Off the topic- ear problems

Options
ka_42
ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
This is totally off the subject but I have been searching the internet for an answer to this problem with no luck. I'm having some strange ear pain. I wouldn't really call it pain, it's a mild discomfort. It feels as if there is warm water inside my left ear and I'm having some dullness in the right ear as well. The feeling intensifies if I take a drink of water or anything cold, I immediately get a warm sensation in my ear. It's a very peculiar feeling. I've never had ear problems before but from what I can tell it's something different than a typical ear ache. For some time today it felt muffled like my ears were popping but I haven't had trouble hearing. This has been going on for a couple days and seems to be getting worse. All I could find on the internet were people with dizziness problems like vertigo. Is that what this is? I thought that only occurred with older people and I don't feel dizzy.

Thanks for any advise you might have!!!!!! :smile:

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    It could be allergies, a sinus infection, an ear infection...
  • ka_42
    Options
    Thanks Arielle, I guess I should go to a Dr. I just don't know if it's going to just go away or if it's a big enough deal to go to a Dr. It's a very bizarre feeling.

Thanks MFPals!
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    If it's bothering you pick up a Netty pot or squirt bottle (made for sinus rinse) and flush your sinuses with warm saline. You could have some plugging at the base of your ear tubes and the cold beverages could irritate it? I had a horrible sinus infection the first time I broke down and used a saline rinse for my sinuses - for all I had dreaded it, the rinse was a fabulous experience!

Good luck!
  • ka_42
    Options
    Thanks for the advise. I've heard of Netty pots but they kind of freak me out! Trying it will probably be in my near future. I don't remember ever having an ear infection so I just don't know what to think!

I also use ear buds/headphones A LOT! Nearly 9 hours a day (all day at work and while at the gym) It's crossed my mind this couldn't be good for my ears but I'm the only one who uses them so I doubted the possibility of infection.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have fluid trapped around your eustachian tubes. I would definitely talk to your doctor - but in the meantime - Tylenol might help to reduce any swelling in your ear which could help it to drain. You can also put a little bit of olive oil in your ear to give it some relief.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advise. I've heard of Netty pots but they kind of freak me out! Trying it will probably be in my near future. I don't remember ever having an ear infection so I just don't know what to think!

I also use ear buds/headphones A LOT! Nearly 9 hours a day (all day at work and while at the gym) It's crossed my mind this couldn't be good for my ears but I'm the only one who uses them so I doubted the possibility of infection.

Neti pots are awesome! I don't suggest the squirt bottle version - people have complained about the pressure. Don't be afraid! It's really easy to use and can be VERY soothing to irritated sinuses. They're also good for people with allergies. You can get one at Walgreen's for like $13. If you do get one, don't use tap water, use filtered. The extra ions in tap water aren't good for your sinus passages. Also, I prefer the solutions that have just salt in them (NON- iodized! you can make it yourself its about 1/4tsp salt in 1cup filtered water), some companies add baking soda (sodium bicarbonate).

I vote you have some sort of drainage thing going on. A bunch of people at work, my bf & I, we all have sinus issues right now. For a few days my ears were feeling funny too. The best thing would probably be to call your doctor just to make sure it isn't some other ear issue.
  • ka_42
    Options
    Thanks so much Tropicalkitty. Great advise, as always! I came across some sinus meds last night and took them before bed and I'm already feeling better. I think I just got a little scared because I use headphones so much I thought I had done something to my ears. I'm pretty convinced now it's just sinuses. :ohwell: If it comes back today I'll be buying a Neti pot!