avocado shakes?

Options
jw17695
jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
I just started buying avocados and I'm not really sure how to prepare them other than guacamole. Is there maybe a drink recipe someone would like to share (or any recipe for that matter.) Thanks.

Hopefully its easy too because I am not a good cook by any means. Thanks.

Replies

• Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I like them plain... I dice them and put them in salad or slice them an put them on burgers or sandwiches. Sometimes I eat them alone as a snack.

A shake???!!!??? Not sure that sounds too yummy, but I'll be curious to see if anyone posts a recipe for one! :tongue:
  • geekyjen
    geekyjen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    i love them in a sandwich or open-faced toast. I mash a quarter of an avocado on a piece of toast, add a slice of tomato and a little bit of onion with some salt and pepper on top and it's sooooo good.

they're also great in omelets. mix them with some egg whites in the morning and it's delicious. mmmm.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I remember on top chef a couple seasons back someone made an avocado ice cream, so I'm sure a shake would work! Not sure on the recipe itself but try googling!!

I also like them on sandwiches, salads, tacos and such. Great sub for mayo
  • Brenna
    Brenna Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I mash them up, put salt/pepper on them and use them as the "meat" and mayo of a sandwich. For example, two slices of whole wheat bread, tomatos, shredded lettuce, onion, avacado. Yum!
  • jw17695
    Options
    Here is one that I googled but it doesn't sound so healthy.

SERVES 1 (change servings and units)
    Ingredients
    1 medium avocado
    1/4 cup condensed milk
    1-2 tablespoon sugar (to taste)
    1 cup ice

Directions
    Throw everything in a blender and process until consistency is smooth
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Yeah that doesn't sound healthy.
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I bet you could mix up the recipe with some fat free/low-cal substitutes.. I wonder if it would be good with malt too.. MMmmm.. I love malt! :tongue:
  • coderchris
    coderchris Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I saw on Dr Oz one day that he put an avocado and two cups milk and some honey in a blender and made a smoothie with it. Looked pretty good. I sometimes put it in my morning smoothie with blueberries. It gives it a very smooth and creamy consistency. Hope this helps.
  • PoisonSugar
    Options
    I almost puked when I read 'avacado shakes'. :)

www.Cooks.com or even www.foodnetwork.com has some pretty good recipes!
  • jw17695
    Options
    I almost puked when I read 'avacado shakes'. :)

www.Cooks.com or even www.foodnetwork.com has some pretty good recipes!

Oh that's funny. Do you not like avocados or the idea of the shake part?
  • lindachattin
    Options
    Shakes are easy and really tasty. Here is what I do:

1/2 avocado
    3/4 cup soy milk or non-fat milk
    1-2 packets of Splenda or Equal
    2-3 ice cubes

Really good. Really filling. And about 190 calories + 2 grams of fiber + fewer than 15 grams of carbs + about 11 grams of protein.
  • jw17695
    Options
    So what do I do if I don't like splenda or sugar. I don't have much of a sweet tooth. Even the honey idea might be too much for me. But without something else it might be too plain.
  • brakkes
    brakkes Posts: 2
    Options
    Never tried it in a shake. Sounds interesting! I like to make a sandwich with it. Whole grain bread, Weight watchers cream cheese, sliced avocado and turkey. Yummy!!! I also like to dice up avocado, tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, corn, black beans and shake in salt and pepper and eat that with low fat triscuits.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Toast a pita bread or a bagel, mash up some avocado, spread on top and top with a little salt and I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray and you're good to go.
  • themethod
    themethod Posts: 257
    Options
    I love avocados on sandwiches, salads, in tacos, etc. The best taste ever (but not calorie count) is avocado on pizza with goat cheese, pesto, and red onion.

I used to love bagels with cream cheese, avocado, tomato, red onion, garlic powder, salt, and pepper for breakfast. I'm sure that could be adapted to be a bit better for you...

Try using it instead of sour cream, mayo, butter, oil, or cheese in recipes that aren't heated.

A really ripe avocado is good chopped, and then sprinkled with lemon juice and salt. Directions: eat it!
  • kermiehiho
    kermiehiho Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    1/2 avocado
    1/2 banana
    1/2 cup milk
    1 T honey
    blend and refrigerate.
    so good. and filling. ^_________^
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Yeah that doesn't sound healthy.

Must agree. I LOVE Avocados soooooooooo much, I put them on everything, my Homemade Sushi(FOODGASM), sandwiches, salads, burgers, bagels, pizza, wraps, tacos, dips, in a bowl, etc, the list goes on, it's just so good, I can't get enough.

As a shake/drink though, kind of drawing a blank as far as ever having tried anything like that, but it could definitely add bulk and healthy fats if mixed with something with enough natural sweetness to balance it out.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Why not a shake? They put spinach and other veggies in a shake...I'd try it.
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    I only use Haas avacados....mmmm. I dice them up and mix with salsa. Put that on top of Southwester egg beater......mmmmm
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    bump