average calf size

Options
No matter if I'm overweight or where I should be I feel my calves are way too small for my body. I currently weigh 175 lbs and my calves measure 12". I have no idea but is this small or about average.

Replies

• brtrentgl
    brtrentgl Posts: 130
    Options
    Seems small to me since mine are about 18" and about your weight.
  • sbailey27
    Options
    Seems small to me since mine are about 18" and about your weight.
    can we trade lol.
  • agbaeb
    agbaeb Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    LOL

Your calves are TOO SMALL? Do a little research and feel blessed. Some of us (like myself) would die to lose inches off our calves. I'm 115-120 lbs with 14" calves. Mine look HUGE!

It comes down to appreciating our bodies as we were created. :)

The grass always looks greener....
    but it still has to be mowed.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Mine are 14", but I'm female so I'm probably not a good comparison.

Everyone is different. Strength training and eating right can help bulk up your calves if that is what you want.
  • astepbysteph
    astepbysteph Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Mine are 17" but I feel like they are huge.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    er... now I feel like a freak with 19" calves. I still have a ways to go though weight-wise.
  • sbailey27
    Options
    LOL

Your calves are TOO SMALL? Do a little research and feel blessed. Some of us (like myself) would die to lose inches off our calves. I'm 115-120 lbs with 14" calves. Mine look HUGE!

lol, I think 15" would look more proportional on me
    That's my goal at least
  • brtrentgl
    brtrentgl Posts: 130
    Options
    How big are your arms? They say your calves and arms at bicep should be roughly the same.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Haha, I had to go measure mine. I'm about 164 and my calves measure 15 inches. They look normal.
  • sbailey27
    Options
    How big are your arms? They say your calves and arms at bicep should be roughly the same.
    11.25" so pretty close
  • mgloreth
    Options
    That is pretty small. I thought my calves were small at 12" but I weigh 122 working on getting to 140.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Mine are 14.5 inches. And idt they're huge at all. I'd say you're probably on the pretty small end of the spectrum for males.

PS. Saw your other post where your doc told you your goal weight should be 140. Sounds low to me. I bet you'd be a hot and happy camper at a more muscular 175. Do you lift? I'd start, if I were you.

PPS. 140 is actually underweight for your height on the first couple height/weight recommendation charts I looked at. Even for a small build.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Mine are 15.25"...
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    No matter if I'm overweight or where I should be I feel my calves are way too small for my body. I currently weigh 175 lbs and my calves measure 12". I have no idea but is this small or about average.

my calves are also 12". they are tiny! i don't think they get any bigger at a higher weight either.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    LOL

14" calves sound normal to me. i wish i had 14" calves. i have big thighs to go with my 12" calves, so my legs look out of proportion.
  • sbailey27
    Options
    Mine are 14.5 inches. And idt they're huge at all. I'd say you're probably on the pretty small end of the spectrum for males.

PS. Saw your other post where your doc told you your goal weight should be 140. Sounds low to me. I bet you'd be a hot and happy camper at a more muscular 175. Do you lift? I'd start, if I were you.

PPS. 140 is actually underweight for your height on the first couple height/weight recommendation charts I looked at. Even for a small build.
    I do mostly cardio and body weight exercises. That weight does seem low, really don't want the skinny look. I could deal with my current weight but more buff lol
  • cholderer
    cholderer Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    13.5" are the size of my calves. I think mine are proportional to my size and I like how muscular they are. Muscular calves are a must for me. When I can't contract them and see muscle, then I know I have to work out more.
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    15.5 and I wish they were bigger but I refuse to do calf specific exercise
  • sbailey27
    Options
    LOL

same here my bigger thighs don't match my calves

14" calves sound normal to me. i wish i had 14" calves. i have big thighs to go with my 12" calves, so my legs look out of proportion.