Logging bananas: By length or weight?

Options
2»

Replies

1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I do wonder though. I bought a scale because I've been horribly inaccurate. Are these foods in grams in the diaries including non-edible portions?

like the peel of an orange or a banana? or the seed/skin of an avocado? Like is this the weight of the whole fruit? Or just the section I'm eating...

Just the section you are eating.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Use digital food scale if you have one. If you don't highly recommend it. For a Fruit serving, ea fruit serving is approximately 60 cal, 15 g carb, 0 g protein, 0 g fat.

1 medium (4") banana is approx 2.4 oz and is a Fruit serving. (Just the eating portion, not the skin)

HTH
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Use digital food scale if you have one. If you don't highly recommend it. For a Fruit serving, ea fruit serving is approximately 60 cal, 15 g carb, 0 g protein, 0 g fat.

1 medium (4") banana is approx 2.4 oz and is a Fruit serving. (Just the eating portion, not the skin)

HTH

i have a digital scale :) love it
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I always peel it then weigh it in grams. :)
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    >Not sure if posting in a troll thread.

I weigh my bananas.

Do you weigh your meat though?
  • CouleeRunner
    CouleeRunner Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I eat bananas daily - log them by length and have lost 50 pounds.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    If you have a way to get the actual mass of the banana, use the mass. Length is an OK estimate, and it won't vary all that much, but mass will be more accurate.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    If you have a way to get the actual mass of the banana, use the mass. Length is an OK estimate, and it won't vary all that much, but mass will be more accurate.

Over time it all balances out. I log mine by length and try to grab the smaller ones. I also don't cut my calories for any given day down to the last calorie so if the one or two things I have to estimate are off a little it's no big deal. I've lost 92 calories with that method/attitude.