Starting Couch to 5K With Sore Muscles

Options
This may be a dumb question, but I didn’t know who to ask, so here goes.

I did a stairway workout on Thursday (16 flights) and my legs feel like someone has beaten them with 2x4’s. Wanted to start my C 2 5K training today.

Should I postpone until I can navigate steps without pain, or is it okay to go for it? I know muscle soreness means tears in the muscle tissue and that one needs a at least a day to let them rest, but it’s day three, today . I don’t want to hurt so badly I can’t move again tomorrow, or cause a situation that will force me to not start for days and days, if that makes sense?

Thanks in advance.

PS…yes, I am an exercise newb, and don’t want to be a couch potato for the rest of my life, but don’t want to kill myself, either. :ohwell:

Replies

• nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I actually feel better after a run when my legs are sore from bootcamp. I heard that it helps with eliminating the lactic acid from
    Your muscles therefore lessening the soreness :)
  • cyberiarob
    cyberiarob Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I would say take some time to rest, it's not good to workout with that much soreness - especially for beginners. With that said, you could probably start c25k if you really want - that program starts off pretty slow.
  • gracieb72
    Options
    I would go for it. I did the Couch to 5K program - you don't have to go fast, go at your own pace. I was always very slow, so slow I could probably walk faster than I was running.
  • KupCake0720
    Options
    I sorta had the same issue this morning. Yesterday morning i did a 30min HIIT nike training app workout and was planning on doing some more this morning. Well I'm so sore that even bending down to sit is a task lol. So I decided to rest up today and just did a walk around the neighborhood with my dog. I suggest if the soreness isn't too bad then go for it but if it's painful rest up instead.
  • motherbetty
    motherbetty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    My legs were sore for 2 days from Jillian Michaels' 'No More Trouble Zones' DVD that I did on Thursday, but I ran my C25K program yesterday and it seemed to help. I'm on Week 2, Day 3. I walked a little longer than the app told me in the middle of the run because I felt really tired, so I will probably repeat the day again tomorrow, but my legs do feel a bit better this morning. You can always walk more than it says! Good luck.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Doesn't hurt to try, if it is painful, stop.

Also, try mobility exercises prior to running. Before running try using a foam roller on your legs.
  • DeanBurrows
    DeanBurrows Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You are feeling the effects of DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) and you will feel the most ache and tightness around Day 3.

i.e

Day 1 - Train Legs
    Day 2 - Tightness and slight tender/sore
    Day 3 - Holy hell there it is!

Especially when you first start, after i did my first Leg session in the Gym i could barely walk for 5 days straight but after that your muscles get a lot better at handling DOMS and some people are lucky to never get it.

I personally enjoy DOMS... it feels like success!

Also... give it until your legs feel fine before doing it again.
    You need to give muscles rest, a lot of people overlook that side of things.

But once the first week or 2 is out the way you will be fine to train them a lot more often.
  • kfesta52
    kfesta52 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Start slow and take it easy but go for your run. You might find at first your muscles might feel tight and you might feel goofy for the first bunch of steps, like you can't quite run or walk right, but as your muscles warm up you shouldn't feel the soreness anymore. Of course, it will come back when you stop and cool down, and you are likely to get sore again all over from the additional exercise, but the soreness is rarely as bad again as it is the first time you do something. So get out there and get the first one over with! :)

Enjoy!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I would go ahead and start. The first part of c25k is mostly walking, and what little running you do is at your own pace. You'll be fine
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    You guys are great! :bigsmile:

Thank you for the help. I am going to go ahead and give it a go this afternoon when it warms up a little bit. The worst that can happen is the neighbors can call me Forest Gump, right? (Thankfully I live on a cul de sac, so there are few neighbors, LOL!)
  • juliemouse83
    Options
    Y’all, I did it! :bigsmile:
  • Starfish1125
    Starfish1125 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    YAY!!!!!!!!!!!
  • hollyferweda
    Options
    juliemouse, I am also doing the couch to 5k! you should friend me so we can do it together! I started a few days ago!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Nice job
  • aj445
    aj445 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Good job starting! A light run usually helps my sore muscles too.
  • Griffda
    Options
    Hi all...I'm just starting everything..MFP calorie counting and want to start an exercise program. I am no stranger to sore muscles but haven't exercised in YEARS! The one time I did try & start working out at a gym I thought I was going to die. I could hardly walk to the car afterwards. The days that followed were even scary as I thought to myself...I should have used the handicap toliets to help pull myself to a standing position. Get the picture?....lol Anyway I know the saying no pain no gain but I don't want that much pain.
    Couch to 5K program sounds interesting. What is it and where do I find it? Also, I've never posted to a message board before so I hope I can find my way back to get the answer....lol
    Griffda @ MFP :)
  • juliemouse83
    Options
    Ok...I know it's the endorphins talking, but, I have to say that I feel REALLY good. Legs are a little stiff, but feel oh-so-much better! I surprised myself by getting through the entire thing without stopping!

I'm ready to go pick up a car, now, LOL... :bigsmile:
  • juliemouse83
    Options
    Hi all...I'm just starting everything..MFP calorie counting and want to start an exercise program. I am no stranger to sore muscles but haven't exercised in YEARS! The one time I did try & start working out at a gym I thought I was going to die. I could hardly walk to the car afterwards. The days that followed were even scary as I thought to myself...I should have used the handicap toliets to help pull myself to a standing position. Get the picture?....lol Anyway I know the saying no pain no gain but I don't want that much pain.
    Couch to 5K program sounds interesting. What is it and where do I find it? Also, I've never posted to a message board before so I hope I can find my way back to get the answer....lol
    Griffda @ MFP :)

Oh, I totally understand the handicapped stall-concept. I wish I'd had those bars at my house yesterday, LOL...

I tried to do "Couch" on my treadmill (ok, ex-treadmill) a year or so ago, and failed on week 1 day 1 so miserably I didn't do it again, until this week. It's a walk/jog program that gently (?) eases you into being able to run a 5K in 9 weeks. I don't know about everyone else, but I found it easier to do it outside than inside on a treadmill.

I figured I needed to do something because I agreed to do a 5K mud run in the spring.

I downloaded the app for my phone at the Apple Ap Store, but found out about it here: http://www.active.com/mobile/c25k they have it for Android, too, I believe...if that's what the Google-Play site is.

Hope that helps?