Late night food logged today or tomorrow?

Options
Just wondering what everyone does when eating after midnight. I know it's Sunday now, but if I haven't slept yet, it seems like I would log it as food for Saturday. It probably doesn't matter in the grand scheme; just curious what other people when eating after midnight.

I guess my title should have been "yesterday or today" ;)

Replies

• onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I log as that day until i go to bed. So it's still "Saturday" for me...
  • MsLilly200
    MsLilly200 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    If it's before 4am I log it as the previous day.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    depends if its midnight or not..
  • emmalousmom1
    emmalousmom1 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I work nights alot so my day starts at Midnight, so anything after midnight is the new day:)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing, but it really doesn't matter. It's not like your body resets at midnight, calculates what you've taken in and decides whether you gained or lost for the day. Do it whichever way works for you.
  • AphelionPDX
    Options
    I log until I fall asleep. If I wake up in the middle of the night and eat something, I log it as breakfast.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I work night shifts every other month so I have to go by the physical day. I changed my meal catagories to times and if it happens at 1202am then I consider it the next day and 1159pm that same day.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    but honestly it doesnt matter what hour you choose to star your "day" it just matters that you are consistant. Otherwise you will bend your times to feed cravings.
  • Bobanji
    Bobanji Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I was just about to post the same exact question. I work 2 days and then 2 nights a week doing a 7pm-7am shift. I don't even get lunch break till around 1am or even 3am sometimes. I've been logging it same day. I figure my new day doesn't actually start until I go to sleep and wake up again. This way i can also keep track of what I'm eating for breakfast, lunch and dinner. People find it funny that I eat oatmeal at 4 or 5 in afternoon but it keeps me on track on night shifts.
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Same for me.

When I worked night shift it was the same. If I woke up at 5pm on Sunday, I'd track all that food as SUNDAY even until I went to bed at 10am on Monday.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I pre-log these days, being that my sleep schedule is so wacky. My day ends when I go to bed, be it at night or morning.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    My first "meal" of the day in my food diary is labeled "Last Night's Midnight Snacks"

Unless I had the extra calories the day of the late night snack attack (in which case, i'm claiming it!), most after-dinner noshes end up recorded next day.

It works for me, and I have an easier time budgeting my calories and not beating myself up over late night decisions this way, for some weird psychological reason.
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    My day ends when I go to bed, even if it's after midnight. I feel like logging things on the next day can set you up to overeat if you want a late night snack (by saying, "Well, I can just log it for tomorrow, and I'll eat less tomorrow...") I tend to be hungriest at night and I stay up late so I always save calories for a snack. On weekends that snack is usually after midnight.
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    Options
    It depends on what my "calorie chart shows". If I have already maxed it out and it's close to midnight when I eat then I log mine is as the next day so I don't show an over eat for the day. That way, I can make up for it the next day and hopefully eat less or workout more so it balances. It's like a second chance to make up for a late night no-no.
  • silversociety
    silversociety Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Depends if it'll put me over my calorie count for the night before... heh
  • sblake204
    sblake204 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    i used to get confused on this as well, but lately anything consummed afer midnight i log it for that following day. Feel like "technically" its a new day and i don't want those cals added on to the previous day's intake.
    Its totally a personal preference and up to u. Complete it how u like at your own discrection.
  • taekwonkenpo
    taekwonkenpo Posts: 1,004
    Options
    half cookie at 11:59 is logged on that day. The other half is eaten at 12:00 then that is the next day. For me anyway. :bigsmile:
  • joannehutchinson
    joannehutchinson Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I work nights and this was an issue for me too. I finally decided to log all food after midnight as the next day and anything before midnight the current day. it was to confusing to try to keep up with otherwise.
  • SmileyFaceGuy
    Options
    Keeping everything logged on the same day before you go to sleep makes things much, much easier.
  • louiselebeau
    louiselebeau Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    My settings break down my meals into times instead of breakfast lunch dinner and snacks.