No Weight Loss :(

Hi!
Weighed myself for 1st time in a week and I haven't lost a single pound!! Am a little disappointed as thought I'd been doing really well.. Have done exercise 4 times (which is an improvement of 4 times on the week before!)
Any suggestions to help please? I'll make my food diary public.
Thanks,
Julia

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    You're not eating enough.

By not giving your body the fuel it needs, it thinks you're starving and tries to hang on to every ounce of fat you have.

Did you set your weight loss to two pounds a week? That' s too much for most people. How tall are you, how much do you weigh, what are your BMI and TDEE?
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    You're not eating enough.

By not giving your body the fuel it needs, it thinks you're starving and tries to hang on to every ounce of fat you have.

Did you set your weight loss to two pounds a week? That' s too much for most people. How tall are you, how much do you weigh, what are your BMI and TDEE?

her body doesn't think it is starving after a week.
  • Gypsum74
    Gypsum74 Posts: 21 Member
    Hi,
    Yes, 2lbs a week which given how much I have to lose didn't seem unreasonable.
    I'm 37yrs old, 5'6'', 17stone 8bs. rough body fat is 38%, don't know what my BMI is.
    I've been trying to stick to 1260 per day as per the guidelines, I'm not consciously trying to go under and on days I don't do exercise it seems to be working out about right, but it seems crazy to eat for the sake of it when I'm not hungry just to bump up calories?
    Julia
  • You need to be patient. Weight fluctuates for many reasons, and so the only realistic way of looking at weight loss is over a long time period. As in, longer than a week.

You may lose no weight this week and two pounds next week, or go up a pound or down a pound or more. It happens. Don't let yourself get frustrated, just keep going. Be proud of yourself for your continued dedication. The scale will show your results eventually.

Edited to add: that calorie goal IS pretty low for someone of your size. I would recommend doing something less extreme. Easier to maintain means you're more likely to stick with it for the long run. When I was your weight I think I was eating around 1800 a day and losing just fine.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Definitely not eating enough. As a very 'rough' guide, it is suggested that females eat at least 1200 calories a day just to keep our bodies functions, like heart, breathing etc going. That is without providing any fuel for exercise. If you exercise you should eat additional calories so that you NET at least 1200.

Having said that, it is important that you find our your BMR which is the amount of calories that YOUR body actually needs, even if it were in a coma. Use the various calculators available to discover your own BMR and also your TDEE (Total daily energy expenditure). For healthy weight loss you should eat at a deficit of your TDEE minus 20% at maximum and this figure should also be above your BMR.

There is no need to starve yourself to lose weight, in fact it will have the opposite effect. If your body is not getting enough fuel to exist or perform the exercise you are asking it to do, it will hang onto every calorie you give it, as it doesn;t know when or if it will ever get enough. If you give your body right amount of calories consistently, then your body will release some weight. Also keep your protein up (MFP notoriously underestimates this) to assist with retaining muscle and lose more actual body fat.
  • zeta30
    zeta30 Posts: 40
    Don't get discouraged. Everyone is different and each body will act differently when you try to lose weight.

For example, about 8 years ago my wife wanted to drop 10lbs so she started to exercise and keep close tabs on her food. (she measured and weighed every morsel that went in to her mouth). It took 3 weeks before she started to lose any weight. Your body may be similar.

So don't give up. As long as you are staying close to your recommended calorie intake the weight will come off, it just may take longer than expected. Remember if you don't eat enough food you won't lose weight it's important to eat the recommended amount of calories.
  • tlwells62
    tlwells62 Posts: 15 Member
    be patient. remember that your body is a machine -- must feed it clean and give it enough. Then it will run at its best!! Good luck.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Those advising patience are right on target. Weight loss isn't linear - the body doesn't know the difference from one Sunday to the next. It's all about how it averages out. And listen to those who talk about your food - they also know what they are talking about.

