Im taking your advice.. Weights..

Options
So many had recommended me lifting weights and stuff.. Problem is I've never really know what to do how many to do or anything.. So my question is, for a beginner, what should my workout consist of?.. Really needing advice before I go to the gym.

Replies

• sarahmartin2013
    Options
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I putzed around on my own for the longest time, but had the best results once I started following a program. New Rules of Lifting for Women is highly recommended by many, but I followed Stronglifts 5x5 instead. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Why did you chose stronglifts over NROLFW?
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I say get the book "the new rules of lifting for women" it is the best 15$ i ever invested. Even if you do not do the program, you will understand what lifting weight can do for you.

Stronglifts like Lorina said is also a very good program to start with.

Good luck. I never regretted starting the weights.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

I started New Rules then switched to Strong Lifts. Strong Lifts is just more simple and basic, it's the same 5 moves and it adds weight as often as possible. New Rules you switch routines every 4-6 weeks, there's no emphases on adding weight, you have to figure out new moves, etc. I just like simple.
  • Coramae09
    Coramae09 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Some guys at my church recommended bodybuilding.com I have not started with any heavy lifting but the site shows you exercises to do and seems pretty easy to follow. Eventually I will be hopping on that wagon too just don't have a gym membership right now :-) good luck to you!!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

1) Because I'm really cheap and didn't want to spend the money on the book.

2) I like how simple and straightforward Stronglifts is.

3) Reading about other women who did both and preferred SL.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Great. Thanks so much.
  • AnneC77
    AnneC77 Posts: 284
    Options
    Bump for information
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Another vote for New Rules. It is the next best thing to getting a personal trainer. You'll learn so much!
  • sarahmartin2013
    Options
    thanks everyone for their input.