Starting Over Slowly

Options
Hello,
I've used myfitnesspal in the past it worked great! However I fell off track due to a variety of medical complications/injuries e.g back, foot, hernia good grief Charlie Brown! Give Me A Break! LOL

Anyways my wife and our weekly workout group have been very supportive.
I'm looking to stay motivated, find new exercises, stretches, and eating techniques which I can incorporate into my daily life routine.
I am limited due to bone spurs, back problems and my hernias which I am getting ready to have surgery in a few weeks to repair. There afer I have another upcoming surgery for my foot spurs ugh lol..

I am hoping to get myself surgery and pain free so I can hit the roads again to run/jog. Since I stopped jogging about 1.5 months ago, I put on 20 plus pounds!

Sorry for this long introduction but I'm looking to connect, learn and vent.

I wish you all luck in your endeavors and pray that I can stay focused, driven and on point.

Wish me luck,

Devil_Dawg :)

Replies

• doinwatigottado
    doinwatigottado Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    For now, I'd focusing on my eating habits. Because of the various health issues you can't do a whole lot. I think a safe way to go would be yoga. Holding poses and stretching can help alot with strength building. You won't aggravate the spurs and you'll sweat. :) Biking is another way to continue the sweat. I'll look up some poses for you. You can start wth those.

Stay strong you old warrior. You'll make it through this.
  • doinwatigottado
    doinwatigottado Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ng1YFDXWSh0&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

check this out!
  • Devil_Dawg
    Devil_Dawg Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Thank you my friend
  • Devil_Dawg
    Options
    YogaAmazing site is great a bit hard on my right heel a back but I tried it for a few minutes and had to stop prematurely. I ended up looking at other yoga sites on you tube and saw some interesting ones for beginners with sciatica and so on. Again thank you :)
  • sd_dilligaf
    sd_dilligaf Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Check out my profile. I need some friends to encourage and be encouraged by. I am here daily.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Well Devil Dawg, I'm Doc.

:bigsmile:

You are welcome to add me. I post frequently.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Welcome back to MFP! I have sore knees, and I'm here to suggest you think about bicycles instead of running. You can get the same level of calorie burn and endorphins without jarring your back and leg joints in ways that can cause or aggravate spurs. Talk to your medical advisors about it. I hope everything goes well.
  • 1KiwiChick
    1KiwiChick Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Welcome back!! you need to take it slowly re-exercise so just focus mainly on diet to start with and build up your exercise gradually. Good luck, feel free to add me.
  • Devil_Dawg
    Options
    Thank you for the advice, I will definitely take it into serious consideration. Feel free to add me if you like.

Thank you again :)
  • HollV
    HollV Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I too have been struggling with pain and getting back into a fitness regime. I have been doing water aerobics since September and find them very helpful. They are gentler on joints. Sometime I still have to modify exercises if they hurt injured joints.
  • Devil_Dawg
    Options
    Thanks Holly for the advice on water aeorborics. It sounds amazing and I'm glad that it's been working for you thus far. Definitely something to ponder :)