Going over Calories and Carbs

Options
Hello I have just started using MFP a couple of weeks ago and have a few questions. I am just under 5"7 and weight 155. I am wanting to get down to between 130-135 so need to loose about 20 to 25 lbs. I had previously weighed 117 but was a little on the thin side so I want to be more in between. I don't feel like I am big until I try on clothes. I have a pretty flat stomach and good upper body but feel my legs and butt are huge. For example I know people that weigh more than me or the same size and can fit into a pair of Miss me jeans and I cant :( To loose the weight I want MFP is saying to stay at 1200 calories a day and 165 carbs. I am having an issue staying at those numbers. I am eating it seems about 1300 to 1350 calories a day and my carbs are going to around 250. I don't feel I am overeating and feel hungry at times. I have never ate a lot of sweets and have maintained my current weight for the last 5 years without gaining. I am a vegetarian so this does make things a bit more complicating but I don't feel I eat bad. Is going 100-150 calories over really bad? Same with the carbs? Any tips on bringing down them down. Like I said I don't eat a lot as is and sometimes still feel hungry :(

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I think the first thing you should do is set your weight loss goal from 2 pounds a week to .5 or 1 pound loss a week. This way, you can eat the higher calories without feeling guilty. At .5 a pound a week, MFP will probably set you at the 1300-1400 a day before exercise.

If you are using MFP's default setup, you need to eat the calories you burn exercising.

If you want a more tailored approach to your own personal needs, go here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • rumplesnat
    Options
    My suggestion for cutting carbs is to eliminate the white stuff...rice, bread, crackers, etc. Also, if you go over calories, make up for it in exercise!
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Hello I have just started using MFP a couple of weeks ago and have a few questions. I am just under 5"7 and weight 155. I am wanting to get down to between 130-135 so need to loose about 20 to 25 lbs. I had previously weighed 117 but was a little on the thin side so I want to be more in between. I don't feel like I am big until I try on clothes. I have a pretty flat stomach and good upper body but feel my legs and butt are huge. For example I know people that weigh more than me or the same size and can fit into a pair of Miss me jeans and I cant :( To loose the weight I want MFP is saying to stay at 1200 calories a day and 165 carbs. I am having an issue staying at those numbers. I am eating it seems about 1300 to 1350 calories a day and my carbs are going to around 250. I don't feel I am overeating and feel hungry at times. I have never ate a lot of sweets and have maintained my current weight for the last 5 years without gaining. I am a vegetarian so this does make things a bit more complicating but I don't feel I eat bad. Is going 100-150 calories over really bad? Same with the carbs? Any tips on bringing down them down. Like I said I don't eat a lot as is and sometimes still feel hungry :(

no, it's not bad. 100-150 calories over per day is only about 1 lb per month. you're not gaining that pound, you're just not losing that extra pound that you would at 1200 calories. it's not a big deal at all, especially if the extra 100-150 calories helps keep you full.

just make sure you completely understand your BMR/TDEE. 1200 calories seems a bit low to me for somebody with your stats. it's always best to understand how MFP calculates these numbers for you so you can see if they make sense or not in your situation
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    no
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I think the first thing you should do is set your weight loss goal from 2 pounds a week to .5 or 1 pound loss a week. This way, you can eat the higher calories without feeling guilty. At .5 a pound a week, MFP will probably set you at the 1300-1400 a day before exercise.

If you are using MFP's default setup, you need to eat the calories you burn exercising.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I second this post.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

all of this. all of it. every, last, syllable.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Active37
    Active37 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am going to look into more on how the MFP works. I know I had put in wanting to loose 2 a week but it says under goals projected weight loss is at 1.2 a week.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    I am going to look into more on how the MFP works. I know I had put in wanting to loose 2 a week but it says under goals projected weight loss is at 1.2 a week.

This happens all too often.
    1. Person joins MFP.
    2. "I wanna lose 2lbs a week"
    3. MFP says "1200 calories"
    4. Person eats under 1200 calories.
    5. No weight loss.

So now comes the science.

You need to figure out your BMR and TDEE. Your BMR is what you would be fed in a hospital, if you were in a coma, in order to just maintain essential body functions. If you're eating below that, you aren't doing yourself any favors.

When the engine in your car is out of gas, the engine stops. Calories are your gasoline. If you want your body to work efficiently, you have to remain fueled up, right?

So, your TDEE is how many calories you're burning daily. If you eat at your TDEE, you don't lose, you don't gain. Miracle maintenance numbers.

Eating at a deficit of your TDEE is recommended. I shoot for 20% less than TDEE.

So, here's your chance to figure out these numbers... update your goals here... eat more... and start losing again while not starving. Your energy level will go up.. and you'll appreciate the little things. Like, for me, my stache grew out and was super shiny.

No, for real. It was.
  • Active37
    Options
    Thank you for the advice. I have never attempted to loose weight before so this is all new to me. Will probably take me a while to know everything I need to in order to do this properly
  • Active37
    Options
    What is the best way to calculate your BMR? I used a calculator online and it is saying mine is 1503.15. Does that sound correct?
  • trogalicious
    Options
    What is the best way to calculate your BMR? I used a calculator online and it is saying mine is 1503.15. Does that sound correct?
    Go to this thread and just follow the instructions. It'll walk you through exactly what to do:

• suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    If you go for about 1400 calories and spend about 250g of that on carbs (1000 calories) you have only 400 calories left for protein and fat. I would try and get at least 100g protein, about 40g fat and the rest on carbs.
  • TerriAnne53
    TerriAnne53 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    My suggestion for cutting carbs is to eliminate the white stuff...rice, bread, crackers, etc. Also, if you go over calories, make up for it in exercise!

I totally agree with the above.