Gym Fear

Options
Does anyone else have a fear of joining a gym? I don't want to be mocked because of my size and lack of coordination. I have been doing exercise videos at home but would love to add strength training and machines. Does anyone know out of all the big name gyms if one is better than the other? I live in the Omaha area and there is an array of gyms to choose from, I just don't know how to pick one and how to get past this fear that everyone will be making fun of the "fat girl" at the gym.

Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Don't overthink this. Pick the closest one to your house that you can afford. And then go. No one is going to mock you for your weight. Just go work out.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have a fear of joining a gym? I don't want to be mocked because of my size and lack of coordination. I have been doing exercise videos at home but would love to add strength training and machines. Does anyone know out of all the big name gyms if one is better than the other? I live in the Omaha area and there is an array of gyms to choose from, I just don't know how to pick one and how to get past this fear that everyone will be making fun of the "fat girl" at the gym.

Thanks for any advice.

I did... I was sad and ashamed about the way I looked. I had a lot of anxiety and fear about going in and looking stupid.
    BUT I did it...I faced my fear, told it to (blank off) and went...

Every time it got a little easier...you can do this
    Feel free to look in my pics...there are some before pics from a year and half ago

I recommend strength training.
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Once you realize everyone at the gym is thinking about themselves you will lose the "gym fear." No one is looking at you. When I move to a new area (and I move a lot ugh!) I tour all the gyms within a workable distance. There really is no substitute for seeing the gyms in person. Choose the one that you really feel comfortable or excited to visit and dive in! :smile:
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Everyone's busy doing there own thing at the gym. so trust me when I tell you that no one will even notice that you are there. Good luck to you
  • jillsjourney
    jillsjourney Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Thanks you all are right. I just need to face my fear and get over myself. :) I appreciate it.
  • sukatx
    sukatx Posts: 103
    Options
    Personally, when I see people at the gym who you might call the "fat girl", I feel admiration for them. I know how difficult it can be to commit to exercising, so anyone who does it deserves a little admiration. But it's more challenging for people who are more overweight simply because they're carrying more weight on their bodies than an average-weight person.

So, think of that when you hit that gym! Sure, there are going to be a couple of shallow people who have negative opinion of you, but those aren't the types of people you'd want anything to do with. For the most part, people working out at the gym are doing so because they're trying to improve themselves and they'll think positively of you for doing the same!
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Only fear your having a is a mental fear. When I goto the gym I pretty much zone out everyone unless someone needs a spot.
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    You gotta start somewhere! People are going to look at you and think you're there to get healthy, that you're making a change, that you're doing something great for yourself! The serious gym goers aren't even going to notice you.
  • Hannah7783
    Hannah7783 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I used to have Gym Fear too! I was so worried that everyone there would be lean mean gym machines, that it used to put me off, to the point that I just decided there is no point going EVER. But the reality is - that while there will be some people there like that, there will be plenty of others who aren't! And don't forget, some of the gym bunnies are former couch potatoes! We all have to start somewhere, and sounds like you are starting in a good place! You've already done something at home, you want to improve further and so you are going to go to the gym! Excellent!

I'm in the UK so I can't recommend and particular gyms near you, but I'm sure you can go and look around some and see how you like them.

Having said that, I am now at a gym that is much more 'me' than others I have been to. It's a really relaxed atmosphere, the staff are helpful and it's not an intimidating place - neither is it wall to wall mirrors!! (I don't understand why some gyms have so many mirrors - a few in choice places is great for being able to look at your form while you are doing a certain exercise... but in front of the treadmill...?! That put me off big time - I looked horrendous!!!) And I went to another which was above a KFC... so you'd be running on the treadmill, as if you were running towards the chicken!! Which is just not good!!!! (Although, did used to make me chuckle!). As I said my gym now is great and I actually love to go there and spend a morning/afternoon, because it's just a nice place to be - theres a little terrace cafe, an outdoor pool for the spring/summer or if you are a little crazy the winter too, there are plenty of classes and the gym is not full of meatheads! Its also in the middle of a park, so I often walk there from home as its pleasant to do that, or I have a cool down by walking round the park if I have driven there.

So, I would say, have a look round your local gyms and see which one you feel comfortable in. Once you have found one, keep going with your programme because it's so nice to have measurable results. For example, when I started going I could only walk/run on the treadmill for a really short time, and really slowly. This morning, I did 6k on it in 50 minutes. When you can see improvements in yourself, it really makes it worthwhile going, and you will lose the fear eventually!!!!!

Go and find a gym - I PROMISE the anticipation of the first workout will be so much worse than the reality! Let us know how you get on!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Don't overthink this. Pick the closest one to your house that you can afford. And then go. No one is going to mock you for your weight. Just go work out.

This. The hardest part is just getting there.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    It took me a while. I started going when I was around 450+ lbs. I would go super early or really late at night. I had a membership at one of those 24/7 gyms. I was self-conscious and wanted to avoid being seen by anyone. I am near sighted so I wear contacts and one morning, in my rush to get to the gym to do my workout and leave before others arrived, I didn't wash my hands before popping in my contacts. Upon arriving to the gym my eyes burned so I removed them. Since I couldn't see at all I had to do everything much slower. People of course starting arriving and I began to panic. I then laughed at myself when I realized I couldn't tell if they were looking at me. Since then I no longer care who is at the gym.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I'm a big girl that goes to the gym 4-5 times a week (5'9, 275, looking to lose 100 lbs). I work my butt off in there. I sweat like a pig and do strength training and interval cardio.

