How much does your meat weigh?!

Options
1Fizzle
1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
Hello, I wanted a bit of feedback from people's experience with food scales. Is weighing a chicken breast THAT different from what's listed on the nutrition label? I'm researching brands, any recommendations would be appreciated.

Replies

• mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Bump !!
  • squirrelythegreat
    squirrelythegreat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    In my experience it varies greatly. I usually eat 2 chicken breasts at one meal, and they weighed from 11oz to 16oz. The next week I had 1 chicken breast that was 12 oz. Best off just weighing it quickly in my experience.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    All the chicken breasts I've ever bought has based the nutritional information on 4 oz. worth of chicken. Most of the time I've weighed them, they average between 6 oz to 12 oz for each breast, and if I buy the tenders from Costco, they usually range from 2 oz to 4 oz per piece.

I usually try to weigh them, then I will portion them out in ziplock baggies, and write the weight on the bag with a sharpie.
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Hello, I wanted a bit of feedback from people's experience with food scales. Is weighing a chicken breast THAT different from what's listed on the nutrition label? I'm researching brands, any recommendations would be appreciated.
    While you bring it up, my question is; is the normal "4oz" serving before or after cooking? ( for any meat) :huh:
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to weigh at least use official serving sizes based on volume (eg. meat serving = palm of your hand) not the packaging. Manufacturers are quite happy for you to overeat their products. Overestimating or ignoring serving sizes is what helps many people become overweight.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    it all depends what else im having with it . it can very from 2oz to 4-6 oz
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm not 100% sure what you are asking, but here's what I do and why I use scales.

1. Weighing foods in grams is pretty exact. So if we are talking a plain chicken breast referenced as generic in the database, its easy to figure calories pretty accurately.

2. If you are talking about some type of prepared chicken, serving sizes on packaging are often appropriate only for gnomes. So you buy something that says 200 calories per serving, look at how many servings in that pack or serving size. If the chicken says a serving is 2 ounces, you can still use the nutritional info, but may need to eat 3 servings for a realistic portion.

BTW, if you want to weigh in grams but the serving portion is in ounces, open another tab, google ounces to grams. At the very first is a converter.

ETA: Measure before cooking.

HTH,
    Susan
  • 1Fizzle
    Options
    All the chicken breasts I've ever bought has based the nutritional information on 4 oz. worth of chicken. Most of the time I've weighed them, they average between 6 oz to 12 oz for each breast, and if I buy the tenders from Costco, they usually range from 2 oz to 4 oz per piece.

I usually try to weigh them, then I will portion them out in ziplock baggies, and write the weight on the bag with a sharpie.

That's a great idea! What type of scale do you use?
  • dave4d
    Options
    While you bring it up, my question is; is the normal "4oz" serving before or after cooking? ( for any meat) :huh:

I believe it is before cooking.
  • dave4d
    Options

That's a great idea! What type of scale do you use?

I'm not sure what brand it is. It allows me to read in grams, ounces, kilograms, or lbs. I accidentally melted my old scale. I believe I bought it at Walmart.
  • Blastastic
    Blastastic Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    0-16 oz depending on size
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I was always told to weigh it after you cook it....now I don't know.
  • 1Fizzle
    Options
    If you don't want to weigh at least use official serving sizes based on volume (eg. meat serving = palm of your hand) not the packaging. Manufacturers are quite happy for you to overeat their products. Overestimating or ignoring serving sizes is what helps many people become overweight.

I never said I didn't want to weigh food, I just never have. I was inquiring if people noticed a difference between weighing their food versus the nutritional info listed on packages.
  • SadieToughLady
    Options
    I weigh everything and use the nutritional value that I find on MFP. This is the scale we have and I really like it. http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Stainless-Pull-Out-Display/dp/B000WJMTNA/ref=sr_1_13?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1358603009&sr=1-13
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    i have been asked how long it is but never what does it wiegh!! LMAO.........I just KILL myself sometimes!!! HAHAHA
  • SadieToughLady
    Options
    I see what you are asking, I think. You want to if what the package says is what is inside. I don't buy packaged meat and wouldn't know. I would just weigh it to be sure that you know how much you are eating.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist says weigh before cooking. I weight all of my meats while raw. I can put a plate on my scale and push a button and it goes to zero again. then I put the meat on the plate. Its called the "tare" button.
  • GoddessG
    GoddessG Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything. I'm not yet experienced in knowing what a 6 ounce portion of meat looks like.

I weigh after cooking. I put the plate on the scale, hit "tare" then add food. I've found this method easier for measuring condiments as well. I can guess at two tablespoons, or I can add an ounce of mayo to my chopped chicken, and know what I have done.
  • 1Fizzle
    Options
    I'm not 100% sure what you are asking, but here's what I do and why I use scales.

1. Weighing foods in grams is pretty exact. So if we are talking a plain chicken breast referenced as generic in the database, its easy to figure calories pretty accurately.

2. If you are talking about some type of prepared chicken, serving sizes on packaging are often appropriate only for gnomes. So you buy something that says 200 calories per serving, look at how many servings in that pack or serving size. If the chicken says a serving is 2 ounces, you can still use the nutritional info, but may need to eat 3 servings for a realistic portion.

BTW, if you want to weigh in grams but the serving portion is in ounces, open another tab, google ounces to grams. At the very first is a converter.

ETA: Measure before cooking.

HTH,
    Susan

Thanks Susan..No, I was just talking about some frozen chicken breast from anywhere, and really any type of food that's typically measured..is grams the standard for measuring?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Heh. *trying to keep a straight face*

Ok. Now that the urge to troll has passed i can answer. Yes, chicken breasts labeling always goes by 4oz but in my experience they weigh anywhere from 50 to 100% more than that. Pretty soon you can eyeball an approximate weight but of course a scale would be more accurate. And yes, weigh before cooking. Usually i assume a breast is 6oz for logging purposes.

I don't really worry about accuracy the 3 reasons. 1, I'm lazy. 2, it's pure protein so if i go over the cal difference is negligible. 3, I'm lazy.