How do you keep motivated every day?

Options

Replies

• kjf1982
    kjf1982 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    As bad as it sounds, I stay motivated by looking at a horrid picture of myself. I, like so many others, never really knew what I looked like to everyone else. Then I saw THE PICTURE... It changed everything. And if I am losing motivation, I think back on that picture and how horrible I look. Pretty much makes up my mind right then and there. :)
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I dont allow ' i cant today' or 'i dont feel like it today' or anything negative. i dont think about it, i just stay focused, work out, eat right and say no to bad things..... usually.
    i'm sometimes not perfect, but thats not unusual.
  • ssgtamputee
    Options
    The little tiny drill instructor in my head telling me"Get off your F#@^(^! *kitten* now you little puke stain" and push through.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,691 Member
    Options
    Make it a lifestyle habit and you won't need much motivation.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I was just having this conversation with a real life friend.

Motivation is totally overrated. If I waited to be motivated everyday, I would never do anything. You just have to do it anyway. Make it a part of your schedule- get home, lace up running shoes, run (or whatever the equivalent is for your workouts)- don't even let yourself think about the option to do it or not. Just do it.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I don't.

If I only worked out when I felt motivation in the air, it would never happen. I do it because it's good for me. Just like brushing my teeth and flossing. Who needs motivation for that? Nobody. Everyone knows you do it because it's healthy.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I don't. Some days I lose motivation completely and I just want to sit in front of the TV and eat an entire pizza by myself. The only thing that gets me to the gym in those times is the thought of how many people I would let down if I fell back into bad habits and gained back the weight I lost.

But most of the time, I get out there and do it because I love how I feel and it's fun and because this is the happiest I've been in a long, long time and because I've made it a habit that I'm loathe to break.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I don't.

If I only worked out when I felt motivation in the air, it would never happen. I do it because it's good for me. Just like brushing my teeth and flossing. Who needs motivation for that? Nobody. Everyone knows you do it because it's healthy.

That. Exactly.
  • RoseDarrett
    RoseDarrett Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    A lot of things,being here for my kids for one,being able to keep up with them.Thinking of my poor wardrobe.I also think of my dad's side of the family.Pretty much all diabetics and overweight.My grandmother dying of diabetes related illness,very sad and I don't want to go down that road.

I think of myself,as selfish as that sounds and how miserable I am when I'm massive,and think of how much happier I am when I'm at my goal weight.Having done it before I want to prove to myself that I can do it again.

I also think of people that want me to stay,big,fat,overweight,whatever you call it and I try to turn that into a positive.A previous poster also said,don't even give yourself the choice to say no to working out.Make it a part of your life and that's what I try to do as well.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    My motivation is directly related to my reasons for wanting to lose weight. Those reasons haven't gone anywhere, so why would my motivation? If anything, after having some success along the way, I am MORE motivated. I'm more determined than ever. How can I not be, when I see how far I've come? I'm only 1/3 the way to my ultimate goal but every goal and milestone I meet along the way gets me one step closer to where I want to be. No turning back!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I don't.

This is why you are so incredibly awesome - despite having outrageously bulky calves that are the envy of mountain goats :wink:
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I feel motivated most days because I remember how I felt a year ago.

I feel ALIVE now!

I cant WAIT to get to the gym. crank up my music, snarl at the weights, and show myself who I am.

was it always this way?
    no... But I wanted it...I wanted it more than anything because I was slowly dying inside, and killing myself on the outside.

Who are you? and who do you want to be?
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I love the sticker chart! My 3 year old has a reward chart with stars haha, although his goals are slightly different to yours lol.

My motivation is the way I look I guess. I put on weight in pregnancy, so I have been thinner, and 10 years ago I was at my thinnest and actually kept my clothes from then. So I use clothes as my motivation. My first step was my pre-pregnancy jeans. Now they fall down. So then my step was my Levis from 11 years ago. They fit perfectly now. My next goal is some other trousers from 10 years ago. Between the Levis and these ones i'd spent a lot of time in the gym! I think once these clothes fit me I am done with losing weight and will focus on toning up and building more muscle.

I will also treat myself to some Diesel jeans!
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options

Motivation is totally overrated. If I waited to be motivated everyday, I would never do anything. You just have to do it anyway. Make it a part of your schedule- get home, lace up running shoes, run (or whatever the equivalent is for your workouts)- don't even let yourself think about the option to do it or not. Just do it.

This. It's not so much that I'm motivated; it's become a part of my lifestyle.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Mine is easy. I started because of an "oh sh#%" moment. It's not appropriate to post, but my point is, I know why I started this, and that's why I know I'll be seeing it through.

If motivation is a problem, you should probably aim for a smaller deficit. If the alternative is giving up, which is a risk by the sound of it, try something that's manageable, and that you can live with.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options

Exactly! I just put on exercise clothes and do it. It's another thing I do now, like brush my teeth, take a shower, to care for my body.
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    "If I don't do it today, I'm not going to feel like it tomorrow either and that's what caused problems in the first place".
  • tynahhhh
    tynahhhh Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am going to make a sticker calendar hahhaa.
  • nini915
    nini915 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My daughter and my husband. I think about how my husband has stood by me and how I wanna look for our 1 year anniversary as a married couple. my daughter because although she is 4 and very petite but she grabs my face everyday and showers it wih kisses saying c'mon mommy u can do it!!! with her I know I can!!
  • Swany2
    Swany2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Stickers, what a fabulous idea, love it....