Lithium and weight gain?

Options
Just put on 600mg of Lithium, and was wondering what experiences others here have had with it. I'm guessing water retention could be a problem, but has anyone had other food related side-effects?

Replies

• rosiecbolton
    rosiecbolton Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately research has shown lithium causes an average weight gain of 5 kg. One place many lithium users slip up on is drinking fruit juice or sugary pop with the increased thirst. Best to stick to water (I used to have sugar free pop as I don't like water)

Thankfully the water retention will subside after the first few weeks.

It is supposed to be the best medication for bipolar, but in my experience it had the worst side effects of any medication I have ever taken. I discontinued in the end and asked my doctor to switch me to something else.
  • szahariadis
    Options
    i was on depakote a few years ago and gained tons of weight. i know what that feels like gaining weight cause of a med. if you are concerned, talk to your doctor.
  • rosiecbolton
    Options
    personally I think the best mood stabilizer is lamotrigine, but everyone suits different meds.

I gained a ton on depakote also and kept getting tremors
  • Sue_Smiles
    Sue_Smiles Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I've been on lamotrigine for 5 years and am happy with it, but the bi-polar depression has been getting worse and worse. tried Abilify, Seroquel and Geodon with really bad results. Hoping this time things can straighten around.

Thanks for your input! I really appreciate it :heart:
  • roxbox2013
    roxbox2013 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I was put on lithium a few months back, and I've recently stopped taking it. I've been a bit out of control since, so I've considered getting back on it, but after hearing the potential weight gain? I THINK NOT. That's scary.
  • rosiecbolton
    Options
    I use a combination of lamotrigine and seroquel and am doing better than ever :)
  • rosiecbolton
    Options
    I was put on lithium a few months back, and I've recently stopped taking it. I've been a bit out of control since, so I've considered getting back on it, but after hearing the potential weight gain? I THINK NOT. That's scary.

Perhaps you could try a different mood stabilizer. Topiramate is a drug given for bipolar depression in USA and that actually causes weight LOSS. I tried it once and lost a few pounds but I got tingling in my fingers and sometimes had difficulty naming words. It only happened once or twice but it was like the missing word was on the tip of my tongue.

Lamotrigine is weight neutral and depakote unfortunately causes weight gain.

The doctor may want to add in an antipsychotic such as seroquel or risperdal with the mood stabilizer. These drugs really work, but all apart from Abilify cause weight gain and Abilify causes anxiety problems.

The other things you can do to regulate your mood is MoodMapping.com or Moodscope. Moodscope is free and is really easy to use. You rate your mood score every day and it only takes 2 minutes to do. MoodMapping is more complex and takes time to master.

If you have any other questions please ask. I have worked as a doctor (surgery, not psychiatry) but have taught some basic psychiatry at university. Most of my knowledge comes from my own experience of bipolar.