Which type of protein? (NEWBIE, Please help)

Replies

• GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member

Do you mean I am wrong?

I am sure that I would need more than 40 something g of protein a day?

No no, i was telling the person who is giving you wrong information that she is wrong.

You should be eating 198 grams of Protein a day, so eat whatever wholefoods you can with high protein amounts and just drink your BFs Whey to make up any remaining grams.

If she's 60kg (132lb), and lets assume 25%bf - then I'd suggest 99g/day of protein. Which works out as 1g per lb of lbm.
    Start there and see how you go.

200g/day is too much for her. She needs to decide how she's going to lift and whether or not she's eating at maintenance/deficit/surplus.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member

Do you mean I am wrong?

No no, i was telling the person who is giving you wrong information that she is wrong.

You should be eating 198 grams of Protein a day, so eat whatever wholefoods you can with high protein amounts and just drink your BFs Whey to make up any remaining grams.

A 60kg (132 pounds) 18 year old female needs 198g of protein, which study are you getting that from? You don't even know her lean body weight and she certainly is not 198 pounds of lean tissue!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member

No you do not need 90grams of protein a day.

here you go

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/protein

I'm sorry but you are wrong in this instance, that amount of Protein would only apply if you was in a coma or did nothing all day.
    If you are not eating enough Protein (1g per lb of lean muscle) then you will be using your muscles for energy and will lose any gains.

I am personally eating nearly 200g of Protein a day for my Maintenance, i do 5x5 split lifting.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calpro.htm

You need 198g of Protein if you were lifting a lot.

Actually I'm not wrong, it doesn't say that is the amount of protein you need if you did nothing all day.

you need .36g of protein per pound of bodyweight, which might be easier for people to calculate if they do not know their lean body mass.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/268351-usda-recommendations-of-protein-in-diet/ and that's according to usda.

If you are eating 200g of protein a day you must be two pregnant women or weight over 500lbs
  • redraidergirl2009

Do you mean I am wrong?

if she was eating around 200g of protein a day she'd either go over on calories or be eating nothing but protein shakes.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    There are no 'new rules' for lifting for women, they can progress the same as a man, just tends to be a little tougher in the long run due to testosterone.
    The poster was referring to a book/workout program which is titled New Rules of Lifting for Women (you'll often see it abbreviated on MFP as "NROLFW".

To the OP - as far as protein goes, the common recommendation for people involved in a regular strength training routine with the goal of maintaining/building muscle ranges from 1g per pound of LBM to 1g per pound of bodyweight. Discussion of it, along with links to peer-reviewed scientific studies, can be found in this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/823505-research-on-protien-intake

Alan Aragon, Lyle McDonald and Eric Helms (all respected researchers and trainers) support these recommendations. If you have the time and inclination to educate yourself, watch "The Protein Roundtable" on YouTube, in which Alan and Eric engage in an extensive discussion of research related to protein requirements:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFObr7rc1kA
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    maximuscle with green tea is okay
  • redraidergirl2009
    Hun, you don't need to add a protein shake to your work out. That is adding extra calories that you just burned off. You are looking to gain some muscle and lose a bit of fat therefore it makes no sense to drink a 200 calorie+ shake after that type of work out if you are not a body builder. You'll just be wasting calories. Just stick to a healthy diet.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Actually I'm not wrong, it doesn't say that is the amount of protein you need if you did nothing all day.

you need .36g of protein per pound of bodyweight, which might be easier for people to calculate if they do not know their lean body mass.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/268351-usda-recommendations-of-protein-in-diet/ and that's according to usda.
    Sorry, but Livestrong does not qualify as a reliable research site and the RDA is set far too low for people engaged in strength training with a goal of retaining/increasing lean body mass.
    If you are eating 200g of protein a day you must be two pregnant women or weight over 500lbs
    My intake is set at about 190 grams per day (but I often exceed that). I have about 190 pounds of lean body mass, so that's right at 1g/lb LBM. At 4 calories per gram of protein that comes out to 760 calories, which is just under 1/3 of my daily calorie intake of 2400 calories.
    Hun, you don't need to add a protein shake to your work out. That is adding extra calories that you just burned off. You are looking to gain some muscle and lose a bit of fat therefore it makes no sense to drink a 200 calorie+ shake after that type of work out if you are not a body builder. You'll just be wasting calories. Just stick to a healthy diet.
    Since you're apparently unaware of it, part of MFP's program is that you eat your exercise calories back to avoid creating too large a deficit. Creating a larger deficit (especially with inadequate protein intake) makes it more difficult to retain lean body mass. First you say the OP is "looking to gain some muscle", then you tell her to create a larger deficit - do you realize that you need a caloric surplus to synthesize lean body mass? As to your advice to "Just stick to a healthy diet", part of a "healthy diet" is not creating an excessively large caloric deficit - which means eating your exercise calories back (or at least some of them) if you're following MFP's recommendations.
  • redraidergirl2009

Sorry, but Livestrong does not qualify as a reliable research site and the RDA is set far too low for people engaged in strength training with a goal of retaining/increasing lean body mass.
    My intake is set at about 190 grams per day (but I often exceed that). I have about 190 pounds of lean body mass, so that's right at 1g/lb LBM. At 4 calories per gram of protein that comes out to 760 calories, which is just under 1/3 of my daily calorie intake of 2400 calories.

