Weekend diet & Exercise

Options
Does anyone else find it harder to stay within calorie limits on the weekend?? Or have less motivation to workout?

Replies

• Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to do longer runs and tougher gym workouts at the weekend as I have more time. however, I also find it easier to eat a LOT more too! as long as I'm not over my calorie goal by too much, I don't worry about it.
  • lmdenn33
    Options
    I do stay within my calorie limit, I just tend to make unhealthy choices. During the week I do great tho. Ugh. Just need more self control I guess lol
  • WrightRC
    Options
    It is harder, but I find that if you stay busy and not dilly dally around the house with food, it's easier to stay on track. When I'm busy, I actually find myself way below my target because I've been too busy doing other things than to eat. And I arm myself with healthy, energizing snacks as well such as nuts or fruits. Healthy carbs. And I try to fit in a workout during the weekend so I don't feel like a slob.
  • lmdenn33
    Options
    I hear ya! I didnt workout yesterday and I felt nasty. Hitting twice as hard today!
  • NattieJoan
    Options
    I do, but I'm in less control over the meals I eat at the weekend (:
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Alcohol on the weekend is my downfall. Firstly because of the calories in the drinks, and secondly because I tend to eat all day when I'm hungover...
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I find it easier. At home, I can cook and make my meals. During the week, I might forget something, or I don't bring enough to eat and then have to go get something to eat. Also, I'm tired at night and don't want to cook. Weekends, my workouts rock, and my eating is stellar. It's time for me to retire. Work is unhealthy for me.
  • jsdholland
    jsdholland Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Harder on the weekend because I take my meals to work during the week and only eat what's in my bag....weekends I have to fight the pantry the whole time and possible social events. I definitely try to get in good workouts and not go too overboard!
  • BrownEyeAngel
    BrownEyeAngel Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I give myself 1 day a week to enjoy food and activities. I try to stay within my calorie limit but if I go over that's fine too! A FREE DAY. Then I don't feel deprived of fried foods, snacks, (Chocolate) or a cocktail.
  • lmdenn33
    Options
    I would like to do that, but I joined a Biggest Loser contest and weigh in on Tues. I would feel guilty and fear that it would sabotage all my hard work through the rest of the week.
  • Slusher82
    Slusher82 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes I do a great job week days then the weekend begins all my hard work disappear
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    every day is so different for me . there is no rhyme or reason to my daily schedules as they change on a dime .. being consistant is extremely challenging for me . i made a decision to just put the time aside and do my workouts first thing in the morning so i can get it out of the way. im not one for moving fast in the am so it oughta be interesting
  • Adelaidekempf
    Options
    I find it hard to but with more time to go for long walks, etc. I don't go over my limit. Just looking at my wardrobe gives me help stay on track. Cant wait to be able to jump into some of the clothes again.
  • LilMissDB
    LilMissDB Posts: 133
    Options
    I find it easier to do longer runs and tougher gym workouts at the weekend as I have more time. however, I also find it easier to eat a LOT more too! as long as I'm not over my calorie goal by too much, I don't worry about it.

I'm exactly the same!
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Working out yes because I wake up late and do stuff at night so it's harder to find time (or easier to make excuses) but I find it easier with the calories because I usually eat less on the weekends, cause I don't wake up in time to make breakfast (college dining hall hours) so then have lunch, and have dinner, and then have drinks. food is the same healthyness I'd say, but then I have leftover calories that I drink so idk calorie wise I'm fine
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    When you exercise and eat healthily, your body will gloss over an extra calorie heavy meal once in a while. Last night I ate a (too large) large amount of bbq pork, and more than a tiny bit of chocolate. I was so full that I half assed my work out last night. This moring when I weighed myself (on my work out day off) I was still down 1 lb.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Yes I absolutely find it harder to do both on weekends. Everyone is around demanding all kinds of food, and if you throw some excursions in there it makes a schedule hard to stick to as well.

I correct for this by using my "sensible meal" from the slim fast plan I'm on whenever we are out and eating something is part of the socializing, ie fundraiser involving food, birthday dinner, etc. IF food is not the main central part of the outing like a play date, or show for my business then I use a meal bar and or snack bar depending how long we'll be there. This morning for instance there had been a big build up in making blueberry pancakes as per a story my little one had been reading, rather than burst his bubble and not make them or not partake, I just factored them into my day as part of my real meal my plan allows.

As for exercise I schedule all my workouts with other mom's with similar schedule as me and during the week, when weekend chaos has no chance of interfering. We even got smart and omitted Monday as a possible day because of all the 3 day weekends that might interfere. So I have standing appointments for 2 workouts a week with 2 different mom's and am lining the third one up soon.

I hope any of these strategies strikes a chord with you or leads you to ideas of your own to work around difficult time while still achieving the performance level you want as far as sticking to eating plan, and exercise.

(By the way I also have a rewards system in place that allows me to spend the percentage of budget I have left at the end of the month on a Pandora charm for my "rewards" bracelet I bought when I started this journey. The amount I spend coincides with the percentage of time for that month that I stayed on plan with diet and exercise. So far this month I am about 90% accuracy...which means that if I get to Jan 31st with whatever budget I've saved up I get to use 90% of that for a charm for my Pandora bracelet. If I have 100 dollars I get a 90 dollar charm, if I have 50 I get a 40 dollar charm. If my percent of performance goes down so does my percent of what I spend on my reward/charm. This keeps me from giving up at every slip up because I'd rather get to spend 50% or even 25% of what I have at the end of the month and have a charm, than no charm at all.)
  • kat2475
    kat2475 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    The weekends are extremely tough for me. The whole family is home and we are busy which usually involves eating out more than usual. Plus my 17 year old stepson is here and usually "dwells" in the basement where my exercise equipment is.
  • KiiAttitude
    KiiAttitude Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Weekend is my weapon, i exercise like mad have enough time to cook exactly what i want, today i burned 1800 calories, in the week i just do my insanity workouts and maybe a run or xtrainer, i try as best as i can to smash it on weekends.
  • magicherry
    magicherry Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely. As others mentioned it helps to have some scheduled activities. Last Sunday I had to meet friends at 12, so I hurried to get my walk in during the morning and then shower then go out. Today, the following week, I have no plans and am still on the couch with my laptop and coffee.

(....a-a-a-a-and this discussion post is making me stop being lazy. going up to hit the treadmill right now. THANKS MFP!)