PONITS PLUS AND NOT LOSING ???

Options
Anyone doing WW points plus and not losing? I am trying MFP now instead. Any thoughts?

Replies

• JessieTangerine
    JessieTangerine Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I did ww last spring and didnt lose. Calculated out and I was eating between 1200 cals a day. I went to bed hungry every night and I just did not enjoy the food I was eating. I kept opting for low-fat, low-carb options even though I knew they tasted gross. At some point I realized that this was not the way I wanted to live my life and switched to calorie counting instead. The most positive thing about mfp is learning that macronutrient ratios can be adjustable, and that having a banana with peanut butter is a great, healthy snack, not a splurge the equivilant of a meal. Overall, Im much happier on mfp.

As a side note, my mom has lost over fifty pounds this year on weight watchers. For her, the structure really helps her. Everyone is different. If you are on the fence about keeping with ww, search the forums for ww on mfp. There is a way get mfp to show you ww points, so you can track simultaneously.

Wish you all the luck on your weight loss journey!
  • klackey23
    Options
    I've been doing both WW and MFP. I like knowing my calories. I sometimes feel that WW doesn't give enough calories because I'm not the type of person who eats 300 calories of fruit and veggies a day (which have 0 points, but do contain calories).

Also with WW, I found I was always saving all my extra calories for cheat days, so on days when I was only eating my 26 PP that would sometimes only add up to 1,050 calories b/c I wasn't eating a ton of veggies/fruits. And because I wanted to lose as much weight as possible as quickly as possible, I felt I couldn't even eat all my weekly and activity points. I think since I'm getting close to maintenance and upping my calorie goal as a result that I may drop WW.

5302942.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I did ww last spring and didnt lose. Calculated out and I was eating between 1200 cals a day. I went to bed hungry every night and I just did not enjoy the food I was eating. I kept opting for low-fat, low-carb options even though I knew they tasted gross. At some point I realized that this was not the way I wanted to live my life and switched to calorie counting instead. The most positive thing about mfp is learning that macronutrient ratios can be adjustable, and that having a banana with peanut butter is a great, healthy snack, not a splurge the equivilant of a meal. Overall, Im much happier on mfp.

As a side note, my mom has lost over fifty pounds this year on weight watchers. For her, the structure really helps her. Everyone is different. If you are on the fence about keeping with ww, search the forums for ww on mfp. There is a way get mfp to show you ww points, so you can track simultaneously.

Wish you all the luck on your weight loss journey!

I completely agree with the bold. I think that for some, weight watchers is a great tool to get calorie counts lower and drop some weight. The problem is that it doesn't teach you about nutrition and how to eat so that you can stick to your plan.
  • melinda2308
    melinda2308 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    thanks for the post. do you know how to count points with mfp? where do we go to see ww pts
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    thanks for the post. do you know how to count points with mfp? where do we go to see ww pts

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/822197-how-to-track-weight-watchers-points-on-mfp?hl=using+ww+points+with+mfp
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I've been doing both WW and MFP. I like knowing my calories. I sometimes feel that WW doesn't give enough calories because I'm not the type of person who eats 300 calories of fruit and veggies a day (which have 0 points, but do contain calories).

Also with WW, I found I was always saving all my extra calories for cheat days, so on days when I was only eating my 26 PP that would sometimes only add up to 1,050 calories b/c I wasn't eating a ton of veggies/fruits. And because I wanted to lose as much weight as possible as quickly as possible, I felt I couldn't even eat all my weekly and activity points. I think since I'm getting close to maintenance and upping my calorie goal as a result that I may drop WW.

5302942.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

This is exactly what happened to me. I found I wasn't getting enough calories. I have learned much more using this site.
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I was starving all the time and just couldn't keep to my points. And ate waaaaaay too many bananas. I got tired of constantly converting from calories to points. Too much work! I tried hard for a month and only lost a few pounds which I gained all back in a week. Was so happy to switch to MFP+low carb and lost weight much faster without starving all the time.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I did WW at the beginning of last year. I ended up here because I just KNEW that I wasn't getting enough calories and I had to "cheat" on the program to get enough. I didn't like feeling like a failure but knew I needed more food.

When I started tracking my food here, it turns out I was able to still lose weight eating the equivalent of about 58 points per day. With WW I was allowed about 34 for that same day (exercise included).

You get way more calories for the point when you eat very clean, but if you don't always... like me... you get SUPER penalized for anything unhealthy. I prefer just having complete control over my macros too.
  • lvtruu1
    lvtruu1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    If you follow weight watchers you will lose weight. If you count calories you will lose weight. Weight watchers doesn't limit what you can eat, just how much. For beginners it is a great system. So many people don't realize the agony counting calories can be.
    My wife has and continues to use WW+ and has dropped a lot of weight. I followed a long with her at the very beginning of my weight loss journey but soon realized that counting calories was a better method for me. She's still working the program and continues to lose weight. I personally didn't like that that it was vague and that how are you ever going to transition out of the program if you never really know how many calories you are sticking in your pie hole.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I did WW at the beginning of last year. I ended up here because I just KNEW that I wasn't getting enough calories and I had to "cheat" on the program to get enough. I didn't like feeling like a failure but knew I needed more food.

When I started tracking my food here, it turns out I was able to still lose weight eating the equivalent of about 58 points per day. With WW I was allowed about 34 for that same day (exercise included).

You get way more calories for the point when you eat very clean, but if you don't always... like me... you get SUPER penalized for anything unhealthy. I prefer just having complete control over my macros too.

Yes, this is exactly what I found when I did both for a while. I lost the first 13 on WW and the other 30 on here.
  • AllergicToExercise
    AllergicToExercise Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Do you eat all your weekly points as well as the daily points? How long have you been doing WW for?

I've started it at the beginning of this year and am down 6.2lbs so far although I do agree with what others have said about it being restrictive. But then I needed that because I was eating to much rubbish while left to my own devices with calories before. Guess it's whatever suits the individual. :smile:
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of WW. Perhaps it's just me, but everyone I've ever known who has done WW has gained back all the weight they lost as soon as they came off the diet.

I'm in control of my macros. I'm exercising regularly. If I lose weight more slowly, it doesn't bother me because I know that it should stay off.