When I first started going I would get headaches just from doing the elliptical. Now I push myself harder and harder, and get my heart rate up higher than ever before - with no headaches. I've already made my heart healthier.

All the employees know me by name. A lot of the members too. Everyone knows I'm in there to better my health in 2013 and they're all proud of me. I'm not always the biggest person in the gym, but frequently I am. No one says anything but encouragement.

Heck - I went in yesterday in my work clothes (I usually change into my workout gear before I get to the gym) and everyone was telling me how beautiful I look in "non-gym" clothes.

Tour the gyms which are closest to your work or home (the ones you're most likely to go to) and see which feels the best. When you pick one to join, get to know the employees as well as the other members who go at the same time that you do. No one will judge you for anything other than something positive. They will see that you are there for your health, and they will admire you for it. Trust me on this, as I really am the big girl at the gym.
  • Viola47
    Viola47 Posts: 121
    Options
    I second DavPul.

However, I've had the same fears you have, so here are some things that have helped me in the past:
    -NO ONE will make fun of you.
    - People in the gym aren't all fit and model-esque. There are people of all different shapes and sizes and different fitness levels.
    - People in the gym - particularly the very fit ones - are really more interested in watching themselves than in watching other people (for a number of reasons)
    - Being overweight at the gym can actually gain you respect - you're putting yourself out there, and trying to better yourself and your life, and people can see that. No matter what shape you're in, you should be proud that you're putting in effort to improve your health!
    -In my personal experience, people at the gym either ignore everybody (most people are like this), or they're kind of friendly, but still basically ignore everybody. Most people don't go to the gym to be social.

You can tour gyms before you join to see how comfortable you feel. Some gyms have women-only sections (like Gold's Gym), if that helps. Also, some people say that paying for a personal trainer the first few times helps them get more comfortable at the gym and familiar with the equipment. Regardless, the employees should be willing to explain and show you how to use any equipment you have questions about. In my experience, it doesn't matter if you're the fat girl or the buff guy - people at the gym leave you alone, the employees are nice and mostly helpful, and it's a GREAT experience. Good luck!
  • christy3565
    Options
    I was terrified when I first started going for the same reasons you are. Once there I realized no one even looked twice at me. They were all there for the same reason I was, to get healthy. I know how hard it can be to try something because you are afraid your size will make you stand out, but most people I have talked to are in awe of you doing what you are doing to make a better you.
    You can do it girl!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    They probably won't look at you but one thing you could do to appear to be part of the crowd is to hire the services of one of their PTers for a few sessions. When they see a regular with a new person, they'll probably accept you for who you are and as one of the gang. Humans, eh. Who needs 'em.
  • jillsjourney
    jillsjourney Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! You are all so encouraging. I am going to go tour some gyms today! I will remember all of your words of encouragement. :)
    I will update and let everyone know which one I choose!
  • Rambo529
    Rambo529 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    The vast majority of people at the gym don't care what anyone looks like, and I have yet to see anyone who's overweight get mocked at my gym. Some of the people there have been in your shoes and did something about it, which holds more merit than anything else there. Don't be afraid to ask someone how to use a machine if you're unfamiliar with it either. It happens to me all the time, and I had to ask on a few machines that were unfamiliar to me when I first joined my gym.

Good Luck!
  • roxxie25
    roxxie25 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    A few other thoughts:

1) Different gyms have different vibes, so you need to find one that feels right for you. Maybe just visit a few gyms for a tour just to familiarize yourself with the different options.
    2) Is there an all female gym like curves in your area? That might be less intimidating for you.
    3) You can absolutely get a good work out at home with free weights and DVDs. Don't let your fear of the gym hold you back from incorporating some strength training at home.

Good luck!
  • 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Options

I agree....you see all ages, colors, shapes and sizes at the gym. They all let you tour their facilities, so you can feel free to see what each offers. So go, it will become habit and before you know it, you'll be a sweat-filled, iPod wearing machine like the rest of us!! C'mon!!!
  • Angie1366
    Options
    Don't your gyms do a free try out, ask a friend or relative to go with you and see if they make you feel comfortable or not. Never ever feel embarrassed to go to the gym. When I see a bigger person in the gym I think how great it is to see them working out... And think - crikey they are running fast!!!!!

After all - anyone can sit in the house doing nothing!
    And...
    To be fair, all the ones with perfect mascara and skinny bodies make me laugh - they usually stand around chatting looking in the mirror at themselves, too self centred to care about anyone else... (and they never ever sweat!!! I mean it's a gym!!)
    The muscle builders are so focussed on their exercise regime, they are not interested in anyone else.
    The rest of us are there with a nice smile, an encouraging chat and the need for our own encouragement!

SO DO IT! Join that gym and meet new friends like me!