Salvaging Mock Mashed Potatoes

Options
2»

Replies

• maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    The people that are saying it tastes like real potatoes are lying/exaggerating. It might be an ok substitute if they've stopped eating potatoes, but it's cauliflower and it's going to taste like cauliflower (which I personally love, but it's not potatoes).
  • svalenzeno
    svalenzeno Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You could also try and turn it into a soup! I recently made a cream of roasted cauliflower soup and it was delicious! Maybe add some milk and chicken stock until you have the proper consistency. If you have a stick blender, those are amazing for making soups... definitely one of my favorite kitchen tools. Otherwise, I also think the mac n' cheese idea could be yummy.
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    If you dont like cauliflower.. you probably will NOT like mock potatoes made from cauliflower.. even in the food processor it still has the taste of cauliflower somewhat... because IT IS cauliflower.. you can salvage it by adding some instant mashed potatoes thou.. good luck
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower mashed fauxtatoes are gross. Just set it on fire.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower mashed fauxtatoes are gross. Just set it on fire.

I have to agree. I tried several different methods and all have a weird texture. I WANT to like them. I LOVE cauliflower and I make cauliflower pizza crust, loaded faux-tatoes, cauliflower muffins, cauliflower mac and cheese ...and the delicious list goes on and on. Only the mashed cauliflower continues to thwart me.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    cauliflower tastes nothing like potatoes. the people who say mashed cauliflower tastes like mashed potatoes are either deluding themselves or have sh*tty tastebuds

with that said, i love cauliflower so i also like mashed cauliflower.

but you're not going to get a cauliflower to taste like a spud :wink:
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a processor, cook the cauliflower till soft. Mash them, then heat up again in the pot, mixing everything else in, then use an egg beater to smoothen them out. It should work perfect!
  • beadybliss
    Options
    Mashed cauliflower is NOT mashed potatoes, true, but it is a lower calorie version of a mash you can serve as a side or as a meal - I will use this for a side with my pork tenderloin dish.

The trick is to boil (not steam) the cauliflower well and drain well before mashing. In the UK, we have jellied stock cubes that really add flavour.

Bon apetit!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    These days, I usually have mashed carrot and swede instead of mashed potato. It doesn't taste like mashed potato, but it has a similar texture and "comfort food" feel - lovely with meat and gravy!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I think it has all been said, but pureed/mashed cauli still tastes like cauli. If I were you I'd just add a bit of cheese, some pan-fried chicken or salmon fillet, a few more pre-cooked veg (frozen peas or sweetcorn would work), a bit more cheese grated on top then all baked in the oven.

I actually like mock mash but find it gets jammed under the blades if I try to use the blender to prepare it so I have to use my food processor to get it smooth. It always comes out really sloppy, like a puree, and is lovely although nothing like proper potato mash.
  • Gwilson939
    Gwilson939 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I started to try this recipe once, but as I was chopping the cauliflower, I tossed some of the bits into my mouth and discovered that I REALLY liked it raw the best! Since then, I've been addicted to raw cauliflower.. and I never really liked cauliflower before!! My taste buds have really changed since cutting out all the overly refined and sugary stuff. I may try some of the cauliflower recipes again if I can make the recipe go farther than the raw bits that I'm loving!

I was of the understanding that boiling it works better than steaming for this dish, and a food processor perhaps.. Although, I will likely just use my Ninja,.. since it chops ice cubes into snow, the cauliflower should not be much of a challenge, especially if I cook it first.

Here's a recipe page where the author is a chef and is, if fact, a chef who promotes healthy eating! I have her cookbook and some of her spices.. Yummy!!

http://www.timesavorgourmet.com/lgrecipesindex.html

And here's her recipe for Cauliflower Faux-potatoes:

http://www.timesavorgourmet.com/medifastrecipetatoes.html

Here's another website that I bookmarked that has some awesome recipes too:

http://newbeautifulme.blogspot.com/p/lean-and-green-cookbook.html

And HER recipe for Fauxtatoes-mashed cauliflower:

http://newbeautifulme.blogspot.com/2010/10/fauxtatoes-mashed-cauliflower.html

The recipes that I've tried from these two sites have exploded my taste buds in delight!!

If you don't have a food processor, perhaps someone on Craigs list might have one to sell? My former DIL buys tons of stuff on CraigsList.. She checks there before heading to the store.. but she has six kids to support, so she has to watch her dollars very carefully.... Buy used before new, at her house.. (She's so addicted to CraigsList, she even has a CraigsList app on her phone!)

It's just a thought!!
    Gloria