Chiari Malformation Pals??

Options
Hello :)

I was recently diagnosed with Chiari Malformation. Short description, part of my brain sticks out of the base of my skull and into my spine. Too lazy to post a link for info but the Mayo Clinic site has a good description. Anyhow, I am looking to see if there's anyone on MFP who has it and if anyone has had the decompression surgery. Looking for hope that once I recover from surgery that I just might be able to refocus on my fitness goals of building muscle and lowering body fat percentage. Thanks!

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling this won't be tonight's exciting post, but I hope that someone sees it!
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    bumping for you hun
  • QueenMother14
    QueenMother14 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I had the decompression surgery 10 weeks ago today. :)
  • lahickman1
    lahickman1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I have Chiari too, I haven't had surgery so I'm trying to find an exercise routine that doesn't make my symptoms worse - I'm currently doing 30 mins of wii free step a day so nothing to difficult but I'm not sure how much weight this will help me lose!
    My mum had decompression surgery over 20 years ago and it worked wonders for her - I hope you're doing well :)
  • eebs1981
    eebs1981 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know this thread is more than a year old but I just found it via search, looking for anyone else on here with Chiari malformation. I had decompression surgery last December and my neuro has now told me I need to get on a fitness routine, so I'm on the lookout for low-impact things I can do while I work on building stamina. I also have syringomyelia (spinal cyst that sometimes accompanies Chiari) and while it was drained during surgery and is still collapsed, I have enough spinal cord damage that I'll probably never be able to run or job more than a handful of steps at a time. So if anyone is still here, what do you guys do for exercise?