Need to increase my calcium intake - any ideas?

Options
Hi,

I'm trying to make sure that I get my recommended calcium intake each day as I want to safeguard against osteoporosis in later life. I currently have around 300mls of milk and one yoghurt per day, but this is only giving me about half of the calcium goal that MFP has identified for me.

I don't really want to be using any more of my calories on dairy products, as it would drive me insane having to eat so much dairy.

I'm wondering if any of you can suggest other foods I might look at to up my calcium intake, or suggest any meal recipes that are high in calcium?

Also, is it worth taking a calcium supplement? i.e. do they work, or is it better to get what I need from my food? I'm a bit dubious about supplements you see!

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. I have yet to have a day where I got anywhere close to my recommended calcium intake, and I have milk, yoghurt, occasionally cheese... I'm not sure what I should be adding. At this point I'm thinking a supplement might be necessary although I'd like to avoid it if possible.