You're in the right place. You're doing the right things. Continue to do those right things and wait. The results will follow.
  • Gypsum74
    I started on the Monday before last but have only taken the weight from the Saturday so guess I could have lost some 'water weight' prior to initial weigh in. Have always seen quick results in the first couple of weeks so was hoping for that quick boost I guess. Will persevere and update next week. Thanks for all the words of support.
  • PatrickXFCE
    PatrickXFCE Posts: 52 Member
    Hi Gypsum74

Mind if I friend you here? My Dr told me that I was prediabetic, so I need to cut down on carbs and meat and such; I am going to need all the support I can get.

Thanx!
  • tiffanyheth
    tiffanyheth Posts: 510 Member
    I noticed that the largest amount of calorie intake is in the evening, are you eating late at night? I would try to decrease evening calories, increase your morning calories. Also, try to eat more protein (nuts, cheese, eggs) to boost your calories.

Don't get too discouraged--it'll come! Alsot try some ice water first thing in the morning. Not sure why, but that always helps boost my weight loss!

Keep your head up! Remember--these are the types of discouragements that caused you to quit last time, and the time before--DONT QUIT! :)
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    You're malnourished.
    Please read this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It will walk you through everything you need to know. Please.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    she's not malnourished after a week and a half.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    she's not malnourished after a week and a half.

Your intentions are good but you don't understand the words that you are using. Since I do understand the words that I'm using, I'm not going to debate with you on the matter.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Whilst everybody has different views, I like to know that I have all the possible information I can to hand. I hope therefore that the OP and other interested parties, do actually take the time to read the link provided above and again here, before dismissing it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Just one other point, as there is nothing written in your profile - the picture shows your baby as not very old, are you breast feeding by any chance. If so, then 1200 calories is nowhere near enough to support your baby too.
  • jnn0409
    jnn0409 Posts: 171 Member
    Like previous posters have said your weight will average out. Some weeks I lose 5 pounds and some weeks I lose barely a pound. Just stay with it and eventually your body will catch up and you will start losing. Also, when it comes to measuring stuff make sure you do that, sometimes when we estimate we tend to estimate too much or too little. Good luck and patience! :)
  • Gypsum74
    It's not my baby! My nephew - so no, def not breastfeeding :)
    I think I'm getting a pretty good range of nutrients plus taking additional vitamins. The main thing I'm cutting down on is carbs and upping protein. So basically I'm trying to eat chicken/ fish with green veg etc.
    Most of the calories in the evening is a good observation, I work 8.30-6pm, but I'm trying to use the slow cooker to cut down on fat added to cooking, which basically means I eat as soon as I get in. I could probably try to cut out the wine altogether too, but then I figure you have to have something to look forward to!
  • Hi, everyone want's to be slim and healthy. Yes, I'm also on the heavier side too and trying to lose a few pounds here and there. Everyone is different and need a diet program that's fit for them. I'm following a program that has helped me lose a little but I'm not going to say it'll work for you too. You should also follow a set program. I can refer you to a fan page that helped me on Facebook that provides a lot of programs, books and supplements that fit everybody's needs. The link is....https://www.facebook.com/healthlivmall. I hope you can find something there to help you too.
  • Gypsum74
    Thanks for this, I will check out the page. It still doesn't seem to be coming off but I'm going to persevere..
  • Mrc1974
    Mrc1974 Posts: 75 Member
    Hi!
    Weighed myself for 1st time in a week and I haven't lost a single pound!! Am a little disappointed as thought I'd been doing really well.. Have done exercise 4 times (which is an improvement of 4 times on the week before!)
    Any suggestions to help please? I'll make my food diary public.
    Thanks,
    Julia

Hi Julia

I can understand why you would be disappointed after a week of hard work, well in all honesty who wouldn't want to see some sort of result, after all it is why some of us are here right :happy:
    There could be so many different factors that could have stopped a loss, water retention, hormones etc.

The important thing is not to give up! See what next week brings!!

Keep your chin up!

Emma