Do you reward yourself?

Options
I was wondering if you reward yourself for doing well? Now im talking non-food rewards to pat yourself on the back. If so what and how do you do this? I ask this because as a society we have learned to celebrate everything with food. Birthdays, Anniversarys, graduations, weddings, job promotions, holidays, etc. Everything is celebrated with food. Its time to break that cycle and let the joy of the occasion be the main focus.

I had lost weight in the past and each small step in the right direction, I rewarded myself with something small. I kept that weight off until a year ago when life hit me hard and it crept back on. So im back at it and time to give myself a reward for sticking with it and trying to eat right and exercise.

Below are a few suggestions for rewards that you might think about and what im hoping to do this time around.

Suggestions:

Buy a small plant to set on the kitchen window
Have your nails done
Have a pedicure
Buy some new workout shoes (for the new fitness person in you)
New Cooking gadgets (for the new healthier you)
Buy a CD you have wanted for a while
Home workout equipment or new workout DVD
Get a massage

So far this is what I have done and what im going to do at my next goal.

5lbs - Get heavier handweights or new kettlebell (bought myself a 10lb kettlebell yesterday)
10lbs - Get my nails done
When I can do 30 minutes on the elliptical without stopping - have to come up with something good

The idea is to treat yourself special. You are special and you are worth the effort it takes to put into this jouney. Men will have different ideas than women so I would love to see what thoughts each has. The rewards do not have to be for scale victories but can be for NSV's as well

Replies

• Chloejrobertson
    Options
    Oh my gosh! Your idea is now robbed haha! I love it!

Other reward ideas

Getting eyebrows done
    Buying jewellery
    New handbag
    New DVD
    Magazines

This is a brilliant idea and I will use it if you are alright with that!

Chloe xx
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    when i get to my goal, i'm going to drink a pepsi. that's my only reward.
  • HollyHobbitToes
    HollyHobbitToes Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    In the past when I've lost weight I rewarded myself with clothing or a new hair cut or something else that was beauty oriented....but at present time I can't really afford to do that....have a family now that generally uses up my resources, but I reward myself with food as well, but not unhealthy food...I reward myself with an expensive organic product I want to try usually....
  • JamesChargerWolf
    JamesChargerWolf Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have toyed with the idea of a reward. I was trying to come up with something good like, "pay myself $1 for each workout." So, I'd put the dollar in the jar each time and when I reached a goal I'd get to spend the money in the jar. That would also show me how hard I worked to get to where I am. Something like that.

But I like your idea of getting a small thing. I might get myself a charm for my Pandora-esqe bracelet. Good idea! But a pedicure is sounding mighty nice too.

So, my additions to "Deladypilot's Cool Rewards" list:

pay yourself $1 for each workout, spend when you reach a goal
    charm for your bracelet
    a high-quality coffee you normally don't spend money on (food-ish but not "eat chocolate cake")
    a new fish for your tank! (ok, obviously, that's just for fish-keepers.)

Thank you, dlp!
  • deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Some great ideas so far.

Chanlite Love the Pandora Charm reward. May do that at 15lbs. There a couple I have my eye on and maybe when i reach goal will get a 2nd bracelet as im running out of room
  • fara180
    fara180 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I definitely believe in rewards! I already decided what mine would be- and I have mini-rewards and big-rewards set up and ready to be won!

Lose 10 lbs- Buy new/nice tennis shoes
    Lose 20 lbs- Get eyebrows done
    Lose 30 lbs- Cute underwear
    Lose 40 lbs- New work out clothes
    Lose 50 lbs- Spa Day!

and so on!
  • JamesChargerWolf
    JamesChargerWolf Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely doing a massage at some point! Hubs bought me a gift certificate to get a massage and I haven't wanted to spend it... because I didn't want anyone to see my "30 lbs heavier than I want" body naked. I know, silly. But I didn't.

I'm SO getting that massage. Maybe when I have more muscle tone.