Does whole wheat bread give you a stomach ache?

Options
This is interesting and I have yet to discuss it with my dr. wondering if anyone has any ideas.

Here it is:
Whole wheat bread in packages (tried many brands) give me a horrid stomach ache. To see if it was true I used gasp a white roll one day..no pain..Then I discovered my store bakes a whole wheat hogie roll fresh daily. I dared to try it..no stomach pain..So ok I thought I was crazy or maybe had a bug...waited a week tried bread in packages and again doubled over in pain...to further investigate I tried a fresh honey whole wheat bagel from my bagel store (yes the calories were a nightmare) but NO pain..

So I ask you what is going on?? Fresh baked ok but the packages not..anyone have any idea why? or have this issue..mind you I also made a peanut butter and jelly sandwich one day on white bread and NO pain.. it was packaged white bread...

What gives??:frown:

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    White flour doesn't go bad as fast as wholewheat flour, might be one of the preservatives or other ingredients in the packaged bread. Or you might have an imbalance in your gut flora, or perhaps the different strains or amount of yeast present is the issue. Maybe try searching all the ingredients lists of the products that make you sick, and compare to the products that don't make you sick.
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Maybe have a go at making some bread at home? No preservatives and you can eat it over a couple of days and see if the pain returns as the bread gets older.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Do the packaged whole wheat breads that you bought have added fiber? A lot of them add something called Inulin and i think some people get stomach pain from it. It doesn't bother me personally but it could be upsetting your system ( It could be that, or some other additive. As another poster stated, check the ingredients list to see what's in there)
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    There are different kinds of wheat. My daughter's allergic to wholegrain durham wheat but she's fine with bread wheat. So she can have bread and weetabix and white pasta, but not wholegrain pasta.

It's also possible that you're allergic to something else they're putting in the bread besides wheat. Look at the ingredients list for the breads that make you ill, and find out the ingredients for the bread you can eat (including what kind of wheat's being used)