What's with all the crud when I run?

Options
I've been doing a lot of walking lately and wanted to pick up running again. Today is day 2 of running 5 miles around the hilly golf course behind my office building. Both times I have coughed up "junk". It happens while I'm running and then for about an hour after that. Any idea of what this might be caused from?

Replies

• firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Do you have allergies or asthma? If not, then keep reading. If so, this post isn't for you...

Your lungs produce surfactant in order to keep your alveoli open and moist. It's like mucous. When you exercise, your body naturally produces more of it in order to keep your lungs moist.

It's normal, and will get better as you get more accustomed to exercising hard.
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Thank you for explaining that!! I have asthma and I never knew that is why I hack stuff up when I'm working out. And it is always worse if I haven't been working out and start back.
  • auntbliz
    auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    That happens to my husband too, even when he was running daily in the Marines. He would actually throw up frequently because he'd end up getting some running down his throat and making him sick. He's got chronic sinusitis and celiacs disease, not that those are the cause, but those are what we know he's got that could contribute. I have asthma and don't get that, but mine is pretty mild.
  • pamh5555
    pamh5555 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    It is funny but my nose always runs. I do have allergies but they are not sure as I have had allergy tests but no reactions. I have to take veramyst daily just to keep the sinusitus from acting up. I had it for 3 years consistenly until they found a medicine that works.
  • mariena
    mariena Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I know I have allergies, and when I run my nose runs, so I end up doing a lot of sniffing, which then the mucus drains down your throat, then you have to clear your throat and then ta da, crud.
  • SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    Do you have allergies or asthma? If not, then keep reading. If so, this post isn't for you...

Your lungs produce surfactant in order to keep your alveoli open and moist. It's like mucous. When you exercise, your body naturally produces more of it in order to keep your lungs moist.

It's normal, and will get better as you get more accustomed to exercising hard.

Very interesting. I had to do a wikipedia search after reading your post. Thank you for the added knowledge!
  • boscopup
    boscopup Posts: 20
    Options
    I know I have allergies, and when I run my nose runs, so I end up doing a lot of sniffing, which then the mucus drains down your throat, then you have to clear your throat and then ta da, crud.

This is what happens to me too... So it's allergies? I just started running a month ago.
  • themethod
    themethod Posts: 257
    Options
    For some people it's allergies and for some it's not. People who posted that sinus drainage goes down the back of your throat and into your lungs and/or stomach are correct. You may be coughing that up, in addition to other mucous in your lungs. Rhinitis (swollen nasal tissue) is what causes excess mucous production when you exercise and it is annoying, but nothing to worry about. However, if the color of the mucous changes go and see a doctor as you may have a treatable infection. Also, if you were ever a smoker, take that into consideration.