IIFYM. If you don't know what this means, GIH

Options

Replies

• BeDawn
    BeDawn Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I've been looking for a realistic eating plan, and I think this is it! I need something I can maintain forever, not just "until I reach my goal weight''.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I approve.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Hear, Hear.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Second, I know some of the members in the IIFYM crew may seem a tad cocky and obnoxious at times but believe me when I tell you, 99.9% of the time they're only looking out for your best interests. The way I see it, if you can't indulge in the foods you love, you're just gonna be miserable. By walling off your favorite foods, all you're doing is releasing the parking brake of the Bugatti Veyron that is your will power and thus enabling the inevitable, colossal binge that is the tree at the bottom of the hill you're on. From now on instead of thinking of IIFYM as something that may negatively impact your diet, think of it as as a blessing sent from above, Because let's be real, I know everyone must be tired of eating Chicken breasts and rice by now. =)

Remember, everything is good “in moderation”

Bravo! :smile:
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Theory is sound, I tend to fill in extra calories with tasty foods, but my macros and deficit pretty much make me stay on a more normal diet path. Good luck getting all the needed macro/micro nutrients on 1k defecit a day, while eating enough low cal foods so you aren't plagued by hunger all day. If you can do it eating junk, more power to you, but I do prefer to fill my day in with foods that are more beneficial to my overall health.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Err what about your micros?
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    You are wise, Grasshopper. So young and you get it.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Well Said
  • kms1320
    Options

I see IIFYM as more geared towards weight loss than overall health, but I suppose it is possible to get macros and micros right when you are eating at maintenance or a surplus. When your goals are 2lb/loss per week, you won't be able to get both on a IIFYM diet without proper supplementation, and you will also likely be fighting hunger and cravings because you gave in to a high cal treat and can't eat for a few hours or you'll go over your macros.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

I see IIFYM as more geared towards weight loss than overall health, but I suppose it is possible to get macros and micros right when you are eating at maintenance or a surplus. When your goals are 2lb/loss per week, you won't be able to get both on a IIFYM diet without proper supplementation, and you will also likely be fighting hunger and cravings because you gave in to a high cal treat and can't eat for a few hours or you'll go over your macros.

I've never had that issue on days when I actually followed the guidance because I make sure I drink milk and eat some vegetables. The RDA micronutrient targets really aren't that hard to hit. IIFYM is also a general rule, and you should be designing your diet to hit your micronutrient targets, but you can do that without completely destroying your ability to live a normal life.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Good post! Forget the lettuce and broccoli and eat some food!

You can actually eat all the lettuce and broccoli that you want as long as it fits your macros. :)
  • kms1320
    Options
    Good post! Forget the lettuce and broccoli and eat some food!

You can actually eat all the lettuce and broccoli that you want as long as it fits your macros. :)
    Which you would have to eat almost a metric ton of to go over your macros! And not to mention how full you'd feel eating so many good veggies..
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    Theory is sound, I tend to fill in extra calories with tasty foods, but my macros and deficit pretty much make me stay on a more normal diet path. Good luck getting all the needed macro/micro nutrients on 1k defecit a day, while eating enough low cal foods so you aren't plagued by hunger all day. If you can do it eating junk, more power to you, but I do prefer to fill my day in with foods that are more beneficial to my overall health.

I agree...i would rather worry about eating foods that are good for me than worrying how i can fit a big mac into my macros.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

I agree...i would rather worry about eating foods that are good for me than worrying how i can fit a big mac into my macros.
    Both of you demonstrate a complete misunderstanding of IIFYM. Don't feel bad, it happens every time this topic is discussed. Read SideSteel's explanation of it here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817188-iifym
  • lesita75
    lesita75 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Next time you decide to steal someone else's blog post be a doll and give them credit!!!!!!!

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133160853&highlight=Iifym.+don't+means
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Next time you decide to steal someone else's blog post be a doll and give them credit!!!!!!!

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133160853&highlight=Iifym.+don't+means

LOL. Busted.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    HAH!

now THAT'S amazing.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    nomnomnom.gif

Definitely EAT ...... thanks !
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    989833u89-1.jpg
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    The first thing I told my dietician when I started this journey was, I HAVE TO BE ABLE TO EAT THINGS I LIKE.

And I do. :drinker: