Can't get enough calories

Options
MFP has given me a daily goal of 1630 calories. Yesterday, I barely broke 1000. I'm in a severe depression, and am trying to eat healthy. I know that even a 2lb weight loss will increase my self esteem. But, I'm really afraid of going into starvation mode and having my body not lose any weight.

Today's lunch was a large salad with spring mix, spinach, cucumbers, broccoli, carrots, sunflower seeds, cheese, and sesame dressing. I wasn't in the mood for any tuna, chicken or eggs - the only protein in the house. Snack is a few clemantines, maybe a yogurt, and dinner will probably be rice and eggs. Then my nightcap is a hot chocolate.

How can I add in more calories to avoid starvation mode, but not feel like I'm going overboard and going into junk food mode? I'm so afraid of putting on more weight - all this depression is doing is making me second guess every decision. Plus, I know I need to get on meds soon for the depression, and those always cause me to gain weight too.
:(

Replies

• Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Eat food. Nuts, chicken breast, fruit, veggies, dark chocolate, protein powder… It is simple.
  • jollyjo777
    Options
    I had same problem plus not enough protein. I added EAS protein shakes. 100 calories 17 grams protein. I am diabetic so one protein shake mid morning and before bedtime works for me.
  • Jerodhold
    Options
    Protein shakes for protein and you can snack on nuts, like almonds and peanuts, high in HEALTHY fats and calories.
  • mellllls
    mellllls Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    are you eating breakfast? that would add some calories and supposedly it will jumpstart your metabolism. win-win.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    If you feel like eating sweets or junk food you can always get dessert flavored yogurt that is fat free, or the Sensible Portions veggie straws if you want something like chips. They're crispy and have just enough salt to satisfy the junk craving but have relatively few calories and are a good sized portion.

I have a hard time eating all my calories for the day too, but it's necessary so I do as well as I can. I also really like hardboiled eggs and a piece of cheese for high protein snacks.
  • cindyjoesousa
    cindyjoesousa Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Ive been doing this for over a year now and have lost 80 pounds simply by staying within my calorie range and walking/treadmilling a few days a week..
    I have myself set to lose a pound a week..
    Staying too far under your calorie goal on a CONTINUED BASIS is what causes your body to go into starvation mode..
    Stop worrying so much about it..lighten up a little..stress is known to make us hold on to belly fat..
    Take your calories up to just under what you've set yourself up for..It works!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, nuts, eggs, oils, meats, full fat dairy, quit trying to live on diet food like lettuce. Eat anything you want up to your budget. It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change because no one got overweight by living on lettuce and tuna. Learn to eat food in proper portions.
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Eat food. Nuts, chicken breast, fruit, veggies, dark chocolate, protein powder… It is simple.

+1

Protien powder will help bump your cals and protien in one quick shot. I mix mine straight with water, and blend with frozen mixed berries. No need to get fancy u less you want to. Just be careful, if you add too much stuff, you'll get too many cals one one shot
  • KristinD1977
    Options
    Depression sucks and though I've never been clinically depressed, I know how the weight and depression can feed off one another. When I get stressed I tend to fall off the chuck wagon and rapidly gain weight. This affects every aspect of my life so i really feel for you.
    I realize this comment is vague but do your best to eat all of your calories and do it with healthy nutritious foods that have a positive impact on your body. That will help remove the guilt... even if I have room in my calories I feel a little down on myself if I reach for empty calories.
    If you are concerned that medication will cause weight gain then maybe there are (healthier) alternatives to it. I know for me personally, exercise makes a world of difference in how I feel just from the endorphin's alone, not to mention when I start seeing changes in my body!!!! Obviously you should work with your doctor on this but maybe getting some sound nutrition advice and a whole lot of exercise can keep you of of the meds permanently. Good luck on your journey and remember that you only need to focus on 1 pound at a time!!!!
  • BethBeaman
    BethBeaman Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Try to eat some fruit, drink a glass of orange juice or a glass of milk. I struggle with the same problem! Good luck!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    MFP has given me a daily goal of 1630 calories. Yesterday, I barely broke 1000. I'm in a severe depression, and am trying to eat healthy. I know that even a 2lb weight loss will increase my self esteem. But, I'm really afraid of going into starvation mode and having my body not lose any weight.

Today's lunch was a large salad with spring mix, spinach, cucumbers, broccoli, carrots, sunflower seeds, cheese, and sesame dressing. I wasn't in the mood for any tuna, chicken or eggs - the only protein in the house. Snack is a few clemantines, maybe a yogurt, and dinner will probably be rice and eggs. Then my nightcap is a hot chocolate.

