treadmill calories

rkascak
rkascak Posts: 224 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
So i just got back from the gym. I was on the treadmill for 30 minutes going at a speed of 4 mph and at a grade of 7%. The calorie counter said that i burned 812 calories!!! That seems like an awful lot. but I did feel that my heart rate was up for the whole workout. Im afraid to put this many calories burned for the day because I dont want to over eat.....

Replies

• neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    that does seem like an awful lot, i burn only 500 at a 5-6mph pace for an hour....
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    An 8% grade is pretty intense, though. I always burn a ton more calories when I am on an incline. Good for you! I don't think I could hold out that long.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    According to my elliptical calorie calculator, I burn about 550 in 45 minutes. I just take into account that it might not be completely accurate, so I'll only eat half to 3/4 of the calories back for that. I don't want to eat too much in case that's a high estimate. This way you're not undereating, but you have a cushion.
  • kellykat
    kellykat Posts: 180 Member
    Treadmill tells me I burn 370 calories, 50 minutes 4.0 speed, 2.0 incline.
  • dbg1
    dbg1 Posts: 208
    Its as accurate as the formulae can be. I would include it. The incline makes a huge difference.

Way to go!:drinker:

I work out 70 minutes a day and burn over 1000 calories according to MFP (circuit training) and the cardio machines. Since January this year I've dropped 20 lbs.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    For 30 min at your weight (65.4 kg), your calorie burn --if you didn't hold on to the handrails, is about 260-270 Calories at that workload.

Are you sure you input the weight correctly? You might get that amount of calorie burn if you input 440 pounds by mistake.

Calorie formulae for treadmill walking and running are pretty simple--even the cheapo treadmills can usually get pretty close.

The estimated intensity for that workload is about 8 METS. You weight 65.4 kg. That works out to about 523 Cal/hour, or 261.5 for 30 minutes.
  • sunshinestate
    sunshinestate Posts: 110 Member
    Not to burst your bubble, but I really don't think that's accurate. I typically do 10% incline at about 3.5 for 30 minutes and I burn around 250 - 300. I weigh 150 though. The best way to know for sure is to get a good heart rate monitor. The calorie counters on machines are notorious for being inaccurate.
This discussion has been closed.