cardio after a fast - how soon do I need to eat?

HonestOmnivore
HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm sure this has been asked before - but I wasn't able to find my answer!

I currently do between 35 and 45 minutes of aerobic exercise first thing in the morning. I'm planning on adding swimming to this a few days a week. The reason I do the aerobic first thing is mostly convenience! Here's my current then future schedule.

CURRENT:
5:15 Get up and dressed
5:25 take BP (I track that) and drink water
5:30 - 6:15 Elliptical Machine (use HRM to determine effort level)
6:15- 6:30 Stretch and crunches/ push ups depending on the day of the week
6:30 - 7:00 Shower and Dress for work
7:30-8:00 Breakfast check MFP and email

PROPOSED:
5:00 Get up and dressed
5:10 take BP and drink water
5:15 - 6:00 Elliptical Machine
6:00 - 6:15 Stretching and crunches/push-ups
6:15 - 6:30 breakfast
6:45-7:15 Swim (at nearby rec center) Swim and walk laps until I can swim for 30 minutes)
7:30-8:00 shower and dress for work

Question - in my current schedule, am I waiting too long to eat? I'm still a good 50 lbs overweight so there is PLENTY of fuel stored on-board!!! My usual breakfast is either low-fat cottage cheese with fruit or low-fat Greek yogurt with fiber cereal. I don't like to eat before the elliptical because I push myself (using my HRM) and if I eat first I have to fight the urge to vomit when my intensity goes up.

I'm guessing I'll need to eat before I swim (eat a little something - usual portion is 1/2 cup of dairy with 1/3 cup fruit or 1/2 cup cereal).

I live close to the fitness center and I think I can eat and change into my swim suit before I leave the house - and be in the pool within 30 minutes total. I'm planning on using the kick board and other flotation devices while I work back into my swim form... Two days a week I'd like to take a Spinning class that starts at 6:30 so I'd probably do less elliptical on those mornings to back up my schedule. I can't get up earlier than 5:00 if I want to (and I DO) get in at least 7 hours of sleep.

Replies

• HonestOmnivore
    bump :)
  • HonestOmnivore
    bump?
  • milesje
    milesje Posts: 40 Member
    If you are waiting too long to eat really depends on the rest of your meals. If you are only eating three meals a day then no you are NOT waiting too long, on the other hand if you are eating 5-6 smaller meals then you may be close to waiting too late but that would be determined by when you eat your other meals. It would be best to eat 5-6 smaller meals during the day because it will keep your matabolism at a higher rate.
  • HonestOmnivore
    Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.