Need Smoothie ideas

Options
I need to REALLY up my protein intake. Most days I either don't reach the MFP goals or just hit it (and I know the preset goal is low). I have added weight lifting to my previously cardio heavy workouts so I really need to get those numbers up. I am working on including more protein rich foods in my diet (switched to Greek yogurt, for example) but I still struggle - partially because I don't eat that much meat and I don't like eggs. I have decided that at least until I figure this all out that I am going to need to add whey protein in a smoothie to my diet. I often will have one at the gym after a work out but 1) they are expensive if I buy them several times a week and 2) they have a crazy number of calories in my opinion (just under 400).

So...please share your favorite smoothie/shake recipes that don't break the bank on calories. Thanks!

Replies

• Nacho12
    Nacho12 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I eat this every morning for breakfast. I am full until lunchtime and they are only about 350 calories.
    Berry Smoothy
    1 cup berries (strawberries, raspberries & blueberries)
    1 scoop whey protein powder (vanilla or chocolate)
    1 tbsp flax seed
    1 tbsp chia seeds
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk (40 calories)

Pumpkin Smoothy
    1 cup canned pumpkin
    1 scoop whey protein powder
    1 Tbsp flax seed
    1 Tbsp chia seeds
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk (40 calories)
    1 tsp Pumpkin pie spice
    1 tsp Cinnamon
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Whey isolate is not a substitute for food it is a supplement, it doesn't contain all the nutrients that other protein foods contain. Try eating more fish, seafood, nuts, seeds and hard cheese and/ or research a balanced vegetarian/ vegan diet. There are loads of threads on smoothie recipes if you run a search here, on the Recipes board and on the Diet & Weight Loss board.
  • Teeladog
    Teeladog Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Whey isolate is not a substitute for food it is a supplement, it doesn't contain all the nutrients that other protein foods contain. Try eating more fish, seafood, nuts, seeds and hard cheese and/ or research a balanced vegetarian/ vegan diet. There are loads of threads on smoothie recipes if you run a search here, on the Recipes board and on the Diet & Weight Loss board.

I am fully aware of that...that is why I said in my original post that this is a TEMPORARY thing until I figure the protein thing out. I have already made changes to my diet and I plan to make more. In fact, I just ate some nuts....yummy!
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I had some sprite zero left over from when I was sick about a week ago. I made one using:
    8 ounces of sprite zero
    1/2 cup frozen cherries
    1/4 cup frozen rasberries
    2 tbsp. lime juice(from concentrate)
    1 scoop of whey, but I think a cup of greek yogurt would be good, too
    2 frozen spinach cups

I also saw a recipe on eating for life for an orange dream shake that's pretty good.
    1 can of diet orange soda
    1 serving size container of orange cream yogurt
    1 scoop vanilla whey
    1 orange
    ice cubes
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

While that may be true, there is nothing wrong with a smoothie, or protein shake, here, or there. They are a good, healthier, substitute for sweets like ice cream, and milk shakes.
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    My morning smoothie: 5 frozen strawberries, 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, 1/2 cup 3% plain yogurt, 1 scoop protein powder, 1-2 leaves raw kale, 1 cup water. 246 calories, 27 g protein.

I'm not one for eating much solid food in the morning, so protein powder is the best thing I can think of to get a lot of protein in first thing. Throughout the rest of the day I eat eggs and meat to add to my total. I usually average about 100g of protein a day.