Pasta serving size

Options
Okay so I read tha 1/2 cup of pasta ia serving size, but then read that macaronni is 1 cup a serving size. I am trying to figure out how much is a serving size of pizza casserole...

Replies

• mjswalters
    mjswalters Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The typical rule, as I've discovered it, is that 2 oz of dry pasta equals a cup. Usually, on the boxes I buy, 2 oz dry is listed as a serving size so that's generally what I go with.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I believe US serving is for half a cup cooked pasta, but you are recommended something like six to ten servings per day so obviously can have more than one serving per meal.
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    A true serving size is 1/2 cup of pasta or grain. That said, you should be eating 6-8 servings of grain per day (less if you're on carb restriction, but let's pretend you're not). SO it is reasonable that 1 portion of macaroni and cheese @ 1 cup could be 2 servings and still a completely reasonable meal size.

Serving sizes set by food manufacturers sadly do not always (often) conform to nutritional guidelines. I've found that if it's a snack food, they allot you as much food as they can under 200-300 calories. If it's a meal, they allot as much as they can under 450-600 calories. And it may have not a damn thing to do with nutritionally sound serving sizes.