Looking for advice to optimize results

Options
I started with MFP about two weeks ago and have had great luck thus far. I have lost about 5 lbs being very strict about my 1200 calories. I have not yet started exercising as I wanted to get the nutrition under control first. I know that in the next couple of weeks that my weight loss will probably slow as I am on the lowest possible calories that is recommended. Any help from you long-timers? I am especially worried when I start exercising because say I take in 1200 calories and burn 200...now I am at 1000 calories which is too low? Please help me understand what to do..thanks!

Replies

• KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    If you burn 200 calories, eat 200 calories more.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If you burn 200 calories, eat 200 calories more.

^ That.

And this, if you want details about this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Aye, gotta fuel the exercise. Eat back exercise calories.

Weight loss is indeed 90% diet... but the different from looking skinny and lean and looking like a holocaust victim is the muscle mass which is kept through exercise.

Exercise also gives a host of other benefits such as being able to eat more, improves cardiovascular health, etc.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    This is something you need to fiddle with yourself. Try to eat those calories back as close as you can, since you are losing on 1200. But heart rate monitors are not always accurate. If you find you gain or don't lose you might be eating back more than you really burned no matter what the thing says.

If you lose faster and feel exhausted, lightheaded, fatigued, and starving, you might be burning more than it says. So play around with it, pay close attention, and also weigh and measure your food so you have full control of that side of the equation.

Eventually you will find what works for you to keep you optimally energized for your workouts and still losing.

Edit: Also be aware when starting or intensifying an exercise routine your body will often retain water weight so the scale might go up even if you are still losing. Just to add a little more confusion to the whole thing!
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone thus far....very helpful!