I guess I am special snowflake for eating less than 200g of protein a day and still seeing increases in my muscle mass.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Hi there,

...cardio as a warm up for around 45 mins in total (usually a bike workout first, then cool down on the treadmill walking, a five or so minute break and a drink then some light cross trainer ) and then do work on the weight machines and target a specific area on that day: for example one day leg machines one day arms. I'm starting to do core at home with my boyfriend too (crunches etc).

...I was thinking about drinking my boyfriend's Whey protein isolate after each workout?...

As others said, warm up for maybe 10 minutes, lift, then do 20 minutes after lifting. This will allow you to put more effort into lifting which will help with body composition.

I'd suggest looking at your food intake and nudging it towards higher protein rather than consuming protein shakes. Nuts, beans, yogurt, etc. If you find you aren't taking in an appropriate amount of protein have a shake but reduce your intake elsewhere (starchy/carby foods is a good option).
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Thanks for the Bro-Science!
  • DeanBurrows
    DeanBurrows Posts: 116 Member
    Ok ok, i didn't do the maths on 60kg, i just typed it into the Protein Calculator on Bodybuilding.com and it gave me 198 grams.

Now that i've converted the kg to lbs then S_277_F is right in the assumption of roughly 100g of protein a day will be good.
  • redraidergirl2009
    @RedRaidergirl

300cals a shake?? My whey is only 100cals a shake with 25g of protein. You are under the typical impression that whey shakes = mass gainers. Not the case sorry.

@BlackTimber

Was that aimed at me?

Considering I did the whole "protein shake" after a work out before I think I'm familiar with what shakes are out there and it was just a waste of calories honestly, if it's 120calories or 300. I'd prefer to just use those calories with a meal or snack than waste them on a protein shake with no benefit. If you add a shake to where you'd typically not, you are adding calories = weight gain, well decreasing weight loss if you are not technically eating too much. Protein is not a magic powder that makes you lose weight.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator

I guess I am special snowflake for eating less than 200g of protein a day and still seeing increases in my muscle mass.

Highly unlikely. You may be increasing strength, but you are not increasing muscle mass if you are on a calorie deficit. If you are eating a surplus (and gaining weight) and have a weight training program to allow you to "bulk or add muscle", then it's another story. But it's virtually impossible to gain new lean body mass if you are eating in a deficit. It's only possible if you have never lifted before (lucky to see 1-2 lbs of new muscle) or if you are morbidly obese. Unfortunately, too many people associate muscle definition (cutting body fat) and strength gains (muscles more efficient) as new muscle mass.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    obviously not extremely heavy ones

why obviously not heavy ones?
  • psuLemon
    @RedRaidergirl

300cals a shake?? My whey is only 100cals a shake with 25g of protein. You are under the typical impression that whey shakes = mass gainers. Not the case sorry.

@BlackTimber

Was that aimed at me?

Considering I did the whole "protein shake" after a work out before I think I'm familiar with what shakes are out there and it was just a waste of calories honestly, if it's 120calories or 300. I'd prefer to just use those calories with a meal or snack than waste them on a protein shake with no benefit. If you add a shake to where you'd typically not, you are adding calories = weight gain, well decreasing weight loss if you are not technically eating too much. Protein is not a magic powder that makes you lose weight.

You are correct. Protein powder is not magic. But you have to think of it as a supplement. The only people that need it, are those who 1. struggle to get calories or 2. struggle to get adequate protein. Some of us need a lot of calories, I am 2500-2700 and if I am eating clean, it's harder for me to get my 180gs of protein. So I supplement. When I bulk, I need 3250, which at this point, I get a higher calorie protein shake to ensure I get 1g of protein per lb of body weight.

Do you really need protein powder... nope but it's no different than a vitamin or any other supplement.
  • redraidergirl2009
    @RedRaidergirl

@BlackTimber

Was that aimed at me?

You are correct. Protein powder is not magic. But you have to think of it as a supplement. The only people that need it, are those who 1. struggle to get calories or 2. struggle to get adequate protein. Some of us need a lot of calories, I am 2500-2700 and if I am eating clean, it's harder for me to get my 180gs of protein. So I supplement. When I bulk, I need 3250, which at this point, I get a higher calorie protein shake to ensure I get 1g of protein per lb of body weight.

Do you really need protein powder... nope but it's no different than a vitamin or any other supplement.

3250 calories? What are you?
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member

Since you're apparently unaware of it, part of MFP's program is that you eat your exercise calories back to avoid creating too large a deficit. Creating a larger deficit (especially with inadequate protein intake) makes it more difficult to retain lean body mass. First you say the OP is "looking to gain some muscle", then you tell her to create a larger deficit - do you realize that you need a caloric surplus to synthesize lean body mass? As to your advice to "Just stick to a healthy diet", part of a "healthy diet" is not creating an excessively large caloric deficit - which means eating your exercise calories back (or at least some of them) if you're following MFP's recommendations.

:heart:
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    proteins protein
  • psuLemon
    @RedRaidergirl

@BlackTimber

Was that aimed at me?

3250 calories? What are you?

I am a 5'11, 195 lb, 30 year old guy with a desk job and I workout 6 days a week. I do cut phases at 2500-2700. But if I want to gain muscle, I am above 3000. If it makes you feel better, the majority of women I have help cut at 1700-2100 and if they want to gain muscle, they bulk at 2500+.

It's simple science. To lose weight, you create a catabolic state (calorie deficit) and to gain weight you need a anabolic state (calorie surplus). Gaining muscle and losing fat are mutually exclusive and require different amounts of eating.

BTW, here is a story of a woman who is a power lifter, she eats 3000-4000 calories a day. She is far from bulky.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/