How can you lose serious weight and still eat?

Options
I am referring to morbid obesity not just a little weight.

At the moment it seems like everything I eat has the opposite affect on weight loss :(

Replies

• Kirijyma
    Options
    It depends on what and how many calories you're eating, always remember to eat less calories than you burn as a baseline.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    ^ this, but also remember to not consistently eat below your BMR
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    It depends on what and how many calories you're eating, always remember to eat less calories than you burn as a baseline.
    I'm just going to expand on this because some individuals misinterpret things. It means consume less energy in the form of calories than your TDEE.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    You do it by figuring out your TDEE and making an appropriate calorie cut from that, and doing what you can to be more active.

But, I know I have not shared your experience with morbid obesity, so my voice isn't the best for you to hear this message from, so mostly I am just bumping your thread to get some of my friends who have walked in your shoes to see it so you can hear it from them. Good luck to you.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    check out this link....it's a group on this site that has a lot of info to read and it may help you http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Do you track your food currently?
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    On top of what everyone else has mentioned, the more you have to lose, the longer it takes. You never, ever, give up. No matter how much you have to lose or how slow it goes, never give up.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Make sure you track EVERYTHING you eat. Every little thing counts. Weigh all things. Eat between your BMR & TDEE, it should come off if you're doing these things. Are you taking measurements? You could be losing inches & not weight. That happens for some people some times. And like the person above said, never give up. You will figure this out.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    To start out with you can follow the MFP guidelines and lose weight, track what you eat accurately and consistently.

Exercise consistently.

Once you've started losing weight, you can refine your figures using the links the others have provided.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Really the more weight you have to lose the easier it is. I've lost 33 kg since July last year, my BMI has gone from 45.2 (morbidly obese) to 34.5 (Obese Class 1).

I still eat lots. I have been using the MFP settings to lose 2 lbs per week and started out with calories I think just above 2000, currently I'm down to 1600 something plus since I've taken up exercise I get to eat those back. So yes, you lose lots of weight while still eating.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

At the moment it seems like everything I eat has the opposite affect on weight loss :(

If you are tracking what you eat open up your food diary so others can see & maybe advise on choices / alternatives

One important point is weighing / measuring food quantity accurately, not just eyeballing it
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    TDEE-20%
    I've been eating and eating and eating (making healthy decisions, not big macs!) and I still manage to lose. The only thing that makes me gain is too much sodium/not enough water and alcohol.
    I eat 1500-1800 cals a day and I'm never hungry.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    calorie counting and eating at a modest deficit
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    What exactly is "everything" that you eat...? Weight loss is 80% diet. Figure out your TDEE and -20%.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    As someone who has lost 150lbs, I can tell you that it is possible. It does (like everything) basic calories in vs calories out.

Calculate your TDEE
    Eat an amount with a modest deficit to this
    Log your food and stay within it religiously
    (Eat nutritionally rich foods and try and cut down the foods with high sodium, sat fats or 'empty cals' ie alcohol)
    Try work in a little exercise every day, even if its just walking and building yourself out
    While it doesn't matter what time or how many meals you have a day (as long as you're in your calorie range) I found eating 3 meals a day and breakfast gave me a more structured way of eating and stopped me binging in the evenings
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Why not open your diary for all of us to see?
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

When you are morbidly obese, its easier to lose weight simply because your body uses so many calories just being obese. You add in any exercise program and reduce your calories and you're going to lose weight.

IF you aren't losing weight and "trying" to as a morbidly obese person, you are terrible at counting calories or sleep eating tubs of Ben & Jerrys at night.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Patience.
  • rougecrayon
    Options
    When I eat veggies I can eat a ridiculous amount of food before hitting my max calories!
    Set your goals with MFP, track your calories and eat whole foods!
    The best way to lose the weight is to get healthy! The best way to get healthy is to learn as much about fitness and nutrition as you can, and maybe get a personal trainer or someone else to motivate you.