Replies

• Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Mine went up as well.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Sorry but this is bull, ive just worked mine out and it says im obese, yeah i clearly look it dont i.:mad:

Did you switch it from kgs/cms to pounds/inches? I thought I had it right but then it said I was obese so I looked at it again and it was set on kgs/cms.

For me it's really close to the same.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Under the new formula, I would still be a healthy weight if I weighed 93 pounds. I think I'd be in the hospital.
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    It still classifies me as overweight. I did a reading with my calipers last night, they put me at 11% bodyfat. I'd have to lose a lot of muscle to get down to a healthy weight according to either BMI scale.
    If that is you in your picks, you are clearly not overweight, omg this crap annoys me, what do they expect people to be, stick thin!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I'm impressed by the amount of people that know how to work out using x^2.5
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and it added about 5lbs to either end of the "healthy range". I personally think BMI is accurate for the masses (exceptions would be body builders, etc.). But being tall gives me a 50lbs range of "healthy" weights, which to me allows for various builds and muscle mass. I might feel differently about it if I was short and had a much smaller "healthy" window to fit into.
  • hazelovesfood
    Options
    Sorry but this is bull, ive just worked mine out and it says im obese, yeah i clearly look it dont i.:mad:

Did you switch it from kgs/cms to pounds/inches? I thought I had it right but then it said I was obese so I looked at it again and it was set on kgs/cms.

i worked it both ways,im 5 9 and it says in obese, I know what obese looks like, and im not it, no offense to anyone.
  • hazelovesfood
    Options

i worked it both ways,im 5 9 and it says in obese, I know what obese looks like, and im not it, no offense to anyone.
    [/quote
    actually dont it again,and i had put in 175 kg, not llbs. but still says in overweight.
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7" and it was less than one different for BMI, and as far as pounds go it upped my high range by half a pound. I must be the right height for both formulas. My husband is taller, I will check his next.

Same. I'm 5"7 also, and it's pretty well the same.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Wow, that makes my goal vs the BMI goal for me more realistic... it tells me I should be at 128, last time I was that small I was told by my Dr that I was unhealthy! I'm shooting for 155-160 (when I think I looked the best).... that is a pretty big difference!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It doesn't look much different for me, maybe because I'm average height.
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Interesting article, I plugged my numbers in and new BMI calculated at 21.75 from 21.94. Slight change but nice to see some updated thinking on this.
  • spongeh
    spongeh Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    YAY on the new one I'm only overweight now.

I like this, as a stupid measure its better than the old stupid meaasure for me @ 6'3

Your standard BMI is 30.46 a reading which classifies you as obese
    Your new BMI is 28.65 a reading which classifies you as overweight

I still thing the healthy weight is a bit wrong using BMI as my lower healthy weight is just over 11stone (158lb), I think I'd look ill if I got down to that weight at my height.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    It only changes it by .56 for me. I'm betting the height of about 5'6" is the even point.
  • annpatricianielsen
    Options
    Thanks a lot for sharing! I love this new formula! :laugh:
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    My BMI went up. This formula sucks! :laugh:

Yeah! Bull****!
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • IHopie
    IHopie Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. The old one is archaic and actually works against those of us who are not of average height.
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Interesting post and interesting responses. More interesting is the information. The use of BMI remain controversial, and it is not a panacea. Some professional athletes are morbidly obese based on the BMI, so that is clearly the wrong tool to use - for those and for some of the folks here, a more appropriate measurement would be body fat percentage.

If you want to calculate your riskfactors (for disease) you should really measure waist to hip ratio and weight to height ratio. There is a lot of research to support the accuracy of those measures.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Old: 25.69
    New: 25.22

Meh. lol