?? about calories burned

lcarter01
lcarter01 Posts: 8 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
So I have been working out at the local YMCA and the number of calories that the machines say I burned are like a third of what myfitnesspal says. Which one is right? ( Please say myftnesspal:) )

Replies

• spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    I go by the machine. I think that the program is set for a specific Stride, weight, and age..... When I put in my 33 min on elpical it states over 600 however, the machine tells me roughly between 390 and 410. BUT yesterday, i picked up the pace and burned 416. SO I h onestly think it is a guide... but I think the machine works.... I know not as much but you don't want to gain either.. Lets see what others say...:):smile:
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    I just purchased a heart rate monitor- polar ft7. The machines and mfp were telling me I was burning way more calories than I actually am. All of it is just an approximation of calories burned related to your heart rate. With the HRM, you can at least get your heart rate up and make sure you are working hard enough! If you don't want to purchase one, I would just take the lower of the two numbers.
  • MFP isn't set on any specific ratio, it's just what members have put in. We're all different sizes, shapes, and athletic levels. The most accurate I have been with the machines was subtracting 20% from the total calories it said I burned. That was about even with my HRM...yes, I was neurotic enough to try and see what it would take to get accurate #'s, lol. Or doing the same thing, I input my weight as 20% less when I started and it was accurate. I am so sad to see that I have to work out 2x as hard now to use the same amount of calories as I did 3 months ago, but my scale is breathing a sigh of relief :wink:
This discussion has been closed.