Help! Low blood sugar and dieting?!

Options
I'm back and trying to lose some weight again but afraid because my sugar's been dropping a LOT lately :frown: I'm afraid to start dieting bc of this! Would like to know your thoughts on this pls. Thanks! :wink: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Keep your protein intake up. Make sure you don't workout on an empty stomach. Give your body calories when it asks for them, even if you're already over your calories for the day. I've had some experience with this.
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I'm not a scientist or a doctor, but I think I've read studies that show paleo style diets are good for stabilizing blood sugar (since protein, fat, and vegetables don't cause blood sugar to spike the way sugar and grains do). I don't have issues with blood sugar, but I know my body looks a lot better since I began eating this way. It might be something to consider!
  • Hitman224
    Options
    Are you Type 1 or Type 2?
    What are you taking for your Diabetes?
    Bring your doctor into the loop on the fact that you are about to alter your Diet and Exercise.
    After 3 weeks, I have had 1 med eliminated (Diamicron 30mg) and will soon be backing off my Metformin 500mg x 4

Check your Blood Sugar often. I was checking about 6x day, and if I dipped below 4.0 I drank some OJ :)
    Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions :)
  • aross001
    aross001 Posts: 237
    Options
    If you're diabetic, I'd chat with your doc before too long. If you mean that you simply FEEL as though your blood sugar is low, I can imagine that perhaps you are experiencing light headedness or weakness. If that's the case, perhaps you can intake just a bit more calories?
  • Canderson58054
    Canderson58054 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you are diabetic or not as you didn't say. I have type 1 Diabetes and before I exercise I have to eat a fairly large carb meal without taking any insulin and I can still only work out for about 30-45 mins otherwise I'm already low. Even though my progess might be slower than others, I find comfort in knowing I am bettering my health and my body. Every little bit DOES help.
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic (Type 2 but now insuling dependent) and have been having lows as I have dieted. First, discuss with your doctor (endocrinologist, if you have one) or diabetic nurse practitioner. They will be thrilled that you are losing weight!.

I have been testing often (fortunately I am very symptomatic when my sugar gets low so I never really have problems I can't treat myself) and snacking and treating when needed. Most importantly I have been working to avoid having to "feed my insulin" by gradually reducing the dosage. So far I have gone from 52 units to 20 units per day. This is being done with my doctor's approval and is the only realistic way of staying in control of things.

Good luck.
  • iraidatheseeker
    Options
    I'm sorry you guys I guess I should've mentioned I'm not diabetic but Hypoglycemia is an issue! :frown:
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor and get an appointment with a dietitian who can help you setup an eating plan that will work for your situation.

Good luck to you!
  • Hitman224
    Options
    If you are not Diabetic, Hypoglycemia is rarely an issue. You would have to take things to the extreme.
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have very sensitive blood sugar too, and if I'm doing anything more than sleeping, I start to get shakey and dizzy if I go more than about 3 hours without eating. So I keep my meals small, and lots of snacks.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I am a T2 diabetic and I work closely with my Dr. Sometimes you can avoid the lows by changing a snack time or removing part of a meal and eating it at critical times. I have a natural low in the late afternoon so I have a snack right before I leave work to ensure I don't drop during the drive home.

If I a consistently low I drop one of my meds. This is something I have worked out with my Dr. in advance. I take Basel and Bolus insulin and these are usually the first to go.

You can diet succesfully with the help of your Doc or endo. If they don't work with you like this then you need to find a Dr. that works with you. You know your self better than anyone else.

Just saw your post and would say number one would still work Get a meter, Wal Mart is cheapest for strips and check and make sure you are really getting low blood sugar.
  • HayleeWho1122
    HayleeWho1122 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    This made me nervous, too! Im hypoglycemic and will get really dizzy and feel like im going to pass out if I dont eat the right stuff. Eat LOTS of protein. Premier Protein shakes are great for on the run diet meals! They have 30 grams of protein and 160 calories
  • mickiebabs
    mickiebabs Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I'm not diabetic, according to the doctors, but have been extremely sensitive to changes in my blood sugar since I had gestational with my youngest 6 years ago. I monitor my blood sugar daily. Typically 3 times a day but if I'm feeling off, I'll do another check. I make sure to keep my protein intake up and I try not to go over my carb goal. I do keep some glucose tablets on hand just in case I haven't been as careful as I should be, like today's flu not helping my sugar levels. I also keep some glucerna mini snack bars. They're about 90 calories. When I first start feeling off, I'll eat one. It's usually enough to get me straightened back out again. I reserve the tablets for days like today when nothing else is going to work.
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Stay off unrefined carbs and make sure that all your carbs are high fibre. If your blood sugar is yo-yo ing, you need to get it checked. You may be insulin resistant.
    You shouldnt really have problems if you follow a balanced diet and dont fast. Plenty ot wholegrain bread, pasta and rice will filter sugars into your blood slowly and keep the sugars level. Unrefined carbs will spike your blood sugar which will then drop like a stone if you exercise.
    Im sure you will get lots of help from other friends here.
  • LeahRandom
    LeahRandom Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Definitely check with a doctor/nutritionist if you can. You can totally diet successfully! I've had problems with low blood sugar for years - and I know it's not just being hungry. For me, can be 2-4 hours after eating, it's shakes, blurred vision, weakness in arms and legs, difficulty speaking, irritability/anger due to difficulty comprehending pretty much anything, suddenly cold/hot and sweats, light headed and I have fainted. Multiple doctors have told me just to make sure I eat enough. It's rare now that I have an episode.
    Things I live by, that help keep me even:
    I eat in bed before I do anything - a cup of nonfat plain yogurt. This is a great stabilizer throughout the day too, even a 1/4 cup.
    Raw apples or applesauce are very helpful too, and can work as that pre-morning meal.
    Apples with nonfat yogurt, nonfat greek yogurt, or peanut butter.
    Make sure I get enough protein, much from vegetable sources too. I am over on protein often, but am still losing weight.
    Carry Kind or Pure brand bars in my purse and car for emergencies.
    Honestly, it took me a year and many brands to be able to eat the plain yogurt, but I actually like it now.
    You'll find something that works for you.
    Good luck! You can do it!
  • binknbaby
    binknbaby Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I also have hypoglycemia thanks to hypothyroid issues. Most blood draws average about 60-70 on NON-fasting, after a big meal. It's a struggle to not eat a ton of sugar/carbs when my body is seriously craving it. I try to eat some protein when that happens. I've just ordered some hemp seed protein (on Amazon at $22 for 3lb), and I'm hoping that will help. I'm planning to blend that into quality yogurt (along with some spices and a tiny smidge of raw honey or pure maple syrup for taste) and hopefully that will help.

But I agree with posters above--more protein!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I'm back and trying to lose some weight again but afraid because my sugar's been dropping a LOT lately :frown: I'm afraid to start dieting bc of this! Would like to know your thoughts on this pls. Thanks! :wink: :flowerforyou:

Very low glycaemic index carbs only (low sugar fruits, non starchy vegetables, beans, lentils, barley) and modest servings of the last three, eat little and often, protein and healthy fats at every meal and snack.

If you are keeping a food diary at present work out what your triggers are - are you getting stressed, over exercising, undereating, skipping meals, too large servings of starches, eating processed wheat, rice, corn, white potatoes or sugar?