How can I add in more calories to avoid starvation mode, but not feel like I'm going overboard and going into junk food mode? I'm so afraid of putting on more weight - all this depression is doing is making me second guess every decision. Plus, I know I need to get on meds soon for the depression, and those always cause me to gain weight too.

Eat for mental health: canned or fresh oily fish (mackerel, sardines, salmon) daily for long chain omega-3s and vitamin D, switch the sunflower seeds for a nut or seed that contains less omega-6, more mineral rich foods especially those rich in magnesium, foods rich in B group vitamins particularly B9 and B12, protein little and often, avoid added sugar, keep saturated animal fats low.

For general health and nutrition be sure you are eating your seven to nine servings of fruit and veggies in the full rainbow of colours, green is not better than blue/ purple, red or orange/ yellow. Each item counts once so have one clementine and perhaps some mixed berries for other snacks. Also have your three servings of dairy a day. Chicken breast is not particularly nutritious, canned tuna does not contains the nutrients of other canned fish or of fresh tuna.

Some anti depressants can cause an increase in appetite either directly or indirectly by relieving the depression. If your depression is mild to moderate, physical activity and nutrition can be as effective a treatment.
  • laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    eating high fat foods can make calorie goals easier to achieve, as they 2x more calories per gram than carbs or protein. peanut butter, olive oil, nuts, all healthy sources of fat
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

I started out eating 6-700 calories a day.. Before subtracting exercise. Now I get my 1200 in. Baby steps.. Just add in a little here and a little there and you'll get to your goal. Remember protein when making your choices it's the best way to stop the hunger for junk.

I love just a scoop of peanut butter right off the spoon. I also have to make a large effort to eat in the morning or I don't get hungry at all. Even something small like an apple with some peanut butter or a hard boiled egg makes a huge difference is my day for eating.

Also.. I got some protein powder and started making shakes. that really helped me get breakfast in, since I don't like eating in the morning and I don't have a ton of time either.

That's what helped me.. is making a huge effort to have breakfast everyday. The days when I have breakfast I eat enough... the days when i don't;.. I struggle.

Baby steps.. one day at a time.. you will feel better and you will do it.
  • annfryingpan
    Options
    keep at it i have medication for my heart but i am losing about 2lb a week, i even go over on a weekend and i more or less eat what i want with in reason.
    Dont lose hope carry on and shove stuff on your plate weather you fancy it or not you might surprise yourself and eat it lol. xxx
  • omidiano
    Options
    Eat whatever the **** u wanna eat at the end of the day its the calories u take in proteins and fats are important be sure u take enough carbs i dont even..
  • tiffanyheth
    tiffanyheth Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    (((HUGS)) I know depression can be tough!

Why not try eating a few things that you just like? Maybe a sandwich or some peanut butter? Good food can boost your mood! Rice & Eggs for supper sounds depressing...try getting creative. Enter your ingredients onto a recipe site to find easy recipes!

You need to eat your calories! Also, how is your workout? Nothing improves my mood like a walk or run!
  • donteatmycookie
    donteatmycookie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Usually if I can't hit my calories I try to think of a quick, calorie-dense snack, like peanut butter on toast, or a handful or almonds. Nuts tend to pack a wallop.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

OK...as a depression patient myself ( diagnosed about 20 years ago) who has been off medication for years, let me tell you a few things that work for me.

1) When you don't feel like eating, you might have to eat like it is your JOB. Maybe 1/2 a peanut butter sandwich with that salad? Last night I *treated* myself to a graham cracker spread with nutella because I am PMSing and I had a chocolate craving.

2) make SURE you get your exercise in, especially some sort of cardio. i didn't realize how important cardio had become in my life until I hurt my leg mid-december and was unable to do any cardio or weight bearing weight lifting ( ie squats, leg press, deadlifts) for a week while I healed. By day four I was ready to seriously hurt someone! Exercise releases seratonin, dopamine, and endorphins.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Slice up half an avocado (around 110 calories) and add it to your salad. Drizzle it with a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil (100 calories). There's over 200 additional calories that you'll barely even notice. Bonus: add an ounce of almonds or other nuts to your salad (another 100+ calories).

As has already been mentioned, a tablespoon of peanut butter (which isn't much!) is an easy 100 calories. All these things contain healthy, essential fats.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    are you eating breakfast? that would add some calories and supposedly it will jumpstart your metabolism. win-win.

no it wont.

OP you have gotten some good advice about things to add...but meal timing has nothing to do with metabolism

I hope you are seeing someone for your depression and that things look up for you soon