats better! Its been ok. How do you keep you battery up or is it just MMR. Can't use it for more than a 2 hour ride or phone is dead?
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I like Endmondo myself. I have a bike computer and it's always about 1/4 mile off from Endmondo. But it's close enough and I like that it gives me the average speed, current speed etc, and so many choices for what it will track for you during the workout.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Endmondo is pretty good for sync'ing with MFP. I can't really recall a time I had problems with the App.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I use Endomondo to track time and distance. It works great with MFP. However, it really over calculates calories burned. On my last walk, Endomondo showed 445 calories burned but MFP showed 205 for the same time and speed. That's a huge difference when you're eating back calories.
  • wickedwendy6
    wickedwendy6 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I use Runtastic and really like it, It also syncs well with MFP - no problems at all with it as yet.
  • fadedimage
    fadedimage Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard of Endomondo so I will have to check it out. But for cycling, I use MapMyRide and for walking/running I use Nike+ for the iPod. They don't sync with MFP so you have to do it manually but that's not a big deal to me.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Smartphone apps? For hiking? Wow, you guys must live somewhere you cell phone reception when you are off the beaten trail LOL. Here where I live, I don't even get cell reception in my house. Well I get half a bar, which means I can text. When I'm hiking I turn the phone off, because it will burn up the battery looking for a signal LOL. So I depend upon my trusty dusty HRM. Love tech toys, have them all, but I live so far off the beaten path ... smart phones are close to useless. Now I like the sites Endomondo and MapMyRide. I use a Garmin often to record my rides and hikes (which at times is inaccurate due to tree canopy). The Garmin data translates to these two sites easily. But for the most part I stick to the age old practice of maps, time, and heart rate.
  • steviedrew1967
    Options
    I use a Garmin forerunner for both cycling and running and I love it. I had been using endomondo on my iphone but was suspect of the calorie burns. The Garmin with HRM is awesome and I trust the calorie burns. I upload the data to Strava which is much cooler than Garmin connect.
  • reklawn
    reklawn Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I personally like strava, especially if I am biking.