Weekend Issues

So, it's been a rough week and although I thought about staying in and working more, I decided to go out with friends last night, and this was after drinking on Friday night as well. I came home and decided to have some more Evan Williams honey bourbon, and I had been snacking while I was out with friends because there were snacks available. I had gotten my weight down to 128, and this morning I knew I should weigh myself after going out so much. I was 132.6, the most I've ever weighed, and although I know this is only temporary, I hate it. Anyone else have a much harder time on the weekends? What are some effective mechanisms for dealing with this? I'm thinking I should just give up drinking for a while.

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    I've had success planning ahead for going out on the weekend, and cutting my calories on the previous days. A nice Friday out for me with some beer or a burger dinner is 1000-1200 calories or so. I know that. So Monday-Thursday, I might cut the calories for those days by 200 each, or something. OR ALSO, add in some extra workouts. This means Monday-Thursday I net calories below my BMR by, maybe 100 calories each day. THAT'S NOT A GOOD IDEA FOR THE LONG TERM, however, since I KNOW that I'll be making up those calories on Friday, I'm comfortable that I'm not sabotaging my long-term progress. And then maybe Sunday I cut calories again, if I still need to to make my week's total calories still be 3,500 calories under my TDEE.

And I don't weigh myself until Tuesday.
  • tammihart
    tammihart Posts: 963 Member
    I am the same way on the weekends! We ALWAYS eat out and I rarely get exercise in. I try to make good decisions when eating out but sometimes I can't resist. I plan to exercise and something always gets me distracted and I spend the day doing something else. UUGH!!!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    I have kids, I never get to go out on the weekends. When I do I drink and eat and go nuts! its Da bomb!

You can just work it into your goals if this is a weekly thing.

Did you weigh yourself pre or post BM?
  • Seriously, this is my life.

During the week, I have work so I have an eating schedule. But on the weekends, I find it so much harder to have self control. Especially with booze - we just celebrated my friends 21st - far too scared to weigh myself!
  • Weekends are the hardest. We are snowed in at the moment, hard to resist sitting around eating warming comfort winter food!
  • I am exactly the same way on weekends because I go out for meals with my boyfriend on a Friday night and then I go clubbing with my friends on a Saturday night. I eat between 1200 - 1500 calories on week days and I have started to go back to the gym 2-3 times a week. However I find it very difficult to control myself on weekends because I am surrounded by my family and my boyfriend who eat everything and anything, and I find it difficult to say "No" because they don't do anything to support me with my weight loss goals. Whenever I try to make healthier choice's they will be like "You don't need to lose weight", especially my boyfriend. I don't like the compliments because they don't motivate me.
  • JeffTCole
    JeffTCole Posts: 140 Member
    This is one of those things that is simple but not easy.

Many of us that have to work enjoy going out, having fun and socializing. I do. You decided to do this. So if you feel guilty about a choice that is made, make a change. Try something different. Before going out, work out and/or eat something healthy or just try and eat or drink a little less. Practice. If you fall down, get back up and try again.

It has taken years for various family and friends to realize I am serious about and accept my healthy lifestyle. Their comments have changed from "you need to gain some weight, you look sick", to "You are looking good". While this is good for them, I do not need their permission to work towards a healthy lifestyle. That is my choice. I fall down all the time. But I get back up and keep going.

I try and remember " Success is not a destination, but a journey." Enjoy your journey.
  • my weekends are full of wine food and being lazy, i figure its ok its the weekend i just work extra hard during the week
  • ashleereign
    ashleereign Posts: 1,904 Member
    This is the exact reason why I changed my weigh in time to Friday morning.

I know that I will splurge more on the weekends (although I also tend to exercise more on the weekends). But I also know that Monday-Thursday I'm going to be eating regularly. So I weigh myself Friday mornings and it gives me a more accurate weight and representation of the week, than just showing water retention from sodium or snacking from alcohol intake from the weekend.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Drinking adds tons of empty calories. This leads to either snacking or just all out pigging out, either the night of, or the next day. Eliminating alcohol was the best decision I ever made. I no longer have those problems because I'm always sober and therefore always make good decisions, even when I'm out. I know not everyone wants to make that decision, but there is absolutely nothing about alcohol that is helping you.
  • dblaacker
    dblaacker Posts: 153 Member
    I weigh in on Friday mornings, too, and I usually try to go a little lighter on calories during the day before I go out, although that doesn't seem to help much. My week is very structured, and I'm on a schedule, but I typically arrange my times on the weekends according to when I wake up. I think I just need to create more structure in my life. I've decided that I'm also going to stop drinking at least for the first two full months of the semester, just to make sure I'm on top of everything. I've got too much going on in terms of class, work, and research, and I can't spend a lot of time drinking on weekends. Thanks for the feedback!
  • Deanner03
    Deanner03 Posts: 371 Member
    Weekends are tough for me, too. Not because of drinking (I rarely get to do that with kids, lol), but because when I'm working, I only bring what I have planned for food for the day. During the weekends, I'm out grocery shopping (and often having lunch out), and home where there is lots of food. It's a work in progress.
  • nicosuave2013
    nicosuave2013 Posts: 42 Member
    I struggle with this too!! I am a big drinkier, its social and i enjoy it. So far i have been off the drink for 13 days and that has helped me keep on track throughout the the last 2 weekends and im damn proud of myself. My dad owns 4 pubs, all my friends are drinkers....i defo live the pub life! BUT like some said previous...we are choosing to do this....so make the choices and stick with them. If that choice is to take a night off and eat/drink etc then make the conscious decision to do so, know the effects it will have and dont feel guilty...do it, enjoy it then move on!!!!

For me personally when i drink its a lot then i snack and then wake up with a hangover and crave grease and carbs so then eat crap all the next day so its more than just a one night off, hence why ive been trying not to. I havent had a drop in almost 2 weeks, knowing when i have one ill want more lol. Im not saying i wont ever do it but im gonna try and go as long as i can.....

LAPSE DONT COLLAPSE
  • Iceman420
    Iceman420 Posts: 195
    I have a very hard time on weekends. Two days off work and plenty of diners around.
  • mellllls
    mellllls Posts: 7 Member
    i frequently don't weight myself on weekends for that particular reason. i don't feel it's an accurate reflection of where i am. otherwise, i am mostly a daily weigher. also, i make an effort to work out on weekends. if i have all day free, then there is no excuse for me to not hit the gym. this balances the increased alcohol and calories.
  • mathildapops
    mathildapops Posts: 39 Member
    Weekends are my downfall too, after starting with good intentions & no alcohol until 6pm last night my husband fancied going out for "just a few".........5 pints of strong lager later............
    I am now so mad at myself, have spent all day laid on the sofa trying not to pig out on crisps & chocolate because I am hungover and I haven't done the exercise I said I'd do!!
    I know I only have myself to blame but I really need to get out of this weekend drinking thing!!