dimensional change

Greetings,

Since starting MFP in July 2102, I have lost 40 pounds (yay me!). Once I has lost 30-33 pounds, I had some clothes tailored so I would have clothes to wear!

Well, I've lost 8-12 more pounds and it feels like the clothes I had tailored are too big. Is this normal? What is the explanation? I walk a lot. Perhaps the added muscle is keeping the weight numbers high? I wish I had been taking measurements!

Thanks,
Richard

Replies

• Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 507 Member
    Muscle does weigh more than fat but you are still loosing weight. I was once told that 10 lb is one dress size. (I assume it would be the same for men). You have lost more weight so of course your clothes are going to feel looser. Your body is probably changing as well.
  • Fenomka
    Fenomka Posts: 103 Member
    If you want a good idea of your clothes vs yourself, take a tailor's measuring tape, lay your pants flat on the floor, and measure one side. multiply by 2. that's the current waist band size of your pants. Now take the same measuring tape, and wrap it around the areay where your pants normally hit, on your torso. subtract this number from the number you got on your pants. Because Men's pants are a waist/inseam meaurement (ie 30/32 would be a 30 inch waist, and 32 inches from the joint of your inner thigh to your ankle) and your inseam doesn't change, It's easier to determine the real difference between what you actually are, and what your clothes say. For most men's clothes, 2 inchs = one clothing size.

As your body adjusts, and you add more work, and do more, your body will burn off the fat, and replace it with muscle. And though "muscle weighs more than fat" is an inaccurate statement, the truth is still that 1 lb of muscle takes up LESS SPACE than 1 lb of fat. so even tho the scale might not be moving, You might be pleasantly surprised by how much your inches are probably changing.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    If you need to alter them again, WAY TO GO! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! That last 12 pounds or whatever might have come off almost exclusively in your stomach or something, where earlier it was coming off all over your body. That would explain it.
  • Rehobobound
    Rehobobound Posts: 143 Member
    First, Congratulations! Yes! Yay you! Second, I would think that another 8-12 lb lose would result in looser clothes. Take it from someone who isn't seeing the lose on the scale, but in her clothes. Whatever exercising you're doing is probably working.