Want to burn more calories

Options
I burn approx 400-500 calories in a hour. I only have about an hour of workout time in a day due to Mommy and teacher duties. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can burn more in that hour time period? I usually use the Arc Trainer, but not opposed to other machines, and the classes offered don't fit my schedule.

Replies

• Jaymefirst
    Jaymefirst Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    First, love your name ;) Second, have you thought about adding in strength training? I have found adding weights to my regular routine is helping me with cardio and increasing my calories burned. Also, what about running? I transitioned from an Arc sometimes elliptical to running. I can burn between 600-800 cal when I run for a full hour. That also depends on a lot of other factors.
    Good luck! I understand trying to find a balance between kiddos and teaching (in my last semester of my ED program, its becoming real very quickly). You'll get there, celebrate that your getting your workouts in and working toward your fitness goals.

Jayme ;)
  • KayteeB07
    KayteeB07 Posts: 341
    Options
    I completely understand your dilemma haha mummy duties make it a nightmare to fit in enough exercise! I've found circuit training is the best really pumps up the heartbeat x
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    get a jump rope. probably one of the most efficient ways you can burn calories. also get a heart rate monitor to track your calories.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    You will not burn more calories, but at 54 years old, this has made some awesome differences in the shape of my body for the MUCH better. 40 - 45 minutes 3 x a week = lifting heavy.

I cut out almost all my cardio except 1 - 2 x a week and lift heavy using Stronglifts 5X5. Google it. You will amaze yourself - 100x better than just cardio. Good luck - you sound really busy!
  • New_Jayme
    Options
    Love your name too! Lol I usually do strength training separately. Would doing 30 min cardio & 30 min strength be more beneficial?
  • New_Jayme
    Options
    First off, you do not look 54 at all...awesome. Thanks, i'll look that up.
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    What does your weekly routine look like?
  • beachlover317
    Options
    Thanks - good family genes. I am down to a little cardio on my off days, but a lot of lifters I know do both on the same day. 5X5 ususally takes about 45 minutes, but you could do some cardio after to finish up. Most of my lifting mentors don't recommend doing it before because they would rather give out on their feet than with 100 pounds over their heads! LOL
  • Jaymefirst
    Jaymefirst Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Love your name too! Lol I usually do strength training separately. Would doing 30 min cardio & 30 min strength be more beneficial?

I usually don't do them on the same day, but if time is the issue I would strength train first, then cardio.
  • New_Jayme
    Options
    What does your weekly routine look like?

Mon - All strength training, mostly upper body...arms, back, abs
    Tues & Thurs- 45 min cardio (arc trainer), 15 min abduction/adduction machine
    Wed - 30 min cardio (arc trainer), 15 min abduction/adduction machine
    Sat- swim 1/2 a mile

This is what its been like the past 2 weeks
  • beachlover317
    Options
    If you choose to start Stronglifts, the benefit to this plan is that it is comprised of compound lifts and works all the muscles over 3 days a week. You absolutely feel the lifts in your whole body. It's awesome.
  • New_Jayme
    Options
    Thanks - good family genes. I am down to a little cardio on my off days, but a lot of lifters I know do both on the same day. 5X5 ususally takes about 45 minutes, but you could do some cardio after to finish up. Most of my lifting mentors don't recommend doing it before because they would rather give out on their feet than with 100 pounds over their heads! LOL

Lol i'm sure they would
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Personally I would change one of your cardio days to a strength day, and then on cardio days to max out your calorie burn I would try intervals.

You can use any cardio machine that you enjoy and do say 1 min as fast and hard as you possibly can, then do 2 mins at a slower rate to recover. Then repeat. I like doing this on the treadmill (you can add in hills as well as speed), or using a kettlebell (1 min of swings followed by 1 min rest).

That said your burn